* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-04 21:57 Wolfgang Denk
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-04 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello everybody,

ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
this area is literally exploding.  This is partially due to the fact
that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
are!).

It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
like Jean-Christophe.

I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
few more custodians.

Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
differentiate by silicon vendors.

After much thinking I therefor suggest to implement the following
change for the ARM architecture:

master ARM repository:		Tom Rix

Atmel (AT91):			Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

Freescale (i.MX)		Magnus Lilja?
				Or are there any volunteers at Freescale?

Marvell (PXA + IXP):		Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

Marvell (all other):		Prafulla Wadaskar

Samsung (s3c, s5pc):		Are there any volunteers at Samsung?

Texas Instruments (OMAP):	Dirk Behme?
				Or are there any volunteers at TI?

???				???

Please let me know what you think about this idea, and if you agree
with the suggested persons - resp. if you are one of these, if you
would be willing to take such responsibility (be warned: it's a lot
of work), and/or if you have other and/or additional ideas.

We are not exactly in a hurry, but I think we should try and get this
change implemented before the end of this merge window, so the
stabilization period can already be handled by more people, thus
hopefully with less stress on any of the (new) custodians.

Thanks to all who helped so far, thanks to all who patiently suffered
from delays and other friction, and thanks in advance to everybody who
steps up to help.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The management question ... is not _whether_ to build a pilot  system
and  throw  it away. You _will_ do that. The only question is whether
to plan in advance to build a throwaway, or to promise to deliver the
throwaway to customers.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-04 23:17 ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2009-09-04 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 23:57 Fri 04 Sep     , Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
> number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
> this area is literally exploding.  This is partially due to the fact
> that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
> processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
> and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
> vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
> U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
> are!).
>
> It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
> massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
> like Jean-Christophe.
>
> I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
> i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
> few more custodians.
>
> Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
> defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
> differentiate by silicon vendors.
>
> After much thinking I therefor suggest to implement the following
> change for the ARM architecture:

I think this will be better

master ARM repository :		Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

Freescale (i.MX)		Magnus Lilja?
				Or are there any volunteers at Freescale?

Marvell				Prafulla Wadaskar

Samsung (s3c, s5pc):		Are there any volunteers at Samsung?

Texas Instruments (OMAP):	Tom Rix

Best Regards,
J.

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-05  7:39 ` Dirk Behme
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dirk Behme @ 2009-09-05  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Texas Instruments (OMAP):	Dirk Behme?
> 				Or are there any volunteers at TI?

I really like to see someone from TI here, instead.

Looking at some past discussions, I think somebody from TI would be
the best. E.g.:

- While discussing the board/vendor directory change, we were unsure
who might be the vendor of which board. Somebody from TI would know best.

- While discussing the OMAP3 cache move, we were unsure what's about
the ROM code calling and where/when this is necessary. Someone from TI
would know best, too.

- etc, etc.

Best regards

Dirk

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-06 12:41   ` Paulraj, Sandeep
From: Paulraj, Sandeep @ 2009-09-06 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang, Dirk,

I can take responsibility for TI DaVinci SOCs.

Thanks,
Sandeep

@ 2009-09-06 13:54     ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-09-06 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Paulraj, Sandeep wrote:
> Wolfgang, Dirk,
>
> I can take responsibility for TI DaVinci SOCs.

This means an omap/davinci split ?
u-boot-arm-omap
u-boot-arm-davinci

This is ok with me
Tom

@ 2009-09-06 14:45       ` Paulraj, Sandeep
From: Paulraj, Sandeep @ 2009-09-06 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Tom,

This is also what we have been discussing internally within TI to have an omap/davinci split.

BTW there are SOC's which have an OMAP part number but are actually very similar to DaVinci's.

Since i am quite familiar with the RBLs of all these devices and i have all the EVMs for the various
SOC's with me i could help in maintaining the repository.

Lets hope this split is OK with the others as well.

Thanks,
Sandeep

@ 2009-09-06 15:38         ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-09-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

And of course the omap / davinci repos should be sync-ed up regularly so
they do not drift too much.

