* x86 Geode issues in kernel >= 2.6.23 and >= 2.6.31-rc4
@ 2009-08-03 12:58 Martin-Éric Racine
From: Martin-Éric Racine @ 2009-08-03 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

(non-subscriber post; please keep me in CC)

Greetings,

Having previously reported two issues via Ubuntu's bug tracker and not
found any answer, I thought I'd approach the LKML with the issues at
stake.

1) Since kernel 2.6.23, one cannot boot hardware based on the Geode
SCx200 series. Partial answers about the most plausible cause have
been found by the target hardware's manufacturer as explained at

2) Since kernel 2.6.31-rc4, one cannot boot hardware based on the
Geode LX800 as described at

In case either of these issues was already reported and there is a
know fix or work-around, I'd love to hear more. Otherwise, please feel
free to contact me for additional details.

--
Best Regards,
Martin-Éric

* Re: x86 Geode issues in kernel >= 2.6.23 and >= 2.6.31-rc4
@ 2009-08-03 13:19 ` Arnd Hannemann
From: Arnd Hannemann @ 2009-08-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: q-funk; +Cc: linux-kernel

Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> (non-subscriber post; please keep me in CC)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Having previously reported two issues via Ubuntu's bug tracker and not
> found any answer, I thought I'd approach the LKML with the issues at
> stake.
>
> 1) Since kernel 2.6.23, one cannot boot hardware based on the Geode
> SCx200 series. Partial answers about the most plausible cause have
> been found by the target hardware's manufacturer as explained at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/241307
>
> 2) Since kernel 2.6.31-rc4, one cannot boot hardware based on the
> Geode LX800 as described at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/396286
>
> In case either of these issues was already reported and there is a
> know fix or work-around, I'd love to hear more. Otherwise, please feel
> free to contact me for additional details.

Just to give a data point:
2.6.31-rc1,2,3,4,5 were/are running all fine on my Geode LX800
(http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm) so it seems something
board or .config specific.

Best regards,
Arnd

* Re: x86 Geode issues in kernel >= 2.6.23 and >= 2.6.31-rc4
@ 2009-08-03 13:24   ` Martin-Éric Racine
From: Martin-Éric Racine @ 2009-08-03 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Hannemann; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Arnd
Hannemann<hannemann@nets.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>> (non-subscriber post; please keep me in CC)
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Having previously reported two issues via Ubuntu's bug tracker and not
>> found any answer, I thought I'd approach the LKML with the issues at
>> stake.
>>
>> 1) Since kernel 2.6.23, one cannot boot hardware based on the Geode
>> SCx200 series. Partial answers about the most plausible cause have
>> been found by the target hardware's manufacturer as explained at
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/241307
>>
>> 2) Since kernel 2.6.31-rc4, one cannot boot hardware based on the
>> Geode LX800 as described at
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/396286
>>
>> In case either of these issues was already reported and there is a
>> know fix or work-around, I'd love to hear more. Otherwise, please feel
>> free to contact me for additional details.
>>

> Just to give a data point:
> 2.6.31-rc1,2,3,4,5 were/are running all fine on my Geode LX800
> (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm) so it seems something
> board or .config specific.

Thank you for your answer, Arnd.

Could you please send me a copy of your .config so that I can compare
it with the one used on Ubuntu kernels?

@ 2009-08-03 13:31     ` Arnd Hannemann
From: Arnd Hannemann @ 2009-08-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: q-funk; +Cc: linux-kernel

Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Arnd
> Hannemann<hannemann@nets.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>> Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>>> (non-subscriber post; please keep me in CC)
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Having previously reported two issues via Ubuntu's bug tracker and not
>>> found any answer, I thought I'd approach the LKML with the issues at
>>> stake.
>>>
>>> 1) Since kernel 2.6.23, one cannot boot hardware based on the Geode
>>> SCx200 series. Partial answers about the most plausible cause have
>>> been found by the target hardware's manufacturer as explained at
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/241307
>>>
>>> 2) Since kernel 2.6.31-rc4, one cannot boot hardware based on the
>>> Geode LX800 as described at
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/396286
>>>
>>> In case either of these issues was already reported and there is a
>>> know fix or work-around, I'd love to hear more. Otherwise, please feel
>>> free to contact me for additional details.
>>>
>> Just to give a data point:
>> 2.6.31-rc1,2,3,4,5 were/are running all fine on my Geode LX800
>> (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm) so it seems something
>> board or .config specific.
>
> Thank you for your answer, Arnd.
>
> Could you please send me a copy of your .config so that I can compare
> it with the one used on Ubuntu kernels?

Sure. Config for 2.6.31-rc5 is attached.

Best regards,
Arnd

[-- Attachment #2: geode_lx800_config.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 11812 bytes --]

* Re: x86 Geode issues in kernel >= 2.6.23 and >= 2.6.31-rc4
@ 2009-08-18 18:47         ` Martin-Éric Racine
From: Martin-Éric Racine @ 2009-08-18 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Hannemann; +Cc: linux-kernel, Kernel Testers List

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Arnd
Hannemann<hannemann@nets.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Arnd
>> Hannemann<hannemann@nets.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>>> Just to give a data point:
>>> 2.6.31-rc1,2,3,4,5 were/are running all fine on my Geode LX800
>>> (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm) so it seems something
>>> board or .config specific.
>>
>> Thank you for your answer, Arnd.
>>
>> Could you please send me a copy of your .config so that I can compare
>> it with the one used on Ubuntu kernels?
>
> Sure. Config for 2.6.31-rc5 is attached.

Could you try enabling CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL in your config and building
a new kernel? Does it still boot?

From: Martin-Éric Racine @ 2009-08-18 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Hannemann; +Cc: linux-kernel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Kernel Testers List

@ 2009-08-19  7:49           ` Arnd Hannemann
From: Arnd Hannemann @ 2009-08-19  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: q-funk; +Cc: Arnd Hannemann, linux-kernel, Kernel Testers List

Martin-Éric Racine schrieb:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Arnd
> Hannemann<hannemann@nets.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>> Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

>>> Thank you for your answer, Arnd.
>>>
>>> Could you please send me a copy of your .config so that I can compare
>>> it with the one used on Ubuntu kernels?
>> Sure. Config for 2.6.31-rc5 is attached.
>
> Could you try enabling CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL in your config and building
> a new kernel? Does it still boot?

Yes, still works.
However, I'm booting over PXE/NFS so it may not be used during boot.
I mounted an ext3 loop image when the machine was up, and that works.

Best regards,
Arnd

From: Arnd Hannemann @ 2009-08-19  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: q-funk-X3B1VOXEql0