* [bug] git cannot find "git pull"?
@ 2009-06-12  0:10 Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2009-06-12  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just upgraded to Fedora 11 (git-1.6.2.2-1.fc11.x86_64), and see the
following:

> [jgarzik@viper linux-2.6]$ git pull
> git: 'pull' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.
>
> Did you mean this?
> 	shell

Bleh...  :)  "git --help" indicates that "git pull" still exists.

	Jeff

* Re: [bug] git cannot find "git pull"?
@ 2009-06-12  1:17 ` Todd Zullinger
From: Todd Zullinger @ 2009-06-12  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I just upgraded to Fedora 11 (git-1.6.2.2-1.fc11.x86_64), and see
> the following:
>
>> [jgarzik@viper linux-2.6]$ git pull
>> git: 'pull' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.
>>
>> Did you mean this?
>> 	shell
>

> Bleh...  :)  "git --help" indicates that "git pull" still exists.

Yuck.  I can't reproduce this (and I would hope that if the Fedora
packages have been broken for many weeks that someone would have
noticed and complained loudly before the release...).  Of course, if
there is something horribly wrong with the Fedora packages, I'll try
to get it fixed as quickly as possible.

Do you happen to have any strange PATH set, other non-packaged git
binaries installed, or funky aliases/settings in your git config?
Does the problem occur after an upgrade or clean install?  For all
users?

It is notable that Fedora 11 is the first Fedora release that follows
the git 1.6.x defaults and installs most git binaries outside of PATH.
I don't think that would cause this, and I haven't had any troubles
running these packages for many months, but that's never stopped
really obvious bugs in the past...

(Apologies for the obscenely silly questions.  I'm just hoping they
might help lead to the root cause so we can make sure it's fixed. ;)

If the triangles were to make a God they would give him three sides.
    -- Montesquieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 542 bytes --]

* Re: [bug] git cannot find "git pull"?
@ 2009-06-12  2:44   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2009-06-12  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com> writes:

> It is notable that Fedora 11 is the first Fedora release that follows
> the git 1.6.x defaults and installs most git binaries outside of PATH.
> I don't think that would cause this, and I haven't had any troubles
> running these packages for many months, but that's never stopped
> really obvious bugs in the past...

I do not follow distro packaged versions of git, but it may help to double
check your spec changes against the output of

    $ git log -p v1.5.6..v1.6.2.2 -- git.spec.in

to see which paths need to be updated.

Of course, you might not be using a specfile remotely similar to what we
have in-tree (I believe it was originally done by Chris Wright who is
listed as one of the persons who have something to do with Fedora packaged
versions of git in your maintainers list), so this may not be a helpful
tip at all, in which case I apologize...

* Re: [bug] git cannot find "git pull"?
@ 2009-06-12  3:18     ` Todd Zullinger
From: Todd Zullinger @ 2009-06-12  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> It is notable that Fedora 11 is the first Fedora release that
>> follows the git 1.6.x defaults and installs most git binaries
>> outside of PATH.  I don't think that would cause this, and I
>> haven't had any troubles running these packages for many months,
>> but that's never stopped really obvious bugs in the past...
>
> I do not follow distro packaged versions of git, but it may help to
> double check your spec changes against the output of
>
>     $ git log -p v1.5.6..v1.6.2.2 -- git.spec.in
>
> to see which paths need to be updated.

AFAIK, we're installing things in the correct locations.  git-pull is
located with the rest of the git commands in /usr/libexec/git-core
(which is what 'git --exec-path' shows).

The Fedora 10 packages (unfortunately, IMO) set gitexecdir=%{_bindir},
but that was rectified as soon as the Fedora 11 cycle started and we
tried to track each upstream git release closely until things were
frozen to make the release.  I know there are a good number of fedora
developers and packagers who use git, so I would really expect that
we'd have seen pitchfork wielding mobs if we broke the packaging
badly. ;)

> Of course, you might not be using a specfile remotely similar to
> what we have in-tree (I believe it was originally done by Chris
> Wright who is listed as one of the persons who have something to do
> with Fedora packaged versions of git in your maintainers list), so
> this may not be a helpful tip at all, in which case I apologize...

Your help and insight is always welcome Junio. :)

Chris has been busy with other things for a while.  I started helping
with git package maintenance only in the last 6 months or so.  Over
time, the spec file we have has drifted a bit from what is in git.git,
though not terribly so.  I need to spend some time and look at what,
if any, changes in the Fedora spec file would be good candidates for
submitting to git.git.  I have been primarily concerned with making
things work cleanly on Fedora and RHEL/CentOS though, so some of the
changes may not be as generic as they ought to be if they are to be
included in git.git.

Rowe's Rule: The odds are five to six that the light at the end of the
tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train.
    -- Paul Dickson

@ 2009-06-12  5:15       ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2009-06-12  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com> writes:

> Chris has been busy with other things for a while.  I started helping
> with git package maintenance only in the last 6 months or so.  Over
> time, the spec file we have has drifted a bit from what is in git.git,
> though not terribly so.  I need to spend some time and look at what,
> if any, changes in the Fedora spec file would be good candidates for
> submitting to git.git.  I have been primarily concerned with making
> things work cleanly on Fedora and RHEL/CentOS though, so some of the
> changes may not be as generic as they ought to be if they are to be
> included in git.git.

I use the one in git.git only to cut the Fedora 9 packages for consumption
by k.org people.  I do not know what their upgrade plans are, but last
time they upgraded from FC 5 to Fedora 9 I had to scramble around and find
an i386 box to produce binaries (the machine available to me at k.org is
amd64).  Perhaps I should start preparing Fedora 11 environment now it is
finally released, but before that I need to procure a new development box
to host it in a vm, as the current box that is the primary integration
machine for git and that hosts the Fedora 9 i386 vm has got too tight and
I've been limping along; it does not have enough room to host another vm
(and it is not even hardware vm capable)...

* Re: [bug] git cannot find "git pull"?
@ 2009-06-12  6:52         ` J.H.
From: J.H. @ 2009-06-12  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> Chris has been busy with other things for a while.  I started helping
>> with git package maintenance only in the last 6 months or so.  Over
>> time, the spec file we have has drifted a bit from what is in git.git,
>> though not terribly so.  I need to spend some time and look at what,
>> if any, changes in the Fedora spec file would be good candidates for
>> submitting to git.git.  I have been primarily concerned with making
>> things work cleanly on Fedora and RHEL/CentOS though, so some of the
>> changes may not be as generic as they ought to be if they are to be
>> included in git.git.
>
> I use the one in git.git only to cut the Fedora 9 packages for consumption
> by k.org people.  I do not know what their upgrade plans are, but last
> time they upgraded from FC 5 to Fedora 9 I had to scramble around and find
> an i386 box to produce binaries (the machine available to me at k.org is
> amd64).  Perhaps I should start preparing Fedora 11 environment now it is
> finally released, but before that I need to procure a new development box
> to host it in a vm, as the current box that is the primary integration
> machine for git and that hosts the Fedora 9 i386 vm has got too tight and
> I've been limping along; it does not have enough room to host another vm
> (and it is not even hardware vm capable)...

The general idea is when we aren't getting security updates for our
current install base, that is when we (k.org) will make the move to upgrade.

That said, since 11 just came out I'm going to have to start considering
and working on an upgrade plan, but I wouldn't expect that to be getting
to a point where it would affect you for a few months yet, and I would
hate to upgrade to Fedora 11 before it's had a chance to settle and stew.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley

* Re: [bug] git cannot find "git pull"?
@ 2009-06-12 11:30   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2009-06-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> I just upgraded to Fedora 11 (git-1.6.2.2-1.fc11.x86_64), and see
>> the following:
>>
>>> [jgarzik@viper linux-2.6]$ git pull
>>> git: 'pull' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.
>>>
>>> Did you mean this?
>>> 	shell
>>
>> Bleh...  :)  "git --help" indicates that "git pull" still exists.
>
> Yuck.  I can't reproduce this (and I would hope that if the Fedora
> packages have been broken for many weeks that someone would have
> noticed and complained loudly before the release...).  Of course, if
> there is something horribly wrong with the Fedora packages, I'll try
> to get it fixed as quickly as possible.
>
> Do you happen to have any strange PATH set, other non-packaged git
> binaries installed, or funky aliases/settings in your git config?
> Does the problem occur after an upgrade or clean install?  For all
> users?

No strange PATH settings, and this was a completely fresh
Fedora-11/x86-64 reformat and reinstall...

Adding "--exec-path=/usr/libexec/git-core" seems to work.

I wonder if it is looking for /usr/libexec64/git-core or something?

@ 2009-06-12 19:10     ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2009-06-12 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> No strange PATH settings, and this was a completely fresh
> Fedora-11/x86-64 reformat and reinstall...
>
> Adding "--exec-path=/usr/libexec/git-core" seems to work.
>
> I wonder if it is looking for /usr/libexec64/git-core or something?

Same failure (with same workaround) on Fedora 11/i386, fresh install.

@ 2009-06-12 20:26       ` Todd Zullinger
From: Todd Zullinger @ 2009-06-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> No strange PATH settings, and this was a completely fresh
>> Fedora-11/x86-64 reformat and reinstall...
>>
>> Adding "--exec-path=/usr/libexec/git-core" seems to work.
>>
>> I wonder if it is looking for /usr/libexec64/git-core or something?
>
> Same failure (with same workaround) on Fedora 11/i386, fresh
> install.

Well hell.  I can't reproduce this.  I setup an F-11/x86_64 instance
and had no troubles.  Similarly for i386 using the Live USB image.

Is it possible that some other package is screwing up the git search
path?  Running strings on /usr/bin/git I find libexec/git-core, so I
don't think it's trying libexec64, which doesn't exist in an Fedora
release that I know of.

I'd be very curious if anyone else can reproduce this and what
differences there are in the package list between my working system
and your broken ones.

