* Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-15  8:55 Jed
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jed @ 2009-09-15  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

**a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**

Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the HVR-2200...

I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be added, if ever!
But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise' for the following:

1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in
2) Component input for the A/V-in
3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in
4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests otherwise but it may be a typo)
5) If not then questions 1) & 3) also apply to RF-in!

Here are the reference cards spec sheets again:
http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094357_75016126_P1/
http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094364_75016126_P2/
http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094375_75016207_P1/
http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094373_75016207_P2/

I would be proactive in providing feed-back (as needed) for the dev. of such features.

Most Sincerely,
Jed

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-16 17:23 ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-16 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jed wrote:
> **a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**
>
> Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the
> HVR-2200...
>
> I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be
> added, if ever!
> But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
> for the following:
>
> 1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in
> 2) Component input for the A/V-in
> 3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in
> 4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests
> otherwise but it may be a typo)
> 5) If not then questions 1) & 3) also apply to RF-in!
>
> Here are the reference cards spec sheets again:
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094357_75016126_P1/
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094364_75016126_P2/
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094375_75016207_P1/
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094373_75016207_P2/
>
> I would be proactive in providing feed-back (as needed) for the dev.
> of such features.
>
> Most Sincerely,
> Jed

Just a test feel free to ignore........

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-18 16:24 ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> **a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**
>
> Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the
> HVR-2200...
>
> I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be
> added, if ever!
> But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
> for the following:
>
> 1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in
> 2) Component input for the A/V-in
> 3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in
> 4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests
> otherwise but it may be a typo)
> 5) If not then questions 1) & 3) also apply to RF-in!
>
> Here are the reference cards spec sheets again:
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094357_75016126_P1/
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094364_75016126_P2/
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094375_75016207_P1/
> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094373_75016207_P2/
>
> I would be proactive in providing feed-back (as needed) for the dev.
> of such features.
>
> Most Sincerely,
> Jed

[Follow-up post] *Delivery issues resolved, although there's still
delays of 7hrs or more being investigated with postmasters*

Attention Kernellabs devs,
I've deliberately delayed these two posts as Steve mentioned he wouldn't
have time to respond for at least 1wk.

It's now been almost two weeks, do you think you might have 5-minutes to
spare now?
I realise you might not "know" the answer to some of my questions
yet!...  :-D

All the best,

From: Jed @ 2009-09-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-09-18 16:27   ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-18 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> **a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**
>>
>> Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the
>> HVR-2200...
>>
>> I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be
>> added, if ever!
>> But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
>> for the following:
>>
>> 1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in
>> 2) Component input for the A/V-in
>> 3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in
>> 4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests
>> otherwise but it may be a typo)
>> 5) If not then questions 1) & 3) also apply to RF-in!
>>
>> Here are the reference cards spec sheets again:
>> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094357_75016126_P1/
>> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094364_75016126_P2/
>> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094375_75016207_P1/
>> http://www.picamatic.com/view/5094373_75016207_P2/
>>
>> I would be proactive in providing feed-back (as needed) for the dev.
>> of such features.
>>
>> Most Sincerely,
>> Jed
>>

> [Follow-up post] *Delivery issues resolved, although there's still
> delays of 7hrs or more being investigated with postmasters*
>
> Attention Kernellabs devs,
> I've deliberately delayed these two posts as Steve mentioned he wouldn't
> have time to respond for at least 1wk.
>
> It's now been almost two weeks, do you think you might have 5-minutes to
> spare now?
> I realise you might not "know" the answer to some of my questions
> yet!...  :-)
>
> All the best,
> Jed

woops sorry, double post, well that was certainly very quick!
No more issues with delays apparent...

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-18 16:45   ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-09-18 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/18/09 12:24 PM, Jed wrote:

>> **a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**
>>
>> Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the
>> HVR-2200...

Hello.

>> I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be
>> added, if ever!
>> But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
>> for the following:
>>
>> 1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in

Yes, this exists in hardware on the SAA7164 and therefore the HVR2200 and HVR2250.

>> 2) Component input for the A/V-in

Yes, this exists on the HVR2250 product only.

>> 3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in

No idea. Regardless of whether it does or does not I wouldn't plan to add basic
raw TV support to the driver, without going through the encoder.

>> 4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests
>> otherwise but it may be a typo)

Yes.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-18 17:21     ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> **a repost because of earlier issues in getting emails to the list**
>>>
>>> Hi Kernellabs or anyone involved with driver development of the
>>> HVR-2200...
>
> Hello.

You're starting to see me as a nemesis now aren't you?
I'm really a nice person, I promise! :-D

>>> I know this is a loooong way down the priority list of features to be
>>> added, if ever!
>>> But I'm wanting to know if the *possibility* is there 'hardware-wise'
>>> for the following:
>>>
>>> 1) h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid hardware encode of A/V-in
>
> Yes, this exists in hardware on the SAA7164 and therefore the HVR2200
> and HVR2250.

Thank-you.

>>> 2) Component input for the A/V-in
>
> Yes, this exists on the HVR2250 product only.