Tom

@ 2009-09-06 21:12         ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-06 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Sandeep,

In message <0554BEF07D437848AF01B9C9B5F0BC5D91E07BDB@dlee01.ent.ti.com> you wrote:

> This is also what we have been discussing internally within TI to have an omap/davinci split.

I'm not happy about the idea. If there really is need (or reason) to
split these, I would prefer to do this in a seciond step, after the
general ARM split has been completed and a stable work flow been
established.

> BTW there are SOC's which have an OMAP part number but are actually very similar to DaVinci's.
>
> Since i am quite familiar with the RBLs of all these devices and i have all the EVMs for the various
> SOC's with me i could help in maintaining the repository.
>
> Lets hope this split is OK with the others as well.

Maybe we can at least postpone it?

Would you also take responsibility as custodian for all TI, i. e. OMAP
+ DaVinci, at least for the time being?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Most people would like to be delivered  from  temptation  but  would
like it to keep in touch."                             - Robert Orben

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-06 21:25       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-06 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Tom,

In message <4AA3BF2F.3080703@windriver.com> you wrote:

> This means an omap/davinci split ?
> u-boot-arm-omap
> u-boot-arm-davinci
>
> This is ok with me

I would like to avoid this, at least for now. Let's do a first step
now (split into vendor based sub-repos), and stabilize that. Then we
can decide if we hant to or have to implement further splits. Now it
is too early to make such a decision.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many seconds are there in a year? If I tell you there are 3.155 x
10^7, you won't even try to remember it. On the other hand, who could
forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is  a  nanocentury.
                                               -- Tom Duff, Bell Labs

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-07  1:06 ` Kyungmin Park
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kyungmin Park @ 2009-09-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Wolfgang Denk<wd@denx.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
> number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
> this area is literally exploding. ?This is partially due to the fact
> that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
> processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
> and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
> vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
> U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
> are!).
>
> It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
> massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
> like Jean-Christophe.
>
> I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
> i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
> few more custodians.
>
> Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
> defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
> differentiate by silicon vendors.
>
> After much thinking I therefor suggest to implement the following
> change for the ARM architecture:
>

> master ARM repository: ? ? ? ? ?Tom Rix
>
> Atmel (AT91): ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>
> Freescale (i.MX) ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Magnus Lilja?
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Or are there any volunteers at Freescale?
>
> Marvell (PXA + IXP): ? ? ? ? ? ?Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>
> Marvell (all other): ? ? ? ? ? ?Prafulla Wadaskar
>
> Samsung (s3c, s5pc): ? ? ? ? ? ?Are there any volunteers at Samsung?

I recommended the Minky Kang. He's working for several years for
u-boot from pxa, omap3, s3c6410 and s5pc1xx series.

But with our internal security policy it's hard to use ssh on u-boot
git. so we want to use u-boot-arm as base.

Thank you,
Kyungmin Park

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-07  3:02   ` Prafulla Wadaskar
From: Prafulla Wadaskar @ 2009-09-07  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Wolfgang/Jean
Thanks for this responsibility.
I acknowledge to accept this opportunity.
I suggest to create u-boot-mrvl.git to manage all other Marvell support including current Kirkwood.

Thanks and regards..
Prafulla . .

@ 2009-09-07  6:31   ` Prafulla Wadaskar
From: Prafulla Wadaskar @ 2009-09-07  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

This makes more sense for u-boot-mrvl.git (proposed) to go entire Marvell specific patches through it
Regards..
Prafulla . .

> Samsung (s3c, s5pc):		Are there any volunteers at Samsung?
>
> Texas Instruments (OMAP):	Tom Rix
>
> Best Regards,
> J.

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-09-07  9:06 ` Magnus Lilja
From: Magnus Lilja @ 2009-09-07  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Wolfgang,

2009/9/4 Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>:
> Hello everybody,
>
> After much thinking I therefor suggest to implement the following
> change for the ARM architecture:
>

> master ARM repository: ? ? ? ? ?Tom Rix
>
> Atmel (AT91): ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>
> Freescale (i.MX) ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Magnus Lilja?
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Or are there any volunteers at Freescale?

I don't have the time to handle this in a good way. It would be good
if someone at Freescale could step in.

Regards, Magnus

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-07 10:22   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Magnus,

In message <59b21cf20909070206t189fe96bpac3cce2770b6b752@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Freescale (i.MX)               Magnus Lilja?
> >                                Or are there any volunteers at Freescale?
>
> I don't have the time to handle this in a good way. It would be good
> if someone at Freescale could step in.

I see. Thank you very much anyway.

So until someone volunteers here, we leave this part untouched yet.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
miracle:  an  extremely  outstanding  or  unusual  event,  thing,  or
accomplishment.                                - Webster's Dictionary

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-07 11:03   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-07 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Kyungmin Park,

In message <9c9fda240909061806j5ecc26c3ie53215e8aa0175f0@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Samsung (s3c, s5pc):            Are there any volunteers at Samsung?
> >

> I recommended the Minky Kang. He's working for several years for
> u-boot from pxa, omap3, s3c6410 and s5pc1xx series.

Thanks.

> But with our internal security policy it's hard to use ssh on u-boot
> git. so we want to use u-boot-arm as base.

Well, I think we can leave out the technical details here; we will
find solutions to these.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I don't mind criticism. You know me. I've  never  been  one  to  take
offence  at  criticism. No one could say I'm the sort to take offence
at criticism -- Not twice, anyway. Not without blowing bubbles.
                                  - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-07 12:51   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello everybody,

I wrote on

| Hello everybody,
|
| ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
| number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
| this area is literally exploding.  This is partially due to the fact
| that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
| processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
| and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
| vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
| U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
| are!).
|
| It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
| massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
| like Jean-Christophe.
|
| I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
| i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
| few more custodians.
|
| Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
| defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
| differentiate by silicon vendors.

Thanks for all the discussion so far. I really appreciate your help.

As we are in the middle of a merge window, I don't want to waste much
time. Therefore changes become effective immediately.

This is the result we have so far:

master ARM repository:        Tom Rix

        Tom has accepted his new responsibility. Thanks a lot for
        that. Tom succeeds Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard who did
        this work so far.

        Big thanks goes to Jean-Christophe for all his work so far. I
        hope this change helps to reduce your work load enough so you
        can focus n the many tasks you are running in parallel. Many
        of us are looking forward to seeing your results.

Atmel (AT91):                 Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

	no changes here.

Freescale (i.MX)

	So far we didn't find a volunteer yet.

	Until we find one, we will not split out a separate repository
	either.

Marvell (PXA + IXP):          Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

	no changes here.

Marvell (all other):          Prafulla Wadaskar

        Prafulla has accepted his new responsibility. Thanks a lot
        for that.

Samsung (s3c, s5pc):          Minkyu Kang

	We don't have Minkyu Kang's word yet, but Kyungmin Park
	recommended him, and I'm optimistic to receiving his OK.

Texas Instruments (OMAP,DaVinci):     Sandeep Paulraj

	Sandeep has accepted responsibility for TI's DaVinci SOCs; at
	the moment it is not clear yet how we will handle OMAP -
	Sandeep suggested to split OMAP and DaVinci into separate
	repositories, but I would like to avoid this, at least until
	all the other changes have sunk in and stabilized. I hope that
	others (Dirk, Tom) can help out a bit here and support Sandeep
	where needed.

I will thus create the following new git repositories:

	u-boot-marvell
	u-boot-samsung
	u-boot-ti

Tom, Prafulla, Minkyu and Sandeep: can you please send me your SSH
public keys so I can enable your access to these repositories?

Minkyu - Kyungmin mentioned that you have problems to push files to
an external git repository through SSH. Is there any other method we
can set up to make access for you easier? Anything that can be done
onour side (like providing a special configuration, say with
non-standsard port numbers or so) is easy for us. Alternatively, if
you could set up a local repository on your side and enable me to
access it through ssh or rsync, I can easily use this and mirror it
to the publicly accessable server. In short - if there is anything we
can do to make work easier for you, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
WARNING:  This Product Attracts Every Other Piece  of  Matter in  the
Universe, Including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force
Proportional  to the Product of the Masses and Inversely Proportional
to the Distance Between Them.

