* Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-20  1:06 Kelly Bowa
From: Kelly Bowa @ 2009-08-20  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ingo,

Any ideas if the Atom CPU patch mentioned here
http://groups.google.ca/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/26d61febdf354055/a0b4c902e41b5fbf?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=config_mcore2+atom
has been submitted/considered for mainline inclusion. AFAIK GCC 4.5
*should* contain the architecture specific code.

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-20 10:50 ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2009-08-20 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kelly Bowa, Tobias Doerffel, H. Peter Anvin, Thomas Gleixner

* Kelly Bowa <kelly.bowa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> Any ideas if the Atom CPU patch mentioned here
> http://groups.google.ca/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/26d61febdf354055/a0b4c902e41b5fbf?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=config_mcore2+atom
> has been submitted/considered for mainline inclusion. AFAIK GCC 4.5
> *should* contain the architecture specific code.

Yep, it looked acceptable - Tobias, do you have any
updates / latest version of that patch?

	Ingo

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-20 12:33   ` Tobias Doerffel
From: Tobias Doerffel @ 2009-08-20 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Kelly Bowa, H. Peter Anvin, Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 419 bytes --]

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 12:50:29 schrieb Ingo Molnar:
> Yep, it looked acceptable - Tobias, do you have any
> updates / latest version of that patch?
No - it's still the improved version I posted at the end of May [1]. The
question is what to do with MODULE_PROC_FAMILY (CORE2 or ATOM) and the mtune-
fallback (generic, i686, ...)?

Regards,

Tobias

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/29/374

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-21 18:19     ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2009-08-21 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Doerffel
  Cc: Ingo Molnar, Kelly Bowa, Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Arjan van de Ven

On 08/20/2009 05:33 AM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 12:50:29 schrieb Ingo Molnar:
>> Yep, it looked acceptable - Tobias, do you have any
>> updates / latest version of that patch?
> No - it's still the improved version I posted at the end of May [1]. The
> question is what to do with MODULE_PROC_FAMILY (CORE2 or ATOM) and the mtune-
> fallback (generic, i686, ...)?

Without benchmarks, we're flying blind on that one... although in
general, "generic" is probably best in the sense that it doesn't imply
that anything else has been done to it.

As far as MODULE_PROC_FAMILY it really comes down to if we use movbe or
not, which I don't believe your patch does.  On the other hand, I really
think it's extremely unlikely that anyone will use modules compiled for
a different CPU, so I'm personally fine with changing that string.

That whole mechanism is kind of broken, anyway.

	-hpa

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-21 18:23       ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2009-08-21 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin
  Cc: Tobias Doerffel, Ingo Molnar, Kelly Bowa, Thomas Gleixner,
	Ingo Molnar, Linux Kernel Mailing List

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/20/2009 05:33 AM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 12:50:29 schrieb Ingo Molnar:
>>> Yep, it looked acceptable - Tobias, do you have any
>>> updates / latest version of that patch?
>> No - it's still the improved version I posted at the end of May [1]. The
>> question is what to do with MODULE_PROC_FAMILY (CORE2 or ATOM) and the mtune-
>> fallback (generic, i686, ...)?
>>

> Without benchmarks, we're flying blind on that one... although in
> general, "generic" is probably best in the sense that it doesn't imply
> that anything else has been done to it.
>
> As far as MODULE_PROC_FAMILY it really comes down to if we use movbe or
> not, which I don't believe your patch does.  On the other hand, I really
> think it's extremely unlikely that anyone will use modules compiled for
> a different CPU, so I'm personally fine with changing that string.
>
> That whole mechanism is kind of broken, anyway.

personally, I would prefer it if we did a simple hash of the WHOLE cflags,
and put that into the module version string.
Anything else is just a weak, and useless, substitute for that.

Using different CFLAGS in any shape or form should disqualify the module
as "incompatible".. and a simple hash is sufficient for that.....

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-21 19:38         ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2009-08-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjan van de Ven
  Cc: H. Peter Anvin, Tobias Doerffel, Kelly Bowa, Thomas Gleixner,

* Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> On 08/20/2009 05:33 AM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> No - it's still the improved version I posted at the end of May [1].
>>> The question is what to do with MODULE_PROC_FAMILY (CORE2 or ATOM)
>>> and the mtune-
>>> fallback (generic, i686, ...)?
>>>

>> Without benchmarks, we're flying blind on that one... although in
>> general, "generic" is probably best in the sense that it doesn't imply
>> that anything else has been done to it.
>>
>> As far as MODULE_PROC_FAMILY it really comes down to if we use movbe or
>> not, which I don't believe your patch does.  On the other hand, I really
>> think it's extremely unlikely that anyone will use modules compiled for
>> a different CPU, so I'm personally fine with changing that string.
>>
>> That whole mechanism is kind of broken, anyway.
>>

> personally, I would prefer it if we did a simple hash of the WHOLE
> cflags, and put that into the module version string. Anything else
> is just a weak, and useless, substitute for that.
>
> Using different CFLAGS in any shape or form should disqualify the
> module as "incompatible".. and a simple hash is sufficient for
> that.....

makes sense.

	Ingo

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-21 20:33           ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2009-08-21 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Arjan van de Ven, Tobias Doerffel, Kelly Bowa, Thomas Gleixner,

On 08/21/2009 12:38 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> makes sense.

OK, but I think that's a separate project.  For now, I'll put the patch
as-is into tip:x86/cpu.

	-hpa

* Re: Atom processor inclusion
@ 2009-08-21 20:36             ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2009-08-21 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin
  Cc: Arjan van de Ven, Tobias Doerffel, Kelly Bowa, Thomas Gleixner,

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> On 08/21/2009 12:38 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > makes sense.
> >

> OK, but I think that's a separate project.  For now, I'll put the
> patch as-is into tip:x86/cpu.

I agree with the review feedback given - we can make merge of that
dependent on measurements, etc.

	Ingo