* Please revert commit "There is only one resolv.conf."
@ 2009-09-17 15:24 Seewer Philippe
       [not found] ` <4AB254A3.5000302-omB+W0Dpw2o@public.gmane.org>
From: Seewer Philippe @ 2009-09-17 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: <initramfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org>

Having only one resolv.conf is ok for a booted client. That is the
normal and the usual behaviour is that the first interface to be up and
ready with data is the one to write the contents.

But inside dracut we really do not want that behaviour. First the
primary interface (see bootdev cmdline argument) might not be the first
interface to come up, second if we are in guess-the-interface mode,
multiple interface might receive different data for resolv.conf and we
have to use the correct stuff to mount.

So please revert that commit.

Thank you,
Philippe

* Re: Please revert commit "There is only one resolv.conf."
       [not found] ` <4AB254A3.5000302-omB+W0Dpw2o@public.gmane.org>
@ 2009-09-18  3:38   ` Warren Togami
       [not found]     ` <4AB300B8.4090307-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Warren Togami @ 2009-09-18  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seewer Philippe, initramfs

On 09/17/2009 11:24 AM, Seewer Philippe wrote:
> Having only one resolv.conf is ok for a booted client. That is the
> normal and the usual behaviour is that the first interface to be up and
> ready with data is the one to write the contents.
>
> But inside dracut we really do not want that behaviour. First the
> primary interface (see bootdev cmdline argument) might not be the first
> interface to come up, second if we are in guess-the-interface mode,
> multiple interface might receive different data for resolv.conf and we
> have to use the correct stuff to mount.
>
> So please revert that commit.

Do you agree the one copied ultimately should be the interface that
successfully netbooted?

Warren

@ 2009-09-18  6:43       ` Seewer Philippe
       [not found]         ` <4AB32C08.2000406-omB+W0Dpw2o@public.gmane.org>
From: Seewer Philippe @ 2009-09-18  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Togami; +Cc: initramfs

Warren Togami wrote:
> On 09/17/2009 11:24 AM, Seewer Philippe wrote:
>> Having only one resolv.conf is ok for a booted client. That is the
>> normal and the usual behaviour is that the first interface to be up and
>> ready with data is the one to write the contents.
>>
>> But inside dracut we really do not want that behaviour. First the
>> primary interface (see bootdev cmdline argument) might not be the first
>> interface to come up, second if we are in guess-the-interface mode,
>> multiple interface might receive different data for resolv.conf and we
>> have to use the correct stuff to mount.
>>
>> So please revert that commit.
>
> Do you agree the one copied ultimately should be the interface that
> successfully netbooted?

Well if you mean by that the one ultimately copied to the booted system
that is correct. Just use the one /etc/resolv.conf after a successful mount.

Regards,
Philippe

@ 2009-10-07 21:21           ` Warren Togami
From: Warren Togami @ 2009-10-07 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seewer Philippe, initramfs

On 09/18/2009 02:43 AM, Seewer Philippe wrote:

> Warren Togami wrote:
>> On 09/17/2009 11:24 AM, Seewer Philippe wrote:
>>> Having only one resolv.conf is ok for a booted client. That is the
>>> normal and the usual behaviour is that the first interface to be up and
>>> ready with data is the one to write the contents.
>>>
>>> But inside dracut we really do not want that behaviour. First the
>>> primary interface (see bootdev cmdline argument) might not be the first
>>> interface to come up, second if we are in guess-the-interface mode,
>>> multiple interface might receive different data for resolv.conf and we
>>> have to use the correct stuff to mount.
>>>
>>> So please revert that commit.
>>
>> Do you agree the one copied ultimately should be the interface that
>> successfully netbooted?
>
> Well if you mean by that the one ultimately copied to the booted system
> that is correct. Just use the one /etc/resolv.conf after a successful
> mount.

modules.d/40network/netroot:
[ -e /tmp/net.$netif.gw ]          && . /tmp/net.$netif.gw
[ -e /tmp/net.$netif.hostname ]    && . /tmp/net.$netif.hostname
[ -e /tmp/resolv.conf ] && cp -f /tmp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Previous to this change:
[ -e /tmp/net.$netif.gw ]          && . /tmp/net.$netif.gw
[ -e /tmp/net.$netif.hostname ]    && . /tmp/net.$netif.hostname
[ -e /tmp/net.$netif.resolv.conf ] && cp -f /tmp/net.$netif.resolv.conf
/etc/resolv.conf

Even the previous version appears to not guarantee that /etc/resolv.conf
is the interface that successfully mounted the rootfs because this
happens before the mount handler in the netroot script.

Could you please suggest a patch?  Simply reverting it doesn't seem to
improve things.

Warren Togami
wtogami-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org