* [LTP] realtime measurement tests: approach to criteria
@ 2009-08-03 23:30 Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2009-08-03 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LTP; +Cc: Clark Williams, amrith

The current ltp/testcases/realtime tests belong to one of func, perf, or
stress.  While strict pass/fail criteria make sense for functional tests
(did the tasks wake up in priority order?), the others use "arbitrary"
values and compare those against the whatever is being measured (wakeup
latency, etc.) and then determine pass/fail.  Ideally the tests
themselves would not determine the pass/fail criteria, and would instead
simply report on their measurements since the criteria will vary in
every use-case based on requirements, workload, hardware, etc.

I'd like to propose an approach where the tests only report their
measured values (with the exception of the func/* tests which will
maintain their pass/fail criteria).  Users should be able to populate a
criteria.conf file that specified the criteria of each test.  The
results could then be parsed, compared against the results, and a
pass/fail determined from there.  I suspect it would be best for the .c
tests to just report the numbers and the statistics in a common format
and rely on python parser scripts to read the config file and determine
pass/fail from there.

I'd like users thoughts on this approach before we jump in and start
changing things (as this is a fairly invasive change).

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center

* Re: realtime measurement tests: approach to criteria
@ 2009-08-04 12:08   ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-08-04 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart, linux-rt-users; +Cc: LTP, Clark Williams, amrith, Sripathi Kodi

Hi Darren,

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 16:30 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> The current ltp/testcases/realtime tests belong to one of func, perf, or
> stress.  While strict pass/fail criteria make sense for functional tests
> (did the tasks wake up in priority order?), the others use "arbitrary"
> values and compare those against the whatever is being measured (wakeup
> latency, etc.) and then determine pass/fail.  Ideally the tests
> themselves would not determine the pass/fail criteria, and would instead
> simply report on their measurements since the criteria will vary in
> every use-case based on requirements, workload, hardware, etc.
>
> I'd like to propose an approach where the tests only report their
> measured values (with the exception of the func/* tests which will
> maintain their pass/fail criteria).  Users should be able to populate a
> criteria.conf file that specified the criteria of each test.  The
> results could then be parsed, compared against the results, and a
> pass/fail determined from there.  I suspect it would be best for the .c
> tests to just report the numbers and the statistics in a common format
> and rely on python parser scripts to read the config file and determine
> pass/fail from there.
>
> I'd like users thoughts on this approach before we jump in and start
> changing things (as this is a fairly invasive change).

This is indeed a good approach. Should we also ask the RT-USERS, who
might be interested to comment on this ?

Regards--
Subrata

* Re: [LTP] realtime measurement tests: approach to criteria
@ 2009-08-04 12:08   ` Subrata Modak
From: Subrata Modak @ 2009-08-04 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart, linux-rt-users; +Cc: Clark Williams, LTP, amrith

@ 2009-08-04 14:28     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2009-08-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: linux-rt-users, LTP, Clark Williams, amrith, Sripathi Kodi

Subrata Modak wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 16:30 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
>> The current ltp/testcases/realtime tests belong to one of func, perf, or
>> stress.  While strict pass/fail criteria make sense for functional tests
>> (did the tasks wake up in priority order?), the others use "arbitrary"
>> values and compare those against the whatever is being measured (wakeup
>> latency, etc.) and then determine pass/fail.  Ideally the tests
>> themselves would not determine the pass/fail criteria, and would instead
>> simply report on their measurements since the criteria will vary in
>> every use-case based on requirements, workload, hardware, etc.
>>
>> I'd like to propose an approach where the tests only report their
>> measured values (with the exception of the func/* tests which will
>> maintain their pass/fail criteria).  Users should be able to populate a
>> criteria.conf file that specified the criteria of each test.  The
>> results could then be parsed, compared against the results, and a
>> pass/fail determined from there.  I suspect it would be best for the .c
>> tests to just report the numbers and the statistics in a common format
>> and rely on python parser scripts to read the config file and determine
>> pass/fail from there.
>>
>> I'd like users thoughts on this approach before we jump in and start
>> changing things (as this is a fairly invasive change).
>
> This is indeed a good approach. Should we also ask the RT-USERS, who
> might be interested to comment on this ?

Thanks for including the rt-users list, yes I should have done that
originally as well.

From: Darren Hart @ 2009-08-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subrata; +Cc: Clark Williams, LTP, linux-rt-users, amrith