* 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing
@ 2009-07-08 11:21 Graeme Geldenhuys
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Graeme Geldenhuys @ 2009-07-08 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I'm using git-1.6.3.3 under Ubuntu Linux 8.04.2

I'm trying to convert (clone) a SubVersion repository to Git, so I can
host the mirror on GitHub, but for the last 4 days I don't get very far.
It seems to be getting a few files, then freezes and then gives the
error shown below. I'm now stuck around r2665 out of about 14,000
revisions. :-(

I have done such a clone before using a different SVN repository and
pulling in around 13,000 revisions, so my 'git svn' commands should work.

==============================
$ git svn fetch
         A       fixes_2_0/fv/gadgets.pas
         A       fixes_2_0/fv/colortxt.pas
         A       fixes_2_0/fv/outline.pas
RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/fpc/!svn/vcc/default': Could
not read response body: connection was closed by server
(http://svn2.freepascal.org) at /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-svn line
4505
==============================

.git/config file contains the following (showing the SubVersion repository)

======================
...snip...
[svn-remote "svn"]
	url = http://svn2.freepascal.org/svn/fpc
	fetch = trunk:refs/remotes/trunk
	branches = branches/*:refs/remotes/*
	tags = tags/*:refs/remotes/tags/*
...snip...
======================

Any thoughts on why I am getting this error?

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

* Re: 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing
@ 2009-07-08 23:59 ` Eric Wong
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Wong @ 2009-07-08 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graeme Geldenhuys; +Cc: git

Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using git-1.6.3.3 under Ubuntu Linux 8.04.2
>
> I'm trying to convert (clone) a SubVersion repository to Git, so I can
> host the mirror on GitHub, but for the last 4 days I don't get very far.
> It seems to be getting a few files, then freezes and then gives the
> error shown below. I'm now stuck around r2665 out of about 14,000
> revisions. :-(
>
> I have done such a clone before using a different SVN repository and
> pulling in around 13,000 revisions, so my 'git svn' commands should work.
>
> ==============================
> $ git svn fetch
>         A       fixes_2_0/fv/gadgets.pas
>         A       fixes_2_0/fv/colortxt.pas
>         A       fixes_2_0/fv/outline.pas
> RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/fpc/!svn/vcc/default': Could
> not read response body: connection was closed by server
> (http://svn2.freepascal.org) at /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-svn line
> 4505

Does restarting "git svn fetch" work?  Can you checkout exactly that
revision from SVN itself?  It could be an extremely large file that
SVN has trouble serving, but as far as I can tell it's a problem
with the server or your connection and not with git svn.

I'll give it a shot when I'm on a better connection/machine later.

--
Eric Wong

* Re: 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing
@ 2009-07-09  8:51   ` Graeme Geldenhuys
From: Graeme Geldenhuys @ 2009-07-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Eric Wong wrote:

> Does restarting "git svn fetch" work?  Can you checkout exactly that
> revision from SVN itself?  It could be an extremely large file that
> SVN has trouble serving, but as far as I can tell it's a problem
> with the server or your connection and not with git svn.

We have a 4MB ADSL connection to our office. Yes, "git svn fetch" does
continue for a while, then bombs out again. This morning I saw for the
first time in 2 days new revisions being pulled in, so clearly that one
revision was a very large one. But still today, the "git svn fetch"
bombs out at least every 30 minutes, so I have to constantly keep
restarting it.

I have no idea what the remote server's internet connection is like. I
just know pulling in 14,000 revisions by restarting every 30 minutes is
going to take a damn long time. ;-)

[  I have SVN! Git is SO much faster!  ]

@ 2009-07-09  8:52     ` Graeme Geldenhuys
From: Graeme Geldenhuys @ 2009-07-09  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> [  I have SVN! Git is SO much faster!  ]
      ^^^^^^^^^^^
That should have read: I hate SVN!   :-)

@ 2009-07-09  9:34 ` Yann Dirson
From: Yann Dirson @ 2009-07-09  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graeme Geldenhuys; +Cc: git

I ran an "svn clone -s http://svn2.freepascal.org/svn/fpc" yesterday,
and it went through all 13373 revs without a problem.  The freeze you
talk about must have done something weird to the git-svn metadata.

* Re: 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing
@ 2009-07-09 12:01 ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2009-07-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graeme Geldenhuys; +Cc: git

Graeme Geldenhuys venit, vidit, dixit 08.07.2009 13:21:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using git-1.6.3.3 under Ubuntu Linux 8.04.2
>
> I'm trying to convert (clone) a SubVersion repository to Git, so I can
> host the mirror on GitHub, but for the last 4 days I don't get very far.
> It seems to be getting a few files, then freezes and then gives the
> error shown below. I'm now stuck around r2665 out of about 14,000
> revisions. :-(
>
> I have done such a clone before using a different SVN repository and
> pulling in around 13,000 revisions, so my 'git svn' commands should work.
>
> ==============================
> $ git svn fetch
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/gadgets.pas
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/colortxt.pas
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/outline.pas
> RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/fpc/!svn/vcc/default': Could
> not read response body: connection was closed by server
> (http://svn2.freepascal.org) at /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-svn line
> 4505
> ==============================
>
> .git/config file contains the following (showing the SubVersion repository)
>
> ======================
> ...snip...
> [svn-remote "svn"]
> 	url = http://svn2.freepascal.org/svn/fpc
> 	fetch = trunk:refs/remotes/trunk
> 	branches = branches/*:refs/remotes/*
> 	tags = tags/*:refs/remotes/tags/*
> ...snip...
> ======================
>

> Any thoughts on why I am getting this error?

