* PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-03  6:00 Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-03  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ya'll,

Going on response levels thus far I'm not expecting much :-D but I was
wondering if someone could possibly help me out here.

Is there anything with half-decent driver support that is PCI/e, and has
dual DVB-T + A/V-in?*
As a bonus it would be dual Hybrid and have hardware encode, but I
wouldn't expect either to work at this stage.

I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find
the best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly
appreciated!  :-D

Cheers,
Jed
*Is HVR-2200 the only option?
  I wish there was something with better AV-in but it might end-up being
my final choice.

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-03 17:30 ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-03 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've stopped looking for an alternative card, going to have a crack at
getting my 7162-based device working.
Still, any suggestions in the meantime are most welcome! I've also
decided AV-in isn't that important...
So just a known, nicely working PCI/e + dual DVB-T card, having the
other features is nice but they needn't be working yet.

Wish me luck!   :-D

Jed wrote:
> Hi Ya'll,
>
> Going on response levels thus far I'm not expecting much :-D but I was
> wondering if someone could possibly help me out here.
>
> Is there anything with half-decent driver support that is PCI/e, and
> has dual DVB-T + A/V-in?*
> As a bonus it would be dual Hybrid and have hardware encode, but I
> wouldn't expect either to work at this stage.
>
> I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find
> the best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
> Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly
> appreciated!  :-D
>
> Cheers,
> Jed
> *Is HVR-2200 the only option?
>  I wish there was something with better AV-in but it might end-up
> being my final choice.

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-03 18:26   ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2009-09-03 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Jed<jedi.theone@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ya'll,
>>
>> Going on response levels thus far I'm not expecting much :-D but I was
>> wondering if someone could possibly help me out here.
>>
>> Is there anything with half-decent driver support that is PCI/e, and has
>> dual DVB-T + A/V-in?*
>> As a bonus it would be dual Hybrid and have hardware encode, but I
>> wouldn't expect either to work at this stage.
>>
>> I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find the
>> best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
>> Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly appreciated!
>>  :-D
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jed
>> *Is HVR-2200 the only option?
>>  I wish there was something with better AV-in but it might end-up being my
>> final choice.
>>

> Jed wrote:
> I've stopped looking for an alternative card, going to have a crack at
> getting my 7162-based device working.
> Still, any suggestions in the meantime are most welcome! I've also decided
> AV-in isn't that important...
> So just a known, nicely working PCI/e + dual DVB-T card, having the other
> features is nice but they needn't be working yet.
>
> Wish me luck!   :-D

HVR2200 is in well supported not for digital-only.  It is a dual tuner
board using a PCI-E interface.  It has A/V capabilities that are not
*yet* supported in Linux.  Don't know when A/V will be supported, but
it will probably happen, eventually.

It is a dual hybrid, and it does do hardware encode.  (although not
yet in Linux)  This probably is the device for you.

To follow the development more closely, see the blog on kernellabs.com

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-03 18:27     ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2009-09-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Michael Krufky<mkrufky@kernellabs.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Jed<jedi.theone@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Ya'll,
>>>
>>> Going on response levels thus far I'm not expecting much :-D but I was
>>> wondering if someone could possibly help me out here.
>>>
>>> Is there anything with half-decent driver support that is PCI/e, and has
>>> dual DVB-T + A/V-in?*
>>> As a bonus it would be dual Hybrid and have hardware encode, but I
>>> wouldn't expect either to work at this stage.
>>>
>>> I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find the
>>> best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
>>> Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly appreciated!
>>>  :-D
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jed
>>> *Is HVR-2200 the only option?
>>>  I wish there was something with better AV-in but it might end-up being my
>>> final choice.
>>>

>> Jed wrote:
>> I've stopped looking for an alternative card, going to have a crack at
>> getting my 7162-based device working.
>> Still, any suggestions in the meantime are most welcome! I've also decided
>> AV-in isn't that important...
>> So just a known, nicely working PCI/e + dual DVB-T card, having the other
>> features is nice but they needn't be working yet.
>>
>> Wish me luck!   :-D
>>

> HVR2200 is in well supported now for digital-only.  It is a dual tuner
> board using a PCI-E interface.  It has A/V capabilities that are not
> *yet* supported in Linux.  Don't know when A/V will be supported, but
> it will probably happen, eventually.
>
> It is a dual hybrid, and it does do hardware encode.  (although not
> yet in Linux)  This probably is the device for you.
>
> To follow the development more closely, see the blog on kernellabs.com
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

Yikes -- typo (corrected above)

HVR2200 is in well supported *now* for digital-only

-Mike

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-04  5:18     ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-04  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Hi Ya'll,
>>>
>>> Going on response levels thus far I'm not expecting much :-D but I was
>>> wondering if someone could possibly help me out here.
>>>
>>> Is there anything with half-decent driver support that is PCI/e, and has
>>> dual DVB-T + A/V-in?*
>>> As a bonus it would be dual Hybrid and have hardware encode, but I
>>> wouldn't expect either to work at this stage.
>>>
>>> I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find the
>>> best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
>>> Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly appreciated!
>>>  :-D
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jed
>>> *Is HVR-2200 the only option?
>>>  I wish there was something with better AV-in but it might end-up being my
>>> final choice.
>>>

>> Jed wrote:
>> I've stopped looking for an alternative card, going to have a crack at
>> getting my 7162-based device working.
>> Still, any suggestions in the meantime are most welcome! I've also decided
>> AV-in isn't that important...
>> So just a known, nicely working PCI/e + dual DVB-T card, having the other
>> features is nice but they needn't be working yet.
>>
>> Wish me luck!   :-D
>>

> HVR2200 is in well supported now for digital-only.  It is a dual tuner
> board using a PCI-E interface.  It has A/V capabilities that are not
> *yet* supported in Linux.  Don't know when A/V will be supported, but
> it will probably happen, eventually.
>
> It is a dual hybrid, and it does do hardware encode.  (although not
> yet in Linux)  This probably is the device for you.
>
> To follow the development more closely, see the blog on kernellabs.com
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

Thanks Michael for your efforts to make a suggestion!

I know about this one and so far it looks to be the best candidate
in-terms of overall features + support.
Unless people on this list believe there's something that's
_potentially_ better?

Cheers,
Jed

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-04 11:26 ` Lou Otway
From: Lou Otway @ 2009-09-04 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jed wrote:

> I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find
> the best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
> Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly
> appreciated!  :-D

I've been searching for a PCI-e device with an MPEG-2 hardware encoder
for analogue input for months, there's nothing on the market with linux
support.

There are a few h.264 encoders, mainly aimed at CCTV applications, but
they're no good for me.

Analogue encoding support on the HVR devices seems the only likely
solution but it won't happen any time soon it seems.

If you find anything, please post details!

Thanks,

Lou

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-04 11:43   ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

will do, no longer looking atm, seeing if i can get my existing quattroS
partially working
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Saa7162_devices#DNTV_PCI_Express_cards

Lou Otway wrote:
> Jed wrote:
>>
>> I'm still trawling through mail-lists & wiki's etc, so I may yet find
>> the best solution, but I was hoping some might already know.
>> Any advice or even just a response to chastise me is greatly
>> appreciated!  :-D
>>

> I've been searching for a PCI-e device with an MPEG-2 hardware encoder
> for analogue input for months, there's nothing on the market with
> linux support.
>
> There are a few h.264 encoders, mainly aimed at CCTV applications, but
> they're no good for me.
>
> Analogue encoding support on the HVR devices seems the only likely
> solution but it won't happen any time soon it seems.
>
> If you find anything, please post details!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lou

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-07 18:14       ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Jed wrote:
>>> I've stopped looking for an alternative card, going to have a crack at
>>> getting my 7162-based device working.
>>> Still, any suggestions in the meantime are most welcome! I've also
>>> decided
>>> AV-in isn't that important...
>>> So just a known, nicely working PCI/e + dual DVB-T card, having the
>>> other
>>> features is nice but they needn't be working yet.
>>>
>>> Wish me luck!   :-D
>>>

>> HVR2200 is in well supported now for digital-only.  It is a dual tuner
>> board using a PCI-E interface.  It has A/V capabilities that are not
>> *yet* supported in Linux.  Don't know when A/V will be supported, but
>> it will probably happen, eventually.
>>
>> It is a dual hybrid, and it does do hardware encode.  (although not
>> yet in Linux)  This probably is the device for you.
>>
>> To follow the development more closely, see the blog on kernellabs.com
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike

Hi saa7164 devs, once(if) the software support is in place for A/V-in...
Do you know if it'd be possible to bypass hw encode and dump
uncompressed HD/SD with this card?
Or is it limited hardware-wise to even do this?

Cheers,
Jed

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-08 20:04         ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> HVR2200 is in well supported now for digital-only.  It is a dual tuner
>>> board using a PCI-E interface.  It has A/V capabilities that are not
>>> *yet* supported in Linux.  Don't know when A/V will be supported, but
>>> it will probably happen, eventually.
>>>
>>> It is a dual hybrid, and it does do hardware encode.  (although not
>>> yet in Linux)  This probably is the device for you.
>>>
>>> To follow the development more closely, see the blog on kernellabs.com
>>> I hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mike
>
> Hi saa7164 devs, once(if) the software support is in place for A/V-in...
> Do you know if it'd be possible to bypass hw encode and dump
> uncompressed HD/SD with this card?
> Or is it limited hardware-wise to even do this?
>
> Cheers,
> Jed
Hi, could I possibly get a response to this please?

Cheers,
Jed

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-08 20:07           ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-09-08 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/8/09 4:04 PM, Jed wrote:

>> Hi saa7164 devs, once(if) the software support is in place for A/V-in...
>> Do you know if it'd be possible to bypass hw encode and dump
>> uncompressed HD/SD with this card?
>> Or is it limited hardware-wise to even do this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jed
> Hi, could I possibly get a response to this please?

No idea, I have yet to look into this. All things considered I doubt it's worth
spending time on raw analog when the goal for most people is to have the
mpeg2/4/wmv hardware encoder working.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-08 20:20             ` Jed
       [not found]               ` <4AA741BF.7030407@gmail.com>
From: Jed @ 2009-09-08 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Toth wrote:

>>> Hi saa7164 devs, once(if) the software support is in place for
>>> A/V-in...
>>> Do you know if it'd be possible to bypass hw encode and dump
>>> uncompressed HD/SD with this card?
>>> Or is it limited hardware-wise to even do this?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jed
>> Hi, could I possibly get a response to this please?
>
> No idea, I have yet to look into this. All things considered I doubt
> it's worth spending time on raw analog when the goal for most people
> is to have the mpeg2/4/wmv hardware encoder working.

Huh, but Hauppaguge site says hvr-2200 only does mpeg2 encode?
My rationale was more flexibility by using software encode and free cpu
cycles, I think it would be appealing to quite a few  ;-)

good night/morn

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in?
@ 2009-09-08 23:38               ` Steven Toth
       [not found]               ` <4AA741BF.7030407@gmail.com>
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-09-08 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Huh, but Hauppaguge site says hvr-2200 only does mpeg2 encode?
> My rationale was more flexibility by using software encode and free cpu
> cycles, I think it would be appealing to quite a few ;-)

That's correct, the Windows driver does mpeg2 encode only. All of the other
codecs are available by default.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: PCI/e with dual DVB-T + AV-in (HVR-2200?)
       [not found]                       ` <4AAA76CB.8080802@gmail.com>
@ 2009-09-11 16:26                         ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-09-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

On 9/11/09 12:11 PM, Jed wrote:

>> Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the HVR-2200,
>>
>> I know this is long waaaay down the priority list of features to be
>> added, if ever!
>> But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
>> for the following:
>>
>> 1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in
>> 2) Component input for the A/V-in
>> 3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in
>> 4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site seems to suggest
>> otherwise but it may be a typo)
>> 5) If not then questions 1) & 3) also apply to RF-in!
>>
>> I've attached the reference cards spec. sheets again for your perusal.
>> I would be proactive in providing as much feed-back as needed for the
>> dev. of such features.
>>
>> Most Sincerely,
>> Jed
> For some inexplicable reason my last two posts have not appeared on the
> ML, it seems I've been scrubbed!
> Hence I'm forwarding straight to you to answer or forward to colleagues
> to answer when possible.

Oh, I saw your posting to the list. It's in my inbox, along with many other
emails I'd like to respond to over the next few weeks. Nothing personal, I'm
just too busy right now to deal with your ongoing daily list of questions.

Please post all your questions to the ML and people will respond when they can,
if they can.

--

       [not found]                       ` <4AAA7923.9000306@gmail.com>
@ 2009-09-11 16:30                         ` Michael Krufky
From: Michael Krufky @ 2009-09-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jed; +Cc: linux-media, Steven Toth

Jed's email isn't hitting the mailing list -- lets see if I can send it.