* Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
@ 2009-08-04  7:12 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-08-04  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media
  Cc: davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap, Magnus Damm, Dongsoo,
	Nathaniel Kim, eduardo.valentin

Hi all,

During this years Plumbers Conference I will be organizing a session (or
possibly more than one) on what sort of new V4L2 APIs are needed to
support the new SoC devices. These new APIs should also solve the problem
of how to find all the related alsa/fb/ir/dvb devices that a typical video
device might create.

A proposal was made about a year ago (note that this is a bit outdated
by now, but the basics are still valid):

http://www.archivum.info/video4linux-list%40redhat.com/2008-07/msg00371.html

In the past year the v4l2 core has evolved enough so that we can finally
start thinking about this for real.

I would like to know who will be attending this conference. I also urge
anyone who is working in this area and who wants to have a say in this to
attend the conference. The goal is to prepare a new RFC with a detailed
proposal on the new APIs that are needed to fully support all the new
SoCs. So the more input we get, the better the end-result will be.

Early-bird registration is still possible up to August 5th (that's
tomorrow :-) ).

Regards,

	Hans

* RE: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
@ 2009-08-04 17:13 ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2009-08-04 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil, linux-media
  Cc: eduardo.valentin, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap,
	Magnus Damm, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] Hi Hans,

I will be attending the conference and along with above mentioned RFC I would want to discuss some of the open issues, forthcoming TI devices, their complexity and required software interfaces (media processor (as you mentioned above)) and similar stuff.

I will work with you offline before sharing the details here with the community.

Thanks,
Vaibhav Hiremath

@ 2009-08-04 17:40 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-08-04 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media
  Cc: davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap, Magnus Damm, Dongsoo,

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 09:12:24 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During this years Plumbers Conference I will be organizing a session (or
> possibly more than one) on what sort of new V4L2 APIs are needed to
> support the new SoC devices. These new APIs should also solve the problem
> of how to find all the related alsa/fb/ir/dvb devices that a typical video
> device might create.
>
> A proposal was made about a year ago (note that this is a bit outdated
> by now, but the basics are still valid):
>
> http://www.archivum.info/video4linux-list%40redhat.com/2008-07/msg00371.html
>
> In the past year the v4l2 core has evolved enough so that we can finally
> start thinking about this for real.
>
> I would like to know who will be attending this conference. I also urge
> anyone who is working in this area and who wants to have a say in this to
> attend the conference. The goal is to prepare a new RFC with a detailed
> proposal on the new APIs that are needed to fully support all the new
> SoCs. So the more input we get, the better the end-result will be.
>
> Early-bird registration is still possible up to August 5th (that's
> tomorrow :-) ).

Just a quick follow-up: I am also attending the co-located LinuxCon
(http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon), so I'm in Portland the
whole week. If someone is there only for LinuxCon but still wants to discuss
something with me, then let me know beforehand. Ditto if you prefer to have
some preliminary discussions before the Plumbers Conference starts.

I will also update the RFC referred to above and repost it early September.
That way we have a proper starting point for our discussions.

@ 2009-08-04 20:14     ` Karicheri, Muralidharan
From: Karicheri, Muralidharan @ 2009-08-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav, Hans Verkuil, linux-media
  Cc: Magnus Damm, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap,
	eduardo.valentin, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim

Hans,

I plan to register for this. Following are some of the issues that I face today while porting TI DaVinci video drivers to open source:-

1) VPBE display drivers (DM6446,DM355 & DM365): Current implementation of display drivers uses encoder manager (encoders registers with this framework) and display manager (allocating video and OSD layers, managing the OSD hardware etc.). Both FBDev and V4l2 bridge drivers interfaces with these for display timing information and resource allocation. The encoders are developed using a encoder interface that are protocol independent vs sub devices framework in open source that are v4l2 specific. The protocol independent interface was used to avoid building v4l2 sub system when using FBDev devices (That driver VPBE). Internal driver uses SysFs interface to change output and standard at the active encoder (Same functionality is removed from v4l2 display device). I plan to discuss this with you in detail so that we could start working on the porting. I will also go through your RFC to find out if any thing is applicable related to this work

2) Previewer & Resizer driver. I am working with Vaibhav who had worked on an RFC for this. The previewer and resizer devices are doing memory to memory operations. Also should be flexible to use these hardware with capture driver to do on the fly preview and resize. The TI hardware is parameter intensive. We believe these parameters are to be exported to user space through IOCTLs and would require addition of new IOCTLs and extension of control IDs. We will be working with you on this as well.

