* Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-20 16:38 Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi Grub2 fans!

I'm trying to get Grub2 working on a Efi platform (MacBook 5,1).
In version 1.96 I get a menu with a working MacOSX entry, but linux
won't boot. I just get some output which looks like data for the video
card, than the system hangs.

With todays SVN version (which does not compile configured without
--disable-werror) I just get a rescue shell with loads of messages on
unknown commands.

By the way, how do I scroll up to the topmost message in grub-shell?

Here is my grub.cfg:

 timeout=10

menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI" {
    root=(hd1,3)
    loadbios /boot/vbios.bin /boot/int10.bin
    linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
agp=off noefi
}

menuentry "MacOSX" {
 root=(hd1,2)
 chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
}

Has anybody a clue?

kind regards,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-20 16:49 ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2009-09-20 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 06:38:36PM +0200, Stefan Bienert wrote:
> Hi Grub2 fans!
>
> I'm trying to get Grub2 working on a Efi platform (MacBook 5,1).
> In version 1.96

Don't use 1.96.

--
Robert Millan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-20 16:56   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 06:38:36PM +0200, Stefan Bienert wrote:
>> Hi Grub2 fans!
>>
>> I'm trying to get Grub2 working on a Efi platform (MacBook 5,1).
>> In version 1.96
>
> Don't use 1.96.

After the first problems I used the SVN version like said on the Grub2
pages on reporting bugs.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-20 20:00 ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-09-20 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Stefan Bienert wrote:
> Hi Grub2 fans!
>
> I'm trying to get Grub2 working on a Efi platform (MacBook 5,1).
> In version 1.96 I get a menu with a working MacOSX entry, but linux
> won't boot. I just get some output which looks like data for the video
> card, than the system hangs.
>
> With todays SVN version (which does not compile configured without
> --disable-werror) I just get a rescue shell with loads of messages on
> unknown commands.
>
> By the way, how do I scroll up to the topmost message in grub-shell?
>
> Here is my grub.cfg:
>
>  timeout=10
>
> menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI" {
>     root=(hd1,3)
>     loadbios /boot/vbios.bin /boot/int10.bin
>     linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
> agp=off noefi
> }
>
> menuentry "MacOSX" {
>  root=(hd1,2)
>  chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
> }
>
> Has anybody a clue?

Please supply your grub-mkimage line. Try putting all modules in
grub.efi except kernel.mod. In NO CASE add kernel on grub-mkimage line
as it's already implied and adding it explicitly results in serious and
various problems. We need a foolproof here
> kind regards,
>
> Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-21 18:34   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-21 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

>> I'm trying to get Grub2 working on a Efi platform (MacBook 5,1).
>> In version 1.96 I get a menu with a working MacOSX entry, but linux
>> won't boot. I just get some output which looks like data for the video
>> card, than the system hangs.
>>
>> With todays SVN version (which does not compile configured without
>> --disable-werror) I just get a rescue shell with loads of messages on
>> unknown commands.
>>
>> By the way, how do I scroll up to the topmost message in grub-shell?
>>
>> Here is my grub.cfg:
>>
>>  timeout=10
>>
>> menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI" {
>>     root=(hd1,3)
>>     loadbios /boot/vbios.bin /boot/int10.bin
>>     linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
>> agp=off noefi
>> }
>>
>> menuentry "MacOSX" {
>>  root=(hd1,2)
>>  chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
>> }
>>
>> Has anybody a clue?
>>

> Please supply your grub-mkimage line. Try putting all modules in
> grub.efi except kernel.mod. In NO CASE add kernel on grub-mkimage line
> as it's already implied and adding it explicitly results in serious and
> various problems. We need a foolproof here
Thanks for the tip,

This is my grub-mkimage line:
grub-mkimage -o grub.efi part_gpt hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot
configfile part_apple appleldr

Next I try to include all modules.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-21 21:15     ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-21 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

> This is my grub-mkimage line:
> grub-mkimage -o grub.efi part_gpt hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot
> configfile part_apple appleldr
>
> Next I try to include all modules.
>
> greetings,
>
> Stefan

OK, now I've included ALL modules BUT kernel in yesterdays SVN version
and I'm at the same state as with 1.96: Menu appears, items can be
choosed but the system hangs after giving some, what I guess is, video data.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 14:01       ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-09-22 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

2009/9/21 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
>> This is my grub-mkimage line:
>> grub-mkimage -o grub.efi part_gpt hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot
>> configfile part_apple appleldr
>>
>> Next I try to include all modules.
>>
>> greetings,
>>
>> Stefan
>
> OK, now I've included ALL modules BUT kernel in yesterdays SVN version
> and I'm at the same state as with 1.96: Menu appears, items can be
> choosed but the system hangs after giving some, what I guess is, video data.