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-07 14:05     ` Minkyu Kang
From: Minkyu Kang @ 2009-09-07 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Wolfgang,

2009/9/7 Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>

> Hello everybody,
>
> I wrote on
>
> | Hello everybody,
> |
> | ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
> | number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
> | this area is literally exploding.  This is partially due to the fact
> | that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
> | processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
> | and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
> | vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
> | U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
> | are!).
> |
> | It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
> | massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
> | like Jean-Christophe.
> |
> | I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
> | i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
> | few more custodians.
> |
> | Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
> | defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
> | differentiate by silicon vendors.
>
> Thanks for all the discussion so far. I really appreciate your help.
>

> As we are in the middle of a merge window, I don't want to waste much
> time. Therefore changes become effective immediately.
>
> This is the result we have so far:
>

> master ARM repository:        Tom Rix
>
>         Tom has accepted his new responsibility. Thanks a lot for
>        that. Tom succeeds Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard who did
>        this work so far.
>
>        Big thanks goes to Jean-Christophe for all his work so far. I
>        hope this change helps to reduce your work load enough so you
>        can focus n the many tasks you are running in parallel. Many
>        of us are looking forward to seeing your results.
>
> Atmel (AT91):                 Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>
>         no changes here.
>
> Freescale (i.MX)
>
>        So far we didn't find a volunteer yet.
>
>        Until we find one, we will not split out a separate repository
>        either.
>
> Marvell (PXA + IXP):          Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>
>         no changes here.
>
> Marvell (all other):          Prafulla Wadaskar
>
>         Prafulla has accepted his new responsibility. Thanks a lot
>        for that.
>
> Samsung (s3c, s5pc):          Minkyu Kang
>
>        We don't have Minkyu Kang's word yet, but Kyungmin Park
>        recommended him, and I'm optimistic to receiving his OK.

sorry to late response.
I need all of your help :)
Thank you for give me the opportunity.

> Texas Instruments (OMAP,DaVinci):     Sandeep Paulraj
>
>        Sandeep has accepted responsibility for TI's DaVinci SOCs; at
>        the moment it is not clear yet how we will handle OMAP -
>        Sandeep suggested to split OMAP and DaVinci into separate
>        repositories, but I would like to avoid this, at least until
>        all the other changes have sunk in and stabilized. I hope that
>        others (Dirk, Tom) can help out a bit here and support Sandeep
>        where needed.
>

> I will thus create the following new git repositories:
>
>        u-boot-marvell
>        u-boot-samsung
>        u-boot-ti
>
> Tom, Prafulla, Minkyu and Sandeep: can you please send me your SSH
> public keys so I can enable your access to these repositories?
>

> Minkyu - Kyungmin mentioned that you have problems to push files to
> an external git repository through SSH. Is there any other method we
> can set up to make access for you easier? Anything that can be done
> onour side (like providing a special configuration, say with
> non-standsard port numbers or so) is easy for us. Alternatively, if
> you could set up a local repository on your side and enable me to
> access it through ssh or rsync, I can easily use this and mirror it
> to the publicly accessable server. In short - if there is anything we
> can do to make work easier for you, please don't hesitate to tell me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

> WARNING:  This Product Attracts Every Other Piece  of  Matter in  the
> Universe, Including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force
> Proportional  to the Product of the Masses and Inversely Proportional
> to the Distance Between Them.

Thanks.
Minkyu Kang.
--
from. prom.
www.promsoft.net

* [U-Boot] Merging u-boot-s3c24xx with u-boot-samsung
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-09-08 12:45 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-08 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Harald,

in the context of splitting the ARM architecure into vendor-related
sub-repositories an new "u-boot-samsung.git" repository has been
created; it seems to make sense to merge the older u-boot-s3c24xx
repository into this one.

As you're the custodian for the u-boot-s3c24xx repository I would like
to hear your opinion about this.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A person with one watch knows what time it  is;  a  person  with  two
watches is never sure.                                       Proverb

* [U-Boot] Merging u-boot-s3c24xx with u-boot-samsung
@ 2009-09-09 11:06   ` Harald Welte
From: Harald Welte @ 2009-09-09 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Wolfgang,

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 02:45:18PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> in the context of splitting the ARM architecure into vendor-related
> sub-repositories an new "u-boot-samsung.git" repository has been
> created; it seems to make sense to merge the older u-boot-s3c24xx
> repository into this one.
>
> As you're the custodian for the u-boot-s3c24xx repository I would like
> to hear your opinion about this.