Ah shite, are you sure?
If you look at the specs for the reference card it was there, did they
take it out at the last minute?

>>> 3) Hw encode bypass for A/V-in
>
> No idea. Regardless of whether it does or does not I wouldn't plan to
> add basic raw TV support to the driver, without going through the encoder.

Why do you rule it out unequivocally, is it just because I've annoyed
you? :-(

The only reason I suggest this is because it'd be nice to have the
option to offload encoding to some other device or to 'soft-encode'.

Of course demand for such functionality would prolly be the lowest, so
it's understandable if it's the last thing implemented, if at all.

>>> 4) Is Hw encode purely for A/V-in? (hauppauge's site suggests
>>> otherwise but it may be a typo)
>
> Yes.

Thank-you.

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-18 17:52       ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-09-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Yes, this exists on the HVR2250 product only.
>
> Ah shite, are you sure?
> If you look at the specs for the reference card it was there, did they
> take it out at the last minute?

It's not feature Hauppauge supports on the HVR2200 today. I have a suspicion
this may change but I'm neither confirming, denying or announcing anything. It
would make sense to officially support component cables on the HVR2200 since the
silicon supports it. If/when it does I'm sure it will be mentioned in the forums
or on the HVR2200 product packaging.

>> No idea. Regardless of whether it does or does not I wouldn't plan to
>> add basic raw TV support to the driver, without going through the
>> encoder.
>
> Why do you rule it out unequivocally, is it just because I've annoyed
> you? :-(

Raw analog TV isn't a high priority feature on my mental check-list. Analog TV
via the encoder is much more interesting and applicable to many people.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-18 18:13         ` Jed
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Jed @ 2009-09-18 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Yes, this exists on the HVR2250 product only.
>>
>> Ah shite, are you sure?
>> If you look at the specs for the reference card it was there, did they
>> take it out at the last minute?
>
> It's not feature Hauppauge supports on the HVR2200 today. I have a
> suspicion this may change but I'm neither confirming, denying or
> announcing anything. It would make sense to officially support component
> cables on the HVR2200 since the silicon supports it. If/when it does I'm
> sure it will be mentioned in the forums or on the HVR2200 product
> packaging.

So I garner from that, that you don't intend to add support for anything
(including extra encoding abilities that they don't support in Windows)
unless Hauppauge officially does?

>>> No idea. Regardless of whether it does or does not I wouldn't plan to
>>> add basic raw TV support to the driver, without going through the
>>> encoder.
>>
>> Why do you rule it out unequivocally, is it just because I've annoyed
>> you? :-(
>
> Raw analog TV isn't a high priority feature on my mental check-list.
> Analog TV via the encoder is much more interesting and applicable to
> many people.

Fair-enough, thanks.

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-18 18:26           ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2009-09-18 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/18/09 2:13 PM, Jed wrote:

>>> Ah shite, are you sure?
>>> If you look at the specs for the reference card it was there, did they
>>> take it out at the last minute?
>>
>> It's not feature Hauppauge supports on the HVR2200 today. I have a
>> suspicion this may change but I'm neither confirming, denying or
>> announcing anything. It would make sense to officially support
>> component cables on the HVR2200 since the silicon supports it. If/when
>> it does I'm sure it will be mentioned in the forums or on the HVR2200
>> product packaging.
>
> So I garner from that, that you don't intend to add support for anything
> (including extra encoding abilities that they don't support in Windows)
> unless Hauppauge officially does?

No, I was referring specifically to your component 'are you sure?' question.

I've said many times on and off this mailing list that I'd like to add support
for all of the encoder a/v codecs, regardless of the windows driver and it's
capabilities. Timeframe for this is unknown.

--
Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2009-09-19  5:37             ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2009-09-19  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> It's not feature Hauppauge supports on the HVR2200 today. I have a
>>> suspicion this may change but I'm neither confirming, denying or
>>> announcing anything. It would make sense to officially support
>>> component cables on the HVR2200 since the silicon supports it. If/when
>>> it does I'm sure it will be mentioned in the forums or on the HVR2200
>>> product packaging.
>>
>> So I garner from that, that you don't intend to add support for anything
>> (including extra encoding abilities that they don't support in Windows)
>> unless Hauppauge officially does?
>
> No, I was referring specifically to your component 'are you sure?'
> question.
>
> I've said many times on and off this mailing list that I'd like to add
> support for all of the encoder a/v codecs, regardless of the windows
> driver and it's capabilities. Timeframe for this is unknown.

Okay thanks Steven for taking some time to address these Qns, I'm done.

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2010-03-09 17:16           ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2010-03-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

19/09/09 Jed wrote:

>>> Ah shite, are you sure?
>>> If you look at the specs for the reference card it was there, did they
>>> take it out at the last minute?
>>
>> It's not feature Hauppauge supports on the HVR2200 today. I have a
>> suspicion this may change but I'm neither confirming, denying or
>> announcing anything. It would make sense to officially support
>> component cables on the HVR2200 since the silicon supports it. If/when
>> it does I'm sure it will be mentioned in the forums or on the HVR2200
>> product packaging.