Why noefi?

Doesn't this cause problems?

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 14:36         ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

>>> This is my grub-mkimage line:
>>> grub-mkimage -o grub.efi part_gpt hfsplus fat ext2 normal chain boot
>>> configfile part_apple appleldr
>>>
>>> Next I try to include all modules.
>>>
>>> greetings,
>>>
>>> Stefan
>> OK, now I've included ALL modules BUT kernel in yesterdays SVN version
>> and I'm at the same state as with 1.96: Menu appears, items can be
>> choosed but the system hangs after giving some, what I guess is, video data.
>>

> Why noefi?
>
> Doesn't this cause problems?

There is no module noefi.mod in my lib/grub2/x86_64.

greetings

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 14:41           ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-09-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

2009/9/22 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:

>>> OK, now I've included ALL modules BUT kernel in yesterdays SVN version
>>> and I'm at the same state as with 1.96: Menu appears, items can be
>>> choosed but the system hangs after giving some, what I guess is, video data.
>>>

>> Why noefi?
>>
>> Doesn't this cause problems?
>
> There is no module noefi.mod in my lib/grub2/x86_64.

No, I mean this noefi:

>>  timeout=10
>>
>> menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI" {
>>     root=(hd1,3)
>>     loadbios /boot/vbios.bin /boot/int10.bin
>>     linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
>> agp=off noefi
>> }
>>
>> menuentry "MacOSX" {
>>  root=(hd1,2)
>>  chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
>> }

I would just boot with video=efifb, no bioses, and no X.

For me X sort of works with agp and no bios but I guess this is quite
dependent on the graphics type.

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 15:15             ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

>>>  timeout=10
>>>
>>> menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI" {
>>>     root=(hd1,3)
>>>     loadbios /boot/vbios.bin /boot/int10.bin
>>>     linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
>>> agp=off noefi
>>> }
>>>
>>> menuentry "MacOSX" {
>>>  root=(hd1,2)
>>>  chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
>>> }
>
> I would just boot with video=efifb, no bioses, and no X.
>
> For me X sort of works with agp and no bios but I guess this is quite
> dependent on the graphics type.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

I tried changing my menu entries vie 'e' in the menu. Nothing works,
only with video=efifb, without noefi and all other sorts of
combinations. Could it be that I need some different video=...?
The last line of my boot-attempts is always something like "Video line
length".

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 15:29               ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-09-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

>> I would just boot with video=efifb, no bioses, and no X.
>>
>> For me X sort of works with agp and no bios but I guess this is quite
>> dependent on the graphics type.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michal
>
> I tried changing my menu entries vie 'e' in the menu. Nothing works,
> only with video=efifb, without noefi and all other sorts of
> combinations. Could it be that I need some different video=...?
> The last line of my boot-attempts is always something like "Video line
> length".

Not likely, the only video that reasonably works without a bios is efifb.

On the other hand, if you boot with a video bios and with noefi you
might get away with something like vga=normal, vga=ask  or
video=vesafb or something like video=vga16fb.

Unfortunately. grub refuses to pass on vga=ask for me.

I am not sure what vbios is supposed to do for you. There is also the
question when the graphics card is switched to vga. Normally the
kernel expects the card to be in vga state so it should be probably
done by grub.

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 17:34                 ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-22 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Michal Suchanek wrote:

>>> I would just boot with video=efifb, no bioses, and no X.
>>>
>>> For me X sort of works with agp and no bios but I guess this is quite
>>> dependent on the graphics type.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Michal
>> I tried changing my menu entries vie 'e' in the menu. Nothing works,
>> only with video=efifb, without noefi and all other sorts of
>> combinations. Could it be that I need some different video=...?
>> The last line of my boot-attempts is always something like "Video line
>> length".
>
> Not likely, the only video that reasonably works without a bios is efifb.
>
> On the other hand, if you boot with a video bios and with noefi you
> might get away with something like vga=normal, vga=ask  or
> video=vesafb or something like video=vga16fb.
>
> Unfortunately. grub refuses to pass on vga=ask for me.
>
> I am not sure what vbios is supposed to do for you. There is also the
> question when the graphics card is switched to vga. Normally the
> kernel expects the card to be in vga state so it should be probably
> done by grub.

OK...so, do we have any more dense tips, here? Sounds like the two of us
are somehow lost ;-) I tried playing around with video=... without any
success. Where can I find some docu on grub2 video and vga options?

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 17:42                   ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-09-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2009, 19:34 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:
> Michal Suchanek wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately. grub refuses to pass on vga=ask for me.

vga=ask only works with the old linux loader, linux16.
But that isn't avaible in EFI because in EFI you can't load the kernel
with its 16 bit entry point.

> > I am not sure what vbios is supposed to do for you. There is also the
> > question when the graphics card is switched to vga. Normally the
> > kernel expects the card to be in vga state so it should be probably
> > done by grub.
>
> OK...so, do we have any more dense tips, here? Sounds like the two of us
> are somehow lost ;-) I tried playing around with video=... without any
> success. Where can I find some docu on grub2 video and vga options?

you're searching in the wrong place. video and vga are options for the
Linux kernel.
Though vga= is parsed by grub, because the kernel excepts it's value in
a different format then in the standard commandline.
Note that `set gfxpayload=1024x768x16' (or whatever resolution/depth you
want) is now the prefered way with the new Linux loader.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 17:54                     ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-22 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2009, 19:34 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:
>> Michal Suchanek wrote:
>>> Unfortunately. grub refuses to pass on vga=ask for me.
>
> vga=ask only works with the old linux loader, linux16.
> But that isn't avaible in EFI because in EFI you can't load the kernel
> with its 16 bit entry point.
>

>>> I am not sure what vbios is supposed to do for you. There is also the
>>> question when the graphics card is switched to vga. Normally the
>>> kernel expects the card to be in vga state so it should be probably
>>> done by grub.
>> OK...so, do we have any more dense tips, here? Sounds like the two of us
>> are somehow lost ;-) I tried playing around with video=... without any
>> success. Where can I find some docu on grub2 video and vga options?
>>

> you're searching in the wrong place. video and vga are options for the
> Linux kernel.
> Though vga= is parsed by grub, because the kernel excepts it's value in
> a different format then in the standard commandline.
> Note that `set gfxpayload=1024x768x16' (or whatever resolution/depth you
> want) is now the prefered way with the new Linux loader.

AHA! Well, confusion rises ...

So, my grub-legacy configuration uses none of video or vga options...is
there a way to test if efifb is working with my kernel, anyway? I think
a hint where to search should be enough.

Just to get this right: If I use any framebuffer beside efifb, I need to
load a video bios?

And last, but not least: What does "Linux loader" mean?

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 18:07                       ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-09-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Dienstag, den 22.09.2009, 19:54 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:
> Felix Zielcke wrote:
> >
> > vga=ask only works with the old linux loader, linux16.
> > But that isn't avaible in EFI because in EFI you can't load the kernel
> > with its 16 bit entry point.

> >> OK...so, do we have any more dense tips, here? Sounds like the two of us
> >> are somehow lost ;-) I tried playing around with video=... without any
> >> success. Where can I find some docu on grub2 video and vga options?
> >>

> > you're searching in the wrong place. video and vga are options for the
> > Linux kernel.
> > Though vga= is parsed by grub, because the kernel excepts it's value in
> > a different format then in the standard commandline.
> > Note that `set gfxpayload=1024x768x16' (or whatever resolution/depth you
> > want) is now the prefered way with the new Linux loader.
>
> AHA! Well, confusion rises ...
>
> So, my grub-legacy configuration uses none of video or vga options...is
> there a way to test if efifb is working with my kernel, anyway? I think
> a hint where to search should be enough.
>
> Just to get this right: If I use any framebuffer beside efifb, I need to
> load a video bios?