Hmm, I cloned with standard layout and everything looks fine, see below.
Are you seeing the same problems on a fresh clone attempt (from an empty
dir)?

Between 2665 and 2674 I see no revisions, but those two are really small
changes. Can you 'svn log -r2664:2674' that range?

Michael

r13373 = c63340f4ac03767bcf049d88f0cd9a8ae3199090 (trunk)

Checking out files: 100% (10468/10468), done.

Checked out HEAD:

  http://svn2.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk r13373

$ git branch -a
* master
  remotes/aspect
  remotes/avr
  remotes/cleanroom
  remotes/cpstr
  remotes/ctypes
  remotes/fixes_2_0
  remotes/fixes_2_2
  remotes/fixes_2_2_0_dos
  remotes/florian
  remotes/fpc_2_3
  remotes/generics
  remotes/genfunc
  remotes/inline
  remotes/janbruns
  remotes/linker
  remotes/linker@2665
  remotes/llvm
  remotes/merged
  remotes/newthreading
  remotes/objc
  remotes/rc_2_2_2
  remotes/release_2_1_2x
  remotes/release_2_2_4_rc1
  remotes/resources
  remotes/ssa
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_0
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_2
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_4
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_4_macos
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_4_rc1
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_4_rc2
  remotes/tags/release_2_0_4_rc3
  remotes/tags/release_2_1_2
  remotes/tags/release_2_1_4
  remotes/tags/release_2_2_0
  remotes/tags/release_2_2_2
  remotes/tags/release_2_2_2_rc1
  remotes/tags/release_2_2_2_rc2
  remotes/tags/release_2_2_4
  remotes/tags/test_2_0_4
  remotes/tags/test_2_0_4_1
  remotes/trunk
  remotes/tue
  remotes/unicodertl
  remotes/unicodestring
  remotes/unitrw
  remotes/wpo

* Re: 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing
@ 2009-07-09 12:46   ` Graeme Geldenhuys
From: Graeme Geldenhuys @ 2009-07-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Yann Dirson wrote:
> I ran an "svn clone -s http://svn2.freepascal.org/svn/fpc" yesterday,
> and it went through all 13373 revs without a problem.  The freeze you
> talk about must have done something weird to the git-svn metadata.

That is weird. Two of you got it right without issues.... I'm trying
again, using a new repository directory and see what happens. Like you
said, maybe the original one got corrupt or something.

I'm using the following command:

$ git svn clone -s --authors-file=/mnt/samba/git/fpc-users.txt \
      http://svn2.freepascal.org/svn/fpc fpc_new.git

Lets hope it goes through this time. I'll report on my progress later.
If this doesn't work, I'll try it without the --authors-file option.

If it doesn't go well, any chance you still have that FPC repository
lying around? Would it then be possible for you to repack the repository
and archive (zip, bzip, 7zip etc..) the repository so I could download
the whole thing from you? But this is ONLY if my new attempt doesn't work.

I'm hoping all will go well though, otherwise I am totally stumped as to
why I can't clone it myself.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

* Re: 'git svn fetch' keeps giving a error after freezing
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-10  7:07 ` Graeme Geldenhuys
From: Graeme Geldenhuys @ 2009-07-10  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> ==============================
> $ git svn fetch
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/gadgets.pas
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/colortxt.pas
>          A       fixes_2_0/fv/outline.pas
> RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/fpc/!svn/vcc/default': Could
> not read response body: connection was closed by server
> (http://svn2.freepascal.org) at /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-svn line
> 4505
> ==============================

It seems this issue has nothing to do with Git. It's a bug in the TCP
traffic handling in all SVN clients from Collabnet. Here is a recent bug
report about this exact issue.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/ticket/1576

The problem gets triggered on slow connections and large revisions
(commits) or large files.

Our slow connection is probably why I keep getting the issue. Even
though we have a 4MB ADSL connection, we hardly ever reach that speeds.
Plus some more research revealed the shaped ADSL connection goes through
our ISP's transparent proxy, making the connection even more flaky/slow.

Luckily the FPC repository has an alternative port that it listens to as
well (port 8080) which bypasses the transparent proxy. Using the new
port, the 'git svn fetch' is flying!!!!  :-)  At Last!

Thanks to all that tried to help me...