I'm perfectly fine with this, as I have not really used my custodian status
much anyway.  I always assumed I would find more time to contribute patches
from the Openmoko times, but never got around doing that, too many other
projects.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-09-21 11:37 ` Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
From: Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD @ 2009-09-21 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 23:57 Fri 04 Sep     , Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
> number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
> this area is literally exploding.  This is partially due to the fact
> that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
> processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
> and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
> vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
> U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
> are!).
>
> It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
> massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
> like Jean-Christophe.
>
> I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
> i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
> few more custodians.
>
> Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
> defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
> differentiate by silicon vendors.
>
> After much thinking I therefor suggest to implement the following
> change for the ARM architecture:
>

> master ARM repository:		Tom Rix
>
> Atmel (AT91):			Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>
> Marvell (PXA + IXP):		Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
I decline it

Best Regards,
J.

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-21 12:44   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-21 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Jean-Christophe,

in message <20090921113701.GP29905@game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:

> > Atmel (AT91):			Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
> >
> > Marvell (PXA + IXP):		Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
> I decline it

Thank you for the clear statement. Thanks again for the work you did
in the past.

May I inquire what your plans are for other development tasks which
you said in the past you were working on (generic cache support for
ARM, Kconfig, etc.)?  Will you continue this work and submit any
patches for these? If so, when might this happen?

Tom, I suggest we proceed as follows:

- IXP and PXA are really low traffic these days (EOL products); I
  think we can give up these repositories and just ran this through
  the generic ARM repo.

- AT91 needs a new custodian. Let's see if someone volunteers. Until
  then, please try to pick up related patches directly.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The inappropriate cannot be beautiful.
             - Frank Lloyd Wright _The Future of Architecture_ (1953)

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-21 16:43     ` Prafulla Wadaskar
From: Prafulla Wadaskar @ 2009-09-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I would love to own this one too.
But I will check if somebody more capable in Marvell can help to own this activity.

Regards..
Prafulla . .

@ 2009-09-21 17:45     ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-09-21 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Jean-Christophe,
>
> in message <20090921113701.GP29905@game.jcrosoft.org> you wrote:
>>> Atmel (AT91):			Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>>>
>>> Marvell (PXA + IXP):		Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard
>> I decline it
>
> Thank you for the clear statement. Thanks again for the work you did
> in the past.
>
> May I inquire what your plans are for other development tasks which
> you said in the past you were working on (generic cache support for
> ARM, Kconfig, etc.)?  Will you continue this work and submit any
> patches for these? If so, when might this happen?
>

> Tom, I suggest we proceed as follows:
>
> - IXP and PXA are really low traffic these days (EOL products); I
>   think we can give up these repositories and just ran this through
>   the generic ARM repo.

OK.

> - AT91 needs a new custodian. Let's see if someone volunteers. Until
>   then, please try to pick up related patches directly.

OK

@ 2009-09-21 17:48       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Prafulla,

in message <73173D32E9439E4ABB5151606C3E19E202ED512BC1@SC-VEXCH1.marvell.com> you wrote:

> > - IXP and PXA are really low traffic these days (EOL products); I
> >   think we can give up these repositories and just ran this through
> >   the generic ARM repo.
>
> I would love to own this one too.
> But I will check if somebody more capable in Marvell can help to own this activity.

Given the low traffic for these processors I think we can stop having
a separate repository. If you want to care about this, we can run this
through the existing u-boot-marvell repository, which is only logical.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Anyone who knows history, particularly the history of Europe, will, I
think, recognize that the domination of education or of government by
any one particular religious faith is never a happy  arrangement  for
the people.                                       - Eleanor Roosevelt

* [U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload
@ 2009-09-21 17:51       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2009-09-21 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Prafulla Wadaskar wrote:

> [...]

If the traffic was low, I would just as well kill off the pxa and ixp
repo's.
Tom