3) Setting up timing information in capture and display sub devices (example for HD resolution capture and display) . I think Your media processor RFC discuss this.

Murali Karicheri
Software Design Engineer
Texas Instruments Inc.
Germantown, MD 20874
new phone: 301-407-9583
Old Phone : 301-515-3736 (will be deprecated)
email: m-karicheri2@ti.com

From: Karicheri, Muralidharan @ 2009-08-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav, Hans Verkuil, linux-media
  Cc: Magnus Damm, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap,

@ 2009-08-04 22:15   ` Mike Booth
From: Mike Booth @ 2009-08-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media, eduardo.valentin,
	davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap, Magnus Damm, Dongsoo,
	Nathaniel Kim

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 03:13:29 Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> [...]

does this mean that the definition of "howto" signal to noise and signal
strength might get fixed up?

Mike

* Re: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
  (?)
@ 2009-08-05  2:31     ` Magnus Damm
From: Magnus Damm @ 2009-08-05  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karicheri, Muralidharan
  Cc: Hiremath, Vaibhav, Hans Verkuil, linux-media,
	davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap, eduardo.valentin, Dongsoo,
	Nathaniel Kim

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Karicheri,
Muralidharan<m-karicheri2@ti.com> wrote:
> 2) Previewer & Resizer driver. I am working with Vaibhav who had worked on an RFC for this. The previewer and resizer devices are doing memory to memory operations. Also should be flexible to use these hardware with capture driver to do on the fly preview and resize. The TI hardware is parameter intensive. We believe these parameters are to be exported to user space through IOCTLs and would require addition of new IOCTLs and extension of control IDs. We will be working with you on this as well.

FWIW, for our SuperH Mobile devices we make use of UIO and user space
libraries to support for our on-chip multimedia blocks. These blocks
do scaling, rotation, color space conversion and hardware
encode/decode of various formats including h264 and mpeg4 in HD
resolution.

Apart from UIO we use V4L2 for the camera capture interface driver
sh_mobile_ceu_camera.c. It has support for on the fly color space
conversion and scaling/cropping. The CEU driver is making use of
videobuf-dma-contig.c and the USERPTR changes included in 2.6.31-rc
gives the driver zero copy frame capture support.

All of this is of course available upstream.

Cheers,

/ magnus

* RE: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
@ 2009-08-05  3:06       ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2009-08-05  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Damm, Karicheri, Muralidharan
  Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap,
	eduardo.valentin, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] Thanks Magnus,

I will definitely take reference from this device and driver code. I think now I have one more device which has similar capabilities. Can you please share or point me to the spec/TRM for SuperH Mobile device for my reference?

Currently we are referring to Davinci, OMAP and Samsung S3C6400X devices, the user configurable/exported parameters are very different.

Thanks
Vaibhav

@ 2009-08-05  3:57         ` Magnus Damm
From: Magnus Damm @ 2009-08-05  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav
  Cc: Karicheri, Muralidharan, Hans Verkuil, linux-media,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Hiremath, Vaibhav<hvaibhav@ti.com> wrote:
> [...]

The multimedia software is used on a wide range of devices, so it's
hard to come up with a specific device. Google may give you some
examples.

> Currently we are referring to Davinci, OMAP and Samsung S3C6400X devices, the user configurable/exported parameters are very different.

This is why we do the most of the multimedia pipe line in user space
using UIO . High level frameworks like gstreamer and openmax are
suitable for this kind of stuff IMO.

Cheers,

/ magnus

* Re: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
@ 2009-08-06  8:04   ` Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim @ 2009-08-06  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
  Cc: linux-media, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap, Magnus Damm,
	eduardo.valentin

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Hans Verkuil<hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During this years Plumbers Conference I will be organizing a session (or
> possibly more than one) on what sort of new V4L2 APIs are needed to
> support the new SoC devices. These new APIs should also solve the problem
> of how to find all the related alsa/fb/ir/dvb devices that a typical video
> device might create.
>
> A proposal was made about a year ago (note that this is a bit outdated
> by now, but the basics are still valid):
>
> http://www.archivum.info/video4linux-list%40redhat.com/2008-07/msg00371.html
>
> In the past year the v4l2 core has evolved enough so that we can finally
> start thinking about this for real.
>
> I would like to know who will be attending this conference. I also urge
> anyone who is working in this area and who wants to have a say in this to
> attend the conference. The goal is to prepare a new RFC with a detailed
> proposal on the new APIs that are needed to fully support all the new
> SoCs. So the more input we get, the better the end-result will be.
>
> Early-bird registration is still possible up to August 5th (that's
> tomorrow :-) ).
>
> Regards,
>
>        Hans

I've been hardly trying to attend the conference but I'm afraid not
gonna make it.
But going to try to arrange the characteristics of the H/W I'm working
on in a brief document and also expected new V4P2 APIs. I'll let you
know when I finish my documentation.
I know this is a good chance to discuss about where the video4linux
for SoC platforms to go and I'm desperately looking forward to
participate. but my business trip depends on the approval of my boss.
Thus I'm very disappointed that I can't make it.
Cheers,

Nate

--
=
DongSoo, Nathaniel Kim

From: Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim @ 2009-08-06  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil
  Cc: linux-media, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap, Magnus Damm,

@ 2009-08-06 15:18   ` Aguirre Rodriguez, Sergio Alberto
From: Aguirre Rodriguez, Sergio Alberto @ 2009-08-06 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav, Hans Verkuil, linux-media
  Cc: eduardo.valentin, davinci-linux-open-source, linux-omap,
	Magnus Damm, Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim

Hans, Vaibhav,

I'll be attending this conference too. I just got approval from my boss ;).

I'm starting to take the v4l2_subdev migration task as a high priority now, since most of the stability related issues in some proprietary platform are gone now. :)

Actually, I'm also interested on the discussions about the Preview/Resizer Wrappers.

Meet you there.

Regards,
Sergio

> I will work with you offline before sharing the details here with the
> community.
>
> Thanks,
> Vaibhav Hiremath
>
> > Early-bird registration is still possible up to August 5th (that's
> > tomorrow :-) ).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > 	Hans
> >
> > --

* Re: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-07 22:36 ` VDR User
From: VDR User @ 2009-08-07 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

It has been months now since the discussion about actually making (a
unified) STR/SNR useful.  Is this going to be addressed at the
conference?  It's one of those things that would be greatly useful for
users/applications but seemingly has gotten neglected.

Regards,
Derek

* Re: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
@ 2009-08-08  9:04   ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-08-08  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VDR User; +Cc: linux-media

On Saturday 08 August 2009 00:36:53 VDR User wrote:
> It has been months now since the discussion about actually making (a
> unified) STR/SNR useful.  Is this going to be addressed at the
> conference?  It's one of those things that would be greatly useful for
> users/applications but seemingly has gotten neglected.

I have no plans myself to discuss that during that conference. Someone else
may bring it up of course, but I have insufficient knowledge about it to
contribute much to such a discussion.

Nor do I think that that is something that needs to be discussed there. This
is something that can be discussed perfectly well here.

Basically things like this will not be fixed unless someone is willing to
put in the hours to find a good solution and to implement it (or cajole people
into doing it for you if you're not a programmer).

@ 2009-08-08 12:59   ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-08-08 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VDR User; +Cc: linux-media

On 8/7/09 6:36 PM, VDR User wrote:
> It has been months now since the discussion about actually making (a
> unified) STR/SNR useful.  Is this going to be addressed at the
> conference?  It's one of those things that would be greatly useful for
> users/applications but seemingly has gotten neglected.
>
> Regards,
> Derek

I'm reasonably sure I'll be attending, in which case I'd like to raise this for
discussion and generate a proposal.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: Linux Plumbers Conference 2009: V4L2 API discussions
@ 2009-08-09  9:57     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-08-09  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Toth; +Cc: VDR User, linux-media

On Saturday 08 August 2009 14:59:24 Steven Toth wrote:
> On 8/7/09 6:36 PM, VDR User wrote:
> > It has been months now since the discussion about actually making (a
> > unified) STR/SNR useful.  Is this going to be addressed at the
> > conference?  It's one of those things that would be greatly useful for
> > users/applications but seemingly has gotten neglected.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Derek
>
> I'm reasonably sure I'll be attending, in which case I'd like to raise this for
> discussion and generate a proposal.

Hi Steven,

Great news! Looking forward to seeing you again! I think we're getting a
pretty good turnout this year.

Regards,

	Hans