* fuggedabadit
       [not found] <S1750942AbZFNEso/20090614044844Z+270@vger.kernel.org>
@ 2009-06-14  4:51 ` Phlip
From: Phlip @ 2009-06-14  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Gitsters:

El Goog has the wrong answer for the question "how do I forget about a file?"
Someone cheerfully directed me to git rm, as equivalent to svn rm.

I don't need the actual file to go away. (I, uh, mumble, checked in too much
when starting out, and now git commit is slooow.)

How do I tell git to forget about a file, but leave on my hard drive?

--
   Phlip

* Re: fuggedabadit
@ 2009-06-14  7:07   ` Santi Béjar
From: Santi Béjar @ 2009-06-14  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phlip; +Cc: git

2009/6/14 Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com>:
> Gitsters:
>
> El Goog has the wrong answer for the question "how do I forget about a
> file?" Someone cheerfully directed me to git rm, as equivalent to svn rm.
>
> I don't need the actual file to go away. (I, uh, mumble, checked in too much
> when starting out, and now git commit is slooow.)
>
> How do I tell git to forget about a file, but leave on my hard drive?

man git-rm or:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-rm.html

have the answer.

HTH,
Santi

* Re: fuggedabadit
@ 2009-06-14  8:25   ` Sverre Rabbelier
From: Sverre Rabbelier @ 2009-06-14  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phlip; +Cc: git

Heya,

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 06:51, Phlip<phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I tell git to forget about a file, but leave on my hard drive?

Do you want to simply 'git rm --cached && git commit -m "remove file"'
 to create a commit that removes it, or do you want to remove the file
from your repo's history too? If the latter is the case, you should
look into 'git filter-branch'.

--
Cheers,

Sverre Rabbelier