* Windows guest CPU socket/core recognition
@ 2009-08-18  3:28 Zdenek Kaspar
From: Zdenek Kaspar @ 2009-08-18  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello everyone,

I guess I'm not the first one who hit the problem with Microsoft's
licensing model..

Nowadays the common single or dual quad-core workstation can't be fully
used because it's limited by example: license up to 2 physical
processors. Such VM acts like 4-way or 8-way machine.

Is there any way howto expose CPUs differently for this kind of problem?

TIA, Z.

* Re: Windows guest CPU socket/core recognition
@ 2009-08-18  7:00 ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2009-08-18  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kaspar; +Cc: kvm

On Monday 17 August 2009 22:28:35 Zdenek Kaspar wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I guess I'm not the first one who hit the problem with Microsoft's
> licensing model..
>
> Nowadays the common single or dual quad-core workstation can't be fully
> used because it's limited by example: license up to 2 physical
> processors. Such VM acts like 4-way or 8-way machine.

Nine times out of ten, a single cpu guest is going to be a better option than
a smp/multie core guest. I've seen idle windows guests go from using nearly
200% cpu for -smp 2 to ~5-10% for -smp 1. Unless your guest is actually using
all that cpu all the time, you're going to be wasting a decent amount of
cycles.

> Is there any way howto expose CPUs differently for this kind of problem?

There have been patches (from Andre Pryzwara and maybe others) to support
multi-core vs mult-socket smp.

@ 2009-08-18  7:02 ` Dor Laor
From: Dor Laor @ 2009-08-18  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kaspar; +Cc: kvm

On 08/18/2009 06:28 AM, Zdenek Kaspar wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I guess I'm not the first one who hit the problem with Microsoft's
> licensing model..
>
> Nowadays the common single or dual quad-core workstation can't be fully
> used because it's limited by example: license up to 2 physical
> processors. Such VM acts like 4-way or 8-way machine.
>
> Is there any way howto expose CPUs differently for this kind of problem?

It was discussed on
http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@vger.kernel.org/msg18490.html but not
yet merged.

@ 2009-08-18 15:12   ` Zdenek Kaspar
From: Zdenek Kaspar @ 2009-08-18 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Jackson; +Cc: Dor Laor, kvm

Brian Jackson napsal(a):
> On Monday 17 August 2009 22:28:35 Zdenek Kaspar wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I guess I'm not the first one who hit the problem with Microsoft's
>> licensing model..
>>
>> Nowadays the common single or dual quad-core workstation can't be fully
>> used because it's limited by example: license up to 2 physical
>> processors. Such VM acts like 4-way or 8-way machine.
>

> Nine times out of ten, a single cpu guest is going to be a better option than
> a smp/multie core guest. I've seen idle windows guests go from using nearly
> 200% cpu for -smp 2 to ~5-10% for -smp 1. Unless your guest is actually using
> all that cpu all the time, you're going to be wasting a decent amount of
> cycles.

Yes, without proper use it's waste. My guest is 64bit and represents
node in computing cluster working on assigned jobs (not MPI etc..)

>> Is there any way howto expose CPUs differently for this kind of problem?
>

> There have been patches (from Andre Pryzwara and maybe others) to support
> multi-core vs mult-socket smp.

I will check these patches, thank you (and Dor Laor) for the hint!

* Re: Windows guest CPU socket/core recognition
@ 2009-08-18 15:14   ` Andre Przywara
From: Andre Przywara @ 2009-08-18 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dlaor; +Cc: Zdenek Kaspar, kvm

Dor Laor wrote:
> On 08/18/2009 06:28 AM, Zdenek Kaspar wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I guess I'm not the first one who hit the problem with Microsoft's
>> licensing model..
>>
>> Nowadays the common single or dual quad-core workstation can't be fully
>> used because it's limited by example: license up to 2 physical
>> processors. Such VM acts like 4-way or 8-way machine.
>>
>> Is there any way howto expose CPUs differently for this kind of problem?
>
> It was discussed on
> http://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@vger.kernel.org/msg18490.html but not
> yet merged.

I have a reworked version almost ready. The AMD part is working fine,
but I still have troubles with the Intel part and threads vs. cores (in
the guest).
I hope I can fix this still this week.

Regards,
Andre.