Hi Steve, when you said this is not a feature Hauppauge supports.
Did you mean it's not fully enabled physically in the PCB...
Or is it just something they need to add support for in the driver?
If the latter do you know if their policy has changed or is about to?

>>> Why do you rule it out unequivocally, is it just because I've annoyed
>>> you? :-(
>>
>> Raw analog TV isn't a high priority feature on my mental check-list.
>> Analog TV via the encoder is much more interesting and applicable to
>> many people.

Assuming that progress has been made on analogue to
h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid via the A/V-in encoder.
Is this still considered a low priority?

Has progress been made on hw encode via A/V-in?
I'm "finally" putting my entire system together soon, can't wait!
Looking forward to seeing how everything has progressed.
I'll be sure to do some donations once I'm up & running!

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2010-03-10  4:22           ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2010-03-10  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-11 15:38             ` Steven Toth
From: Steven Toth @ 2010-03-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/9/10 12:16 PM, Jed wrote:

>>> It's not feature Hauppauge supports on the HVR2200 today. I have a
>>> suspicion this may change but I'm neither confirming, denying or
>>> announcing anything. It would make sense to officially support
>>> component cables on the HVR2200 since the silicon supports it.
>>> If/when it does I'm sure it will be mentioned in the forums or on the
>>> HVR2200 product packaging.
>
> Hi Steve, when you said this is not a feature Hauppauge supports.
> Did you mean it's not fully enabled physically in the PCB...
> Or is it just something they need to add support for in the driver?
> If the latter do you know if their policy has changed or is about to?

No idea, I have no answer.

>>> Raw analog TV isn't a high priority feature on my mental check-list.
>>> Analog TV via the encoder is much more interesting and applicable to
>>> many people.
>
> Assuming that progress has been made on analogue to
> h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid via the A/V-in encoder.
> Is this still considered a low priority?

Raw analog is still very low down any list I have for the HVR22xx driver.

> Has progress been made on hw encode via A/V-in?
> I'm "finally" putting my entire system together soon, can't wait!
> Looking forward to seeing how everything has progressed.
> I'll be sure to do some donations once I'm up & running!

The current driver supports DTV only. I have no ETA for analog on the HVR22xx
driver. If you need analog support then the HVR22xx isn't the right product for you.

Steven Toth - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com
+1.646.355.8490

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2010-03-11 16:46               ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2010-03-11 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

*woops*
Just saw your status update from 24/01, sigh, doesn't sound good :(
http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1339

>> Hi Steve, when you said this is not a feature Hauppauge supports.
>> Did you mean it's not fully enabled physically in the PCB...
>> Or is it just something they need to add support for in the driver?
>> If the latter do you know if their policy has changed or is about to?
>
> No idea, I have no answer.

Considering that in the specs for the reference card it was highlighted
as part of the silicon... Wouldn't it be safe to assume that it's
something that'd be unlocked by drivers?

But if that were true, what is their motivation in not wanting to enable
it? (assuming they still haven't)

>> Assuming that progress has been made on analogue to
>> h.263/mpeg4/VC-1/DivX/Xvid via the A/V-in encoder.
>> Is this still considered a low priority?
>
> Raw analog is still very low down any list I have for the HVR22xx driver.
>

>> Has progress been made on hw encode via A/V-in?
>> I'm "finally" putting my entire system together soon, can't wait!
>> Looking forward to seeing how everything has progressed.
>> I'll be sure to do some donations once I'm up & running!
>
> The current driver supports DTV only. I have no ETA for analog on the
> HVR22xx driver. If you need analog support then the HVR22xx isn't the
> right product for you.
>
> Regards,

I don't need analogue for tuning purposes but for A/V-in it'd be mighty
handy.
If you've got anything that's very rough I'm happy to be your lab-rat?

Do you know of any dual hybrid DVB-T tuner cards that do have
functioning A/V-in, or should I forget such devices for that purpose?

Thank-you.

* Re: Hw capabilities of the HVR-2200
@ 2010-03-12 17:26               ` Jed
From: Jed @ 2010-03-12 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-12 17:39                 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2010-03-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Jed <jedi.theone@gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering that in the specs for the reference card it was highlighted
> as part of the silicon... Wouldn't it be safe to assume that it's
> something that'd be unlocked by drivers?
>
> But if that were true, what is their motivation in not wanting to enable
> it? (assuming they still haven't)

The features of a given piece of silicon do not always match what a
company has ultimately licensed.  This is especially true for things
like codec support which can have significant royalties that have to
be paid.  Hence it's possible that while the chip *in theory* could
support some particular codec, that doesn't mean that the firmware
that ultimately got licensed has the necessary support.

Regarding component support, it's entirely possible that although the
chip supports it, it may have been cost prohibitive to put the
supporting hardware on the PCB.  It's ultimately up to the product
vendor to decide what subset of the functionality on the reference
design to ship with.

Of course, everything I said in the above is complete speculation
(based on my own previous experience working for a company that makes
hardware), as I have no actual knowledge of why they chose to take the
approach they did.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs