* DMA_ENGINE: can't use it without selecting a dma engine driver
@ 2009-06-16 21:53 Dragos Tatulea
From: Dragos Tatulea @ 2009-06-16 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

	Just discovered that it's impossible to select the dma engine without
	compiling a dma engine driver from the kernel. What if I want to use a
	different dma engine?

	I'm using CONFIG_DMADEVICES=y CONFIG_DMA_ENGINE=y (dependencies
	included),

Thanks,
Dragos

* Re: DMA_ENGINE: can't use it without selecting a dma engine driver
@ 2009-06-17  6:40 ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2009-06-17  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dragos Tatulea; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Dragos Tatulea<dtatulea@ixiacom.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>        Just discovered that it's impossible to select the dma engine without
>        compiling a dma engine driver from the kernel. What if I want to use a
>        different dma engine?

Create a Kconfig entry for your driver in drivers/dma/Kconfig and have
it "select DMA_ENGINE".

* Re: DMA_ENGINE: can't use it without selecting a dma engine driver
@ 2009-06-17 15:12   ` Dragos Tatulea
From: Dragos Tatulea @ 2009-06-17 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams; +Cc: linux-kernel, Octavian Purdila

Hi,

> >        Just discovered that it's impossible to select the dma engine
> > without compiling a dma engine driver from the kernel. What if I want to
> > use a different dma engine?
> >

> Create a Kconfig entry for your driver in drivers/dma/Kconfig and have
> it "select DMA_ENGINE".
That's what I want to avoid. The dma engine driver is out of tree.

What is the rationale behind this? It seems (to me) impossible to have all
such drivers in upstream.

@ 2009-06-17 16:38     ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2009-06-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dragos Tatulea; +Cc: linux-kernel, Octavian Purdila

Dragos Tatulea wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>>        Just discovered that it's impossible to select the dma engine
>>> without compiling a dma engine driver from the kernel. What if I want to
>>> use a different dma engine?
>>>
>> Create a Kconfig entry for your driver in drivers/dma/Kconfig and have
>> it "select DMA_ENGINE".
> That's what I want to avoid. The dma engine driver is out of tree.
>
> What is the rationale behind this? It seems (to me) impossible to have all
> such drivers in upstream.

It is very straightforward to have all drivers upstream, just send the
code [1].

The rationale for this configuration scheme is to turn off a lot of
unnecessary code when we know at build time that a dma driver will never
be loaded.

If you must keep your driver out of tree simply maintain another out of
tree patch that allows DMA_ENGINE to be manually enabled.

Regards,
Dan

[1]: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingDrivers