* iptables traffic shaping question
@ 2009-09-02 12:41 J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-09-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Dear list,

I like to get a good response ( min wait ) from my ssh and  stable ( max
throughput ) connection from the apache running at a remote server. Is
there any setting  in iptables which allow me to set in my server
accordingly ?

Thanks

* Re: iptables traffic shaping question
@ 2009-09-02 13:07 ` Julien Vehent
From: Julien Vehent @ 2009-09-02 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bakshi; +Cc: netfilter

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 18:11:40 +0530, "J. Bakshi" <joydeep@infoservices.in>
wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I like to get a good response ( min wait ) from my ssh and  stable ( max
> throughput ) connection from the apache running at a remote server. Is
> there any setting  in iptables which allow me to set in my server
> accordingly ?

Hello,

Reference is http://lartc.org/howto/
For a quick reading, I did some work on the topic :
http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php?id=ressources:dossiers:advanced_networking:2_qos_traffic_control_english

> Thanks

'welcome

Julien

* Re: iptables traffic shaping question
@ 2009-09-02 13:08 ` Filip Sneppe
From: Filip Sneppe @ 2009-09-02 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bakshi; +Cc: netfilter

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:41 PM, J. Bakshi<joydeep@infoservices.in> wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I like to get a good response ( min wait ) from my ssh and  stable ( max
> throughput ) connection from the apache running at a remote server. Is
> there any setting  in iptables which allow me to set in my server
> accordingly ?

iptables isn't really the tool for this. look into the "tc" command of the
iproute package.

I used to go to this site:

http://lartc.org/

It's still, up although it looks unmaintained.

Best regards,
Filip

* Re: iptables traffic shaping question
@ 2009-09-02 13:12   ` Julien Vehent
From: Julien Vehent @ 2009-09-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filip Sneppe; +Cc: J. Bakshi, netfilter

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:08:39 +0200, Filip Sneppe <filip.sneppe@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:41 PM, J. Bakshi<joydeep@infoservices.in>
wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>

>> I like to get a good response ( min wait ) from my ssh and  stable (
max
>> throughput ) connection from the apache running at a remote server. Is
>> there any setting  in iptables which allow me to set in my server
>> accordingly ?
>>
> iptables isn't really the tool for this. look into the "tc" command of
the
> iproute package.
>
> I used to go to this site:
>
> http://lartc.org/
>
> It's still, up although it looks unmaintained.

LARTC is unmaintained, but, AFAIK, none of the components regarding
traffic control described there have changed.
Maybe somebody more aware of the recent developments could confirm...

Julien

@ 2009-09-03  4:43     ` J. Bakshi
From: J. Bakshi @ 2009-09-03  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Vehent; +Cc: Filip Sneppe, netfilter

Julien Vehent wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:08:39 +0200, Filip Sneppe <filip.sneppe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:41 PM, J. Bakshi<joydeep@infoservices.in>
>>
> wrote:
>
>>> Dear list,
>>>

>>> I like to get a good response ( min wait ) from my ssh and  stable (
>>>
> max
>
>>> throughput ) connection from the apache running at a remote server. Is
>>> there any setting  in iptables which allow me to set in my server
>>> accordingly ?
>>>

>> iptables isn't really the tool for this. look into the "tc" command of
>>
> the
>
>> iproute package.
>>
>> I used to go to this site:
>>
>> http://lartc.org/
>>
>> It's still, up although it looks unmaintained.
>>

> LARTC is unmaintained, but, AFAIK, none of the components regarding
> traffic control described there have changed.
> Maybe somebody more aware of the recent developments could confirm...
>

> Julien

Hello Julien and Filip,

thanks a lot for pointing out LARTC site. It is a great site.
I got there the solution of my doubt.  It is TOS adjustment.

regards,