* [uml-devel] Fedora core 11 and UML kernel compile
@ 2009-06-10 20:13 Vincent Perrier
From: Vincent Perrier @ 2009-06-10 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uml-devel

Hello,
I think I am not the first to have this problem, but just
to remind people of this problem:
Fedora 11 cannot compile uml kernels (2.6.29.4 and 2.6.30),
here is the error:
   . . .
   . . .
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
/usr/bin/ld:arch/um/kernel/vmlinux.lds:1: ignoring invalid character `#'
in expression
/usr/bin/ld:arch/um/kernel/vmlinux.lds:1: syntax error
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
nm: '.tmp_vmlinux1': No such file
No valid symbol.
make: *** [.tmp_kallsyms1.S] Error 1

I have no knowledge at all of kernel compilation, so I have no idea
how to get it compiled.

Note with no link to the above problem:
I have made a virtual network creation software using UML at
http://clownix.net and with it you can mix UML and KVM machines
and on this emulated network UML is MUCH faster as far as
emulated ethernet interfaces are concerned.

On both machines, a socket is used to get into the machine ethernet
emulated interface, and as the KVM emulates real hardware (interrupts
and so-on) the throughput bandwidth is affected.
The strange thing that the "para-virtualization" of KVM ethernet
interfaces only had very little effect and did not bring it much closer
to the UML throughput.
So I say to UML users: have no fear of KVM, UML is still the best
product to have a virtual linux over linux.

Regards

* Re: [uml-devel] Fedora core 11 and UML kernel compile
@ 2009-06-26 12:12 ` Christian Krause
From: Christian Krause @ 2009-06-26 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uml-devel

Hi,

Vincent Perrier wrote:
> Fedora 11 cannot compile uml kernels (2.6.29.4 and 2.6.30),
> here is the error:
>    . . .
>    . . .
>   CC      init/version.o
>   LD      init/built-in.o
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> /usr/bin/ld:arch/um/kernel/vmlinux.lds:1: ignoring invalid character `#'
> in expression
>
> I have no knowledge at all of kernel compilation, so I have no idea
> how to get it compiled.

The root cause of the problem is a change in the behavior of the bash.
Fedora 11 uses bash 4 which does not pass environmental variables
containing "." to sub-processes. Since the kernel's Makefiles rely on
this feature, the mentioned error occurs.

Right now there is a discussion on the bash's mailing list whether this
behavior is correct or not:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2009-06/msg00078.html

So it is unclear right now whether the problem should be fixed in the
bash, in make or in the kernel's Makefiles. Let's see what's the outcome
of the discussion with the bash developers.

Best regards,
Christian