Education is a state-controlled manufactory of echoes.
    -- Norman Douglas

@ 2009-06-12 20:49         ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2009-06-12 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>> No strange PATH settings, and this was a completely fresh
>>> Fedora-11/x86-64 reformat and reinstall...
>>>
>>> Adding "--exec-path=/usr/libexec/git-core" seems to work.
>>>
>>> I wonder if it is looking for /usr/libexec64/git-core or something?
>> Same failure (with same workaround) on Fedora 11/i386, fresh
>> install.
>
> Well hell.  I can't reproduce this.  I setup an F-11/x86_64 instance
> and had no troubles.  Similarly for i386 using the Live USB image.
>
> Is it possible that some other package is screwing up the git search
> path?  Running strings on /usr/bin/git I find libexec/git-core, so I
> don't think it's trying libexec64, which doesn't exist in an Fedora
> release that I know of.
>
> I'd be very curious if anyone else can reproduce this and what
> differences there are in the package list between my working system
> and your broken ones.

FWIW, to reproduce my Fedora install, this is the setup I always use for
my lab computers:

* perform a fresh format + install, not an upgrade
* uncheck 'office' category
* check 'software development' category
* do not select 'customize now', thus using Fedora's default package
selection

So it is 100% Fedora-shipped software in $PATH...

Regards,

@ 2009-06-13 15:04           ` Todd Zullinger
From: Todd Zullinger @ 2009-06-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> FWIW, to reproduce my Fedora install, this is the setup I always use
> for my lab computers:
>
> * perform a fresh format + install, not an upgrade
> * uncheck 'office' category
> * check 'software development' category
> * do not select 'customize now', thus using Fedora's default package
> selection

Stranger and stranger.  I followed the above steps with an F-11/x86
network install and then ran:

    $ git clone git://repo.or.cz/git.git
    $ cd git ; git pull
    Already up-to-date.

    $ rpm -q git
    git-1.6.2.2-1.fc11.i586

    $ rpm -ql git | grep git-pull$
    /usr/libexec/git-core/git-pull

Does git --exec-path report something other than /usr/libexec/git-core
on your installs?  Is git-pull located in /usr/libexec/git-core?  Does
'rpm -V git' return anything?

Few things are harder to put up with than a good example.
    -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

@ 2009-06-13 17:22             ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2009-06-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> FWIW, to reproduce my Fedora install, this is the setup I always use
>> for my lab computers:
>>
>> * perform a fresh format + install, not an upgrade
>> * uncheck 'office' category
>> * check 'software development' category
>> * do not select 'customize now', thus using Fedora's default package
>> selection
>
> Stranger and stranger.  I followed the above steps with an F-11/x86
> network install and then ran:

Found it!  A forgotten package I created, a collective of shell scripts,
was setting GIT_EXEC_PATH=/usr/local/bin.

Given that /usr/local/bin/*git* has not existed on my systems for a long
time, it appears that this is a new behavior, being a bit more strict in
complaining about an invalid GIT_EXEC_PATH, rather than simply falling
back to the internal compiled default (/usr/libexec/git-core).

Things are working again now that the local GIT_EXEC_PATH export is removed.

@ 2009-06-13 17:36               ` Todd Zullinger
From: Todd Zullinger @ 2009-06-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Found it!  A forgotten package I created, a collective of shell
> scripts, was setting GIT_EXEC_PATH=/usr/local/bin.

Phew.  I was worried I might have to start drinking much earlier than
usual today. ;)

> Given that /usr/local/bin/*git* has not existed on my systems for a
> long time, it appears that this is a new behavior, being a bit more
> strict in complaining about an invalid GIT_EXEC_PATH, rather than
> simply falling back to the internal compiled default
> (/usr/libexec/git-core).

Without looking closely at the make files and build logic, is it
perhaps something caused by the previous Fedora git-1.6.0.x packages
passing gitexecdir=%{_bindir} to make, while the F-11 and newer
packages do not set any gitexecdir?

> Things are working again now that the local GIT_EXEC_PATH export is
> removed.

Glad you found the culprit.

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake -
which I also keep handy.
    -- W. C. Fields

@ 2009-06-15 17:23                 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2009-06-15 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Found it!  A forgotten package I created, a collective of shell
>> scripts, was setting GIT_EXEC_PATH=/usr/local/bin.
>
> Phew.  I was worried I might have to start drinking much earlier than
> usual today. ;)
>
>> Given that /usr/local/bin/*git* has not existed on my systems for a
>> long time, it appears that this is a new behavior, being a bit more
>> strict in complaining about an invalid GIT_EXEC_PATH, rather than
>> simply falling back to the internal compiled default
>> (/usr/libexec/git-core).
>
> Without looking closely at the make files and build logic, is it
> perhaps something caused by the previous Fedora git-1.6.0.x packages
> passing gitexecdir=%{_bindir} to make, while the F-11 and newer
> packages do not set any gitexecdir?

Perhaps, though it seems more likely that this was a change in the core
git code, and not related to hardcoding gitexecdir= in the RPM build
process.

	Jeff