I don't have any EFI system myself and thus never used it, so I can't
help wit that.
> And last, but not least: What does "Linux loader" mean?

The linux or linux16 commands in GRUB 2.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 18:27                       ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-09-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Felix Zielcke wrote:
>>
>> vga=ask only works with the old linux loader, linux16.
>> But that isn't avaible in EFI because in EFI you can't load the kernel
>> with its 16 bit entry point.

>>> OK...so, do we have any more dense tips, here? Sounds like the two of us
>>> are somehow lost ;-) I tried playing around with video=... without any
>>> success. Where can I find some docu on grub2 video and vga options?
>>>

>> you're searching in the wrong place. video and vga are options for the
>> Linux kernel.
>> Though vga= is parsed by grub, because the kernel excepts it's value in
>> a different format then in the standard commandline.
>> Note that `set gfxpayload=1024x768x16' (or whatever resolution/depth you
>> want) is now the prefered way with the new Linux loader.
>
> AHA! Well, confusion rises ...
>
> So, my grub-legacy configuration uses none of video or vga options...is
> there a way to test if efifb is working with my kernel, anyway? I think
> a hint where to search should be enough.
>
> Just to get this right: If I use any framebuffer beside efifb, I need to
> load a video bios?
>
> And last, but not least: What does "Linux loader" mean?

Hi,

You can try my repo at at http://github.com/bean123/grub/, I believe
it has some uncommitted patches for the EFI platform.

You can use the following menuentry:

menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI"
{
    root=(hd1,3)
    fakebios
    linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
noefi acpi=force
    initrd /boot/...
}

loadbios is only useful if you want to use accelerated graphic driver
for some ati or intel card, mb 5.1 has nvidia card, so fakebios would
do.

noefi is used to work around a bug in 2.6.27-2.6.28 amd64 kernel.
However, if you use noefi, you must also use fakebios/loadbios
otherwise the keyboard is not responsive after boot. But
fakebios/loadbios would cause problem in some new mb model. If that's
the case, you can try the 2.6.26 amd64 kernel without fakebios and
noefi option.

--
Bean

gitgrub home: http://github.com/grub/grub/
my fork page: http://github.com/bean123/grub/

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-22 20:12                         ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-22 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

> Hi,
>
> You can try my repo at at http://github.com/bean123/grub/, I believe
> it has some uncommitted patches for the EFI platform.
>
> You can use the following menuentry:
>
> menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI"
> {
>     root=(hd1,3)
>     fakebios
>     linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
> noefi acpi=force
>     initrd /boot/...
> }
>
> loadbios is only useful if you want to use accelerated graphic driver
> for some ati or intel card, mb 5.1 has nvidia card, so fakebios would
> do.
>
> noefi is used to work around a bug in 2.6.27-2.6.28 amd64 kernel.
> However, if you use noefi, you must also use fakebios/loadbios
> otherwise the keyboard is not responsive after boot. But
> fakebios/loadbios would cause problem in some new mb model. If that's
> the case, you can try the 2.6.26 amd64 kernel without fakebios and
> noefi option.

Thanks for the reply. I cloned your repo to my hard disk, compiled and
now I'm at image generation:

grub-mkimage -o grub.efi acpi affs afs_be afs appleldr befs_be befs
bitmap blocklist boot bufio cat chain cmp configfile cpio crc datehook
date dm_nv echo efi_fb elf ext2 extcmd fat fixvideo font fs_file fshelp
fs_uuid gfxmenu gfxterm gptsync gzio halt handler hello help hexdump hfs
hfspbless hfsplus iso9660 jfs jpeg keystatus linux loadbios loadenv
loopback ls lspci lua lvm mdraid memrw minicmd minix mmap msdospart
normal ntfscomp ntfs part_acorn part_amiga part_apple part_bsd part_gpt
part_msdos part_sun part_sunpc parttool password pci png probe raid5rec
raid6rec raid read reboot reiserfs scsi search setjmp sfs sh sleep tar
terminfo test tga trig true udf ufs1 ufs2 utf video_fb video videotest
xfs xnu