* ARM subarch submissions for next merge window
@ 2009-08-24 13:40 ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2009-08-24 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Alan Cox
  Cc: Russell King, Tony Lindgren, Nicolas Pitre, linux-kernel,
	linux-arm, linux-arm-kernel

Linus,

After some discussions on linux-arm-kernel during the last merge
window, a suggestion from Alan Cox[1], and a willingness to try it
from Russell[2], some ARM subarch maintainers would like to push our
platform-specific code directly to you for the next merge window.

Any changes that affect common ARM code will still be pushed via
Russell, only our platform-specific code will be submitted directly.

Also our platform code is still posted and reviewed on
linux-arm-kernel as well as being included in linux-next. Only the
merge path will change slightly.

Any problems with this?

Kevin
 maintainer: arch/arm/mach-davinci/*
 developer: arch/arm/mach-omap2/*

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-arm-kernel&m=124472557106678&w=2
[2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=124472614607233&w=2

From: Kevin Hilman @ 2009-08-24 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Linus,

After some discussions on linux-arm-kernel during the last merge
window, a suggestion from Alan Cox[1], and a willingness to try it
from Russell[2], some ARM subarch maintainers would like to push our
platform-specific code directly to you for the next merge window.

Any changes that affect common ARM code will still be pushed via
Russell, only our platform-specific code will be submitted directly.

Also our platform code is still posted and reviewed on
linux-arm-kernel as well as being included in linux-next. Only the
merge path will change slightly.

Any problems with this?

Kevin
 maintainer: arch/arm/mach-davinci/*
 developer: arch/arm/mach-omap2/*

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-arm-kernel&m=124472557106678&w=2
[2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=124472614607233&w=2

* Re: ARM subarch submissions for next merge window
@ 2009-08-24 19:52   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2009-08-24 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Hilman
  Cc: Alan Cox, Russell King, Tony Lindgren, Nicolas Pitre,
	linux-kernel, linux-arm, linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Kevin Hilman wrote:

> After some discussions on linux-arm-kernel during the last merge
> window, a suggestion from Alan Cox[1], and a willingness to try it
> from Russell[2], some ARM subarch maintainers would like to push our
> platform-specific code directly to you for the next merge window.
>
> Any changes that affect common ARM code will still be pushed via
> Russell, only our platform-specific code will be submitted directly.
>
> Also our platform code is still posted and reviewed on
> linux-arm-kernel as well as being included in linux-next. Only the
> merge path will change slightly.
>
> Any problems with this?

I don't have any issues with it, as long as the subarch trees are clean
and clear.

Part of that is the normal "git cleanliness" issue in general (ie I don't
want to see ugly back-merges of my random kernel-of-the-day or see that
something was rebased just five minutes ago and clearly had no testing),
but the other part is obviously that if there then ends up being
complaints where people end up stepping on each others toes, I would want
a top-level maintainer to step in.

But I guess that as long as it's clearly just platform-specific files,
that won't be a problem.

		Linus

From: Linus Torvalds @ 2009-08-24 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2009-08-25 19:48     ` Bill Gatliff
From: Bill Gatliff @ 2009-08-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, linux-arm-kernel, Tony Lindgren, linux-kernel,
	linux-arm, Alan Cox, Nicolas Pitre, Russell King

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Kevin Hilman wrote:
>
>> After some discussions on linux-arm-kernel during the last merge
>> window, a suggestion from Alan Cox[1], and a willingness to try it
>> from Russell[2], some ARM subarch maintainers would like to push our
>> platform-specific code directly to you for the next merge window.

How do you define "subarch maintainer"?  If I have a new platform port,
but am heretofore unknown to linux-arm-kernel, do I still send a pull
request to Linus directly?  Or are the subarch maintainers the guys like
Russell, Nico, Tony, etc. and _they_ are the ones that get to send pull
requests directly to the Benevolent Dictator for Life?

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com