* PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-15 14:41 Michael Tokarev
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-kernel

Anyone know what happened with PC speaker in 2.6.30?
Basically, it does not work anymore here, with the
config which is very similar to the one used for
previous 2.6.29 kernel (where PC speaker worked).
At least I don't see any relevant differences and
the (seemengly) relevant symbols -- which are
INPUT_PCSPKR and PCSPKR_PLATFORM -- are both set
to 'y' for both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.

Help? :)

Thanks.

/mjt

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-15 16:57 ` Frans Pop
From: Frans Pop @ 2009-06-15 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Tokarev; +Cc: linux-kernel

Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Anyone know what happened with PC speaker in 2.6.30?
> Basically, it does not work anymore here, with the
> config which is very similar to the one used for
> previous 2.6.29 kernel (where PC speaker worked).
> At least I don't see any relevant differences and
> the (seemengly) relevant symbols -- which are
> INPUT_PCSPKR and PCSPKR_PLATFORM -- are both set
> to 'y' for both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.

For me the system beep has been replaced by a beep in ALSA with .30.

Do you have soundcard that uses HDA? Is CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP set?
Does alsamixer show a "beep" control? Is that not muted and does it have
volume set?

Cheers,
FJP

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-15 17:39   ` Ken Witherow
From: Ken Witherow @ 2009-06-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frans Pop; +Cc: Michael Tokarev, linux-kernel

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Frans Pop wrote:

> For me the system beep has been replaced by a beep in ALSA with .30.
>
> Do you have soundcard that uses HDA? Is CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP set?
> Does alsamixer show a "beep" control? Is that not muted and does it have
> volume set?

I had this exact same problem. I ran make oldconfig and was never prompted
for the new HDA config options. I could be wrong, but I can't remember
make oldconfig behaving this way in the past (or maybe it resulted in
changes that didn't have any noticeable effect). Having to reconfigure
the kernel over not being prompted for a new config option which changed
established behavior was annoying to say the least.

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-15 18:00   ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-15 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frans Pop; +Cc: linux-kernel

Frans Pop wrote:
> Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Anyone know what happened with PC speaker in 2.6.30?
>> Basically, it does not work anymore here, with the
>> config which is very similar to the one used for
>> previous 2.6.29 kernel (where PC speaker worked).
>> At least I don't see any relevant differences and
>> the (seemengly) relevant symbols -- which are
>> INPUT_PCSPKR and PCSPKR_PLATFORM -- are both set
>> to 'y' for both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.
>
> For me the system beep has been replaced by a beep in ALSA with .30.

Hmm...

> Do you have soundcard that uses HDA? Is CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP set?
> Does alsamixer show a "beep" control? Is that not muted and does it have
> volume set?

..Yes there is such a control and yes it is muted.  When un-muting it I do
hear an ugly/scary beep from my soundcard (from the speakers).  But I don't
have anything connected to the soundcard on any of my servers.

On a similar motherboard with 2.6.29 I've a "PC Speak" control which does
not do anything, at least not visible (or audible).

But I'd rather get my old good pc speaker back.  One thing is the sound
card with speakers which are only sometimes on and which produces very
very bad sound when the 'beeper' control is turned on, and another is the
old good PC internal speaker with a good "beep" sound.

Thanks!

/mjt

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-15 18:10     ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-15 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frans Pop; +Cc: linux-kernel

Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
>> Michael Tokarev wrote:
>>> Anyone know what happened with PC speaker in 2.6.30?
>>> Basically, it does not work anymore here, with the
>>> config which is very similar to the one used for
>>> previous 2.6.29 kernel (where PC speaker worked).
>>> At least I don't see any relevant differences and
>>> the (seemengly) relevant symbols -- which are
>>> INPUT_PCSPKR and PCSPKR_PLATFORM -- are both set
>>> to 'y' for both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.
>>
>> For me the system beep has been replaced by a beep in ALSA with .30.
>
> Hmm...
>
>> Do you have soundcard that uses HDA? Is CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP set?
>> Does alsamixer show a "beep" control? Is that not muted and does it
>> have volume set?
>
> ..Yes there is such a control and yes it is muted.  When un-muting it I do
> hear an ugly/scary beep from my soundcard (from the speakers).  But I don't
> have anything connected to the soundcard on any of my servers.

And this same config option (CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP) is present in
2.6.29 kernel.  Also set to y here.

> On a similar motherboard with 2.6.29 I've a "PC Speak" control which does
> not do anything, at least not visible (or audible).
>
> But I'd rather get my old good pc speaker back.  One thing is the sound
> card with speakers which are only sometimes on and which produces very
> very bad sound when the 'beeper' control is turned on, and another is the
> old good PC internal speaker with a good "beep" sound.
>
> Thanks!
>
> /mjt

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-15 18:22     ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-15 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Witherow; +Cc: Frans Pop, linux-kernel

Ken Witherow wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
>
>> For me the system beep has been replaced by a beep in ALSA with .30.
>>
>> Do you have soundcard that uses HDA? Is CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP set?
>> Does alsamixer show a "beep" control? Is that not muted and does it have
>> volume set?
>
> I had this exact same problem. I ran make oldconfig and was never
> prompted for the new HDA config options. I could be wrong, but I can't
> remember make oldconfig behaving this way in the past (or maybe it
> resulted in changes that didn't have any noticeable effect). Having to
> reconfigure the kernel over not being prompted for a new config option
> which changed established behavior was annoying to say the least.

As I noted in my other email, this option (CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP)
is not new, it is present in 2.6.29 too.  So it's a behavor change which
is not "backed up" by a config option -- there's no option to prompt
for.

/mjt

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-26  6:03 ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-26  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-input, alsa-devel

[Adding some more Cc's...]

Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
(when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
question... ;)

Thanks!

From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-26  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: alsa-devel, linux-input

[Adding some more Cc's...]

Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
(when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
question... ;)

Thanks!

Michael Tokarev wrote at Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:41:42 +0400:
> Anyone know what happened with PC speaker in 2.6.30?
> Basically, it does not work anymore here, with the
> config which is very similar to the one used for
> previous 2.6.29 kernel (where PC speaker worked).
> At least I don't see any relevant differences and
> the (seemengly) relevant symbols -- which are
> INPUT_PCSPKR and PCSPKR_PLATFORM -- are both set
> to 'y' for both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.
>
> Help? :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> /mjt

* Re: [alsa-devel] PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-27  7:36   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-27  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Tokarev; +Cc: alsa-devel, alsa-devel, linux-input

At Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:03:54 +0400,
Michael Tokarev wrote:

> [Adding some more Cc's...]
>
> Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
> silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
> able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
> out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
> can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
> (when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
> But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
> question... ;)

Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.

Takashi

* Re: [alsa-devel] PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-27 10:33     ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-27 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, alsa-devel, linux-input

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:03:54 +0400,
> Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> [Adding some more Cc's...]
>>
>> Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
>> silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
>> able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
>> out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
>> can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
>> (when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
>> But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
>> question... ;)
>
> Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.

You mean this one:

commit fa7979663190240b838ab8c8bad7f59e618bf77c
Author: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
Date:   Tue May 19 12:50:04 2009 +0200

     ALSA: hda - Fix digital beep tone calculation

?

Note it's about alsa/hda beep.  Probably to make my new
"alsa beeps" less scary.  But I'm asking about PC speaker --
see the $subject line.  I'm missing PC speaker beeps, not
alsa beeps.

Thanks!

/mjt

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-28  6:39     ` Paul Vojta
From: Paul Vojta @ 2009-06-28  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel, Michael Tokarev

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:03:54 +0400,
> Michael Tokarev wrote:
> >
> > [Adding some more Cc's...]
> >
> > Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
> > silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
> > able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
> > out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
> > can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
> > (when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
> > But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
> > question... ;)
>
> Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.

Not necessarily.  Based on the OP's original post, as well as his mails
to the LKML (Google the subject line to find them), he has a desktop
system with external powered speakers connected to a sound card, and also
a small PC speaker inside the system case.  He wants to hear the beeps
coming out of the small speaker, since the external speakers (and/or sound
card) are not always turned on.

For that, try turning off SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP.

(Regarding the beep frequency issue, the patch in 2.6.31-rc1 works for
all HDA codecs *EXCEPT* sigmatel/idt.  For sigmatel/idt, please see the
patch in bug #0004556.)

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-28  8:38       ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-28  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Vojta; +Cc: alsa-devel, Michael Tokarev

At Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:39:08 -0700,
Paul Vojta wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:03:54 +0400,
> > Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > >
> > > [Adding some more Cc's...]
> > >
> > > Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
> > > silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
> > > able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
> > > out by others there is a control now, in alsa, and I
> > > can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
> > > (when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).
> > > But that's.. not a solution/answer to the original
> > > question... ;)
> >
> > Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.
>
> Not necessarily.  Based on the OP's original post, as well as his mails
> to the LKML (Google the subject line to find them), he has a desktop
> system with external powered speakers connected to a sound card, and also
> a small PC speaker inside the system case.  He wants to hear the beeps
> coming out of the small speaker, since the external speakers (and/or sound
> card) are not always turned on.

To avoid someone misunderstanding: the beep routed through HD-audio
can also go to the built-in speaker.  It's just mixed up with the
normal audio output, and the volume is controlled via ALSA mixer
volume element.

But, once after it's hooked up to the codec, the beep can't be output
separately to the speaker.  It's always with other audio signal to the
same output target.

Or, on some systems (mostly laptops), the beep is hooked up to the
codec automatically no matter whether you set
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP once when the codec chip is initialized.
So, the behavior depends pretty much on the hardware implementation.

Takashi

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-28 11:09         ` Kurt J. Bosch
From: Kurt J. Bosch @ 2009-06-28 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On 2009-06-28 10:38, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:39:08 -0700,
> Paul Vojta wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:36:42AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Try 2.6.31-rc1.  There was a fix regarding beep frequency.
>>
>> Not necessarily.  Based on the OP's original post, as well as his mails
>> to the LKML (Google the subject line to find them), he has a desktop
>> system with external powered speakers connected to a sound card, and also
>> a small PC speaker inside the system case.  He wants to hear the beeps
>> coming out of the small speaker, since the external speakers (and/or sound
>> card) are not always turned on.
>
> To avoid someone misunderstanding: the beep routed through HD-audio
> can also go to the built-in speaker.  It's just mixed up with the
> normal audio output, and the volume is controlled via ALSA mixer
> volume element.
>
> But, once after it's hooked up to the codec, the beep can't be output
> separately to the speaker.  It's always with other audio signal to the
> same output target.
>
> Or, on some systems (mostly laptops), the beep is hooked up to the
> codec automatically no matter whether you set
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP once when the codec chip is initialized.
> So, the behavior depends pretty much on the hardware implementation.

I face the same problem as the OP since kernel 2.6.30 on ArchLinux on
a desktop machine. I was able to get beep working through the built in
speaker again by doing a 'modprobe -r pcspkr' followed by a
'modprobe pcspkr' after sysinit. It seems there is some kind of
struggle goinig on here between alsa and pcspkr. Isn't there any
kernel line or modules configuration option to disable the alsa pc-beep?

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-29 12:47   ` Frans Pop
From: Frans Pop @ 2009-06-29 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Tokarev; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-input, alsa-devel

Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
> silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
> able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
> out by others there is a control now, in alsa,

Did you actually try compiling a kernel without CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
set? If you do, does your PC speaker work again?

If it does work again, I don't think there is a bug, at least not in the
fact that the old PC speaker beep no longer works: if you have a HDA
soundcard in the system _and_ the driver is loaded _and_
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP is set, then it seems logical to me that that
takes over system beeps.
The fact that the config option also existed in 2.6.29 but did not work
the same seems a minor issue to me.

If your PC speaker still does not work when CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP is
not set, then there is something to look into.

> and I can hear ugly and scary beeps from my stereo speakers
> (when they're turned on and when the control is un-muted).

This may be a separate issue. On my system the beep sounds "normal". It
has been changed in 2.6.31-rc1 to a slightly lower sound.

What exactly do you mean by "ugly and scary"? I have the volume for the
beep set to about 50% because otherwise it is just too loud. Have you
tried that?

If it really does sound bad, maybe the ALSA developers could look into
that, but you will have to describe it better (or maybe make a
recording?).

Cheers,
FJP

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-29 14:29     ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2009-06-29 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frans Pop; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-input, alsa-devel

Frans Pop wrote:
> Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Am I the only concerned about this?  My 2.6.30 is still
>> silent w.r.t. old good PC speaker beeps, and I wasn't
>> able to make it to produce any sound.  Yes, as pointed
>> out by others there is a control now, in alsa,
>
> Did you actually try compiling a kernel without CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
> set? If you do, does your PC speaker work again?

Yes it works.  Even with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP set,
but without the module loaded.  See all the details at
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13651

> If it does work again, I don't think there is a bug, at least not in the
> fact that the old PC speaker beep no longer works: if you have a HDA
> soundcard in the system _and_ the driver is loaded _and_
> CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP is set, then it seems logical to me that that
> takes over system beeps.
> The fact that the config option also existed in 2.6.29 but did not work
> the same seems a minor issue to me.

Original issue was that I didn't know what to do.

[]
> If it really does sound bad, maybe the ALSA developers could look into
> that, but you will have to describe it better (or maybe make a
> recording?).

There was another, unrelated bug, fixed for 2.6.31-tobe.

/mjt

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-29 23:24           ` Paul Vojta
From: Paul Vojta @ 2009-06-29 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt J. Bosch; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:09:26PM +0200, Kurt J. Bosch wrote:
> On 2009-06-28 10:38, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:39:08 -0700,
> > Paul Vojta wrote:

> >> Not necessarily.  Based on the OP's original post, as well as his mails
> >> to the LKML (Google the subject line to find them), he has a desktop
> >> system with external powered speakers connected to a sound card, and also
> >> a small PC speaker inside the system case.  He wants to hear the beeps
> >> coming out of the small speaker, since the external speakers (and/or sound
> >> card) are not always turned on.
> >
> > To avoid someone misunderstanding: the beep routed through HD-audio
> > can also go to the built-in speaker.  It's just mixed up with the
> > normal audio output, and the volume is controlled via ALSA mixer
> > volume element.
> >
> > But, once after it's hooked up to the codec, the beep can't be output
> > separately to the speaker.  It's always with other audio signal to the
> > same output target.
> >
> > Or, on some systems (mostly laptops), the beep is hooked up to the
> > codec automatically no matter whether you set
> > CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP once when the codec chip is initialized.
> > So, the behavior depends pretty much on the hardware implementation.
> >
> I face the same problem as the OP since kernel 2.6.30 on ArchLinux on
> a desktop machine. I was able to get beep working through the built in
> speaker again by doing a 'modprobe -r pcspkr' followed by a
> 'modprobe pcspkr' after sysinit. It seems there is some kind of
> struggle goinig on here between alsa and pcspkr. Isn't there any
> kernel line or modules configuration option to disable the alsa pc-beep?

Hm... apparently not.  Probably there should be a module option for this, though.

@ 2009-06-30  5:57             ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-30  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Vojta; +Cc: Kurt J. Bosch, alsa-devel

At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:24:14 -0700,
Paul Vojta wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:09:26PM +0200, Kurt J. Bosch wrote:
> > On 2009-06-28 10:38, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > To avoid someone misunderstanding: the beep routed through HD-audio
> > > can also go to the built-in speaker.  It's just mixed up with the
> > > normal audio output, and the volume is controlled via ALSA mixer
> > > volume element.
> > >
> > > But, once after it's hooked up to the codec, the beep can't be output
> > > separately to the speaker.  It's always with other audio signal to the
> > > same output target.
> > >
> > > Or, on some systems (mostly laptops), the beep is hooked up to the
> > > codec automatically no matter whether you set
> > > CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP once when the codec chip is initialized.
> > > So, the behavior depends pretty much on the hardware implementation.
> > >
> > I face the same problem as the OP since kernel 2.6.30 on ArchLinux on
> > a desktop machine. I was able to get beep working through the built in
> > speaker again by doing a 'modprobe -r pcspkr' followed by a
> > 'modprobe pcspkr' after sysinit. It seems there is some kind of
> > struggle goinig on here between alsa and pcspkr. Isn't there any
> > kernel line or modules configuration option to disable the alsa pc-beep?
>
> Hm... apparently not.  Probably there should be a module option for this, though.

In the latest sound git tree, you can use "patch" file (passed via
module option) to specify codec-specific setup.
It's for 2.6.32, though.

Takashi

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-30 11:31               ` Kurt J. Bosch
From: Kurt J. Bosch @ 2009-06-30 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 2009-06-30 07:57, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:24:14 -0700,
> Paul Vojta wrote:

>>> I face the same problem as the OP since kernel 2.6.30 on ArchLinux on
>>> a desktop machine. I was able to get beep working through the built in
>>> speaker again by doing a 'modprobe -r pcspkr' followed by a
>>> 'modprobe pcspkr' after sysinit. It seems there is some kind of
>>> struggle goinig on here between alsa and pcspkr. Isn't there any
>>> kernel line or modules configuration option to disable the alsa pc-beep?
>>
>> Hm... apparently not.  Probably there should be a module option for this, though.
>
> In the latest sound git tree, you can use "patch" file (passed via
> module option) to specify codec-specific setup.
> It's for 2.6.32, though.

Sounds rather complicated to me. :)
ALSA's snd-hda-intel is stealing the beeps allready 'owned' by pcspkr.
It does
this every time it gets [re]loaded. Doing so while lacking a
configuration option
to disable that behavior is a bug IMHO. (If you use beep to get some alarm
notification from hardware sensors or such you will depend on stereo
speakers
connected and powered on.) Do I miss something ?

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-30 12:53                 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt J. Bosch; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:31:07 +0200,
Kurt J. Bosch wrote:

> On 2009-06-30 07:57, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:24:14 -0700,
> > Paul Vojta wrote:

> >> Hm... apparently not.  Probably there should be a module option for this, though.
> >
> > In the latest sound git tree, you can use "patch" file (passed via
> > module option) to specify codec-specific setup.
> > It's for 2.6.32, though.
> >
> Sounds rather complicated to me. :)
> ALSA's snd-hda-intel is stealing the beeps allready 'owned' by pcspkr.

It just adds another beep input device.

> It does
> this every time it gets [re]loaded. Doing so while lacking a
> configuration option
> to disable that behavior is a bug IMHO.

There is a configuration option.

> (If you use beep to get some alarm
> notification from hardware sensors or such you will depend on stereo
> speakers
> connected and powered on.) Do I miss something ?

Yes.

Takashi

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-30 15:35                   ` Kurt J. Bosch
From: Kurt J. Bosch @ 2009-06-30 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 2009-06-30 14:53, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:31:07 +0200,
> Kurt J. Bosch wrote:
>>
>> On 2009-06-30 07:57, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> In the latest sound git tree, you can use "patch" file (passed via
>>> module option) to specify codec-specific setup.
>>> It's for 2.6.32, though.
>>>
>> Sounds rather complicated to me. :)
>> ALSA's snd-hda-intel is stealing the beeps allready 'owned' by pcspkr.
>
> It just adds another beep input device.

If that is true both should sound in parallel and then I had to file a bug
against ArchLinux ?

>> It does
>> this every time it gets [re]loaded. Doing so while lacking a
>> configuration option
>> to disable that behavior is a bug IMHO.
>
> There is a configuration option.

But not for the kernel cmdline, right. ;)

>> (If you use beep to get some alarm
>> notification from hardware sensors or such you will depend on stereo
>> speakers
>> connected and powered on.) Do I miss something ?
>
> Yes.

Patching drivers and building my own kernels again as in the old days ?

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-30 15:40                     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt J. Bosch; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:35:00 +0200,
Kurt J. Bosch wrote:

> On 2009-06-30 14:53, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:31:07 +0200,
> > Kurt J. Bosch wrote:

> >> Sounds rather complicated to me. :)
> >> ALSA's snd-hda-intel is stealing the beeps allready 'owned' by pcspkr.
> >
> > It just adds another beep input device.
> >
> If that is true both should sound in parallel and then I had to file a bug
> against ArchLinux ?

It's a feature.

> >> It does
> >> this every time it gets [re]loaded. Doing so while lacking a
> >> configuration option
> >> to disable that behavior is a bug IMHO.
> >
> > There is a configuration option.
> >
> But not for the kernel cmdline, right. ;)

But you can do it via patch module option (in the later kernel).

> >> (If you use beep to get some alarm
> >> notification from hardware sensors or such you will depend on stereo
> >> speakers
> >> connected and powered on.) Do I miss something ?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> Patching drivers and building my own kernels again as in the old days ?

Why not?

Takashi

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-30 16:31                       ` Kurt J. Bosch
From: Kurt J. Bosch @ 2009-06-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

On 2009-06-30 17:40, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:35:00 +0200,
> Kurt J. Bosch wrote:
>>
>> On 2009-06-30 14:53, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> It just adds another beep input device.
>>>
>> If that is true both should sound in parallel and then I had to file a bug
>> against ArchLinux ?
>
> It's a feature.

If one module stealing functionality from the other an vice versa is a
feature
now than I think Linux became some kind of funny video game (like pong)
now. LoL

>>> There is a configuration option.
>>>
>> But not for the kernel cmdline, right. ;)
>
> But you can do it via patch module option (in the later kernel).

Later kernel ? That's why I keep the earlier kernel packages for
downgrading. ;)

>>> Yes.
>>>
>> Patching drivers and building my own kernels again as in the old days ?
>
> Why not?

Do you build all your machines (including type writers ans dish washers)
yourself ? :D

Have fun ! Cheers kujub

* Re: PC speaker beeps in 2.6.30?
@ 2009-06-30 19:33                         ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-06-30 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt J. Bosch; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:31:30 +0200,
Kurt J. Bosch wrote:

> On 2009-06-30 17:40, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:35:00 +0200,
> > Kurt J. Bosch wrote:

> >> If that is true both should sound in parallel and then I had to file a bug
> >> against ArchLinux ?
> >
> > It's a feature.
>
> If one module stealing functionality from the other an vice versa is a
> feature
> now than I think Linux became some kind of funny video game (like pong)
> now. LoL

Yes.  It's a designed behavior.  One calls it a "feature".
A feature can be of course bad, worse than other behavior.
But it's a different story.

> >> But not for the kernel cmdline, right. ;)
> >
> > But you can do it via patch module option (in the later kernel).
> >
> Later kernel ? That's why I keep the earlier kernel packages for
> downgrading. ;)

I guess it's not packaged by distros.

> >> Patching drivers and building my own kernels again as in the old days ?
> >
> > Why not?
>
> Do you build all your machines (including type writers ans dish washers)
> yourself ? :D

If I need to hack to achieve another feature, I'd do.  Seriously.
That's a goodness of open source.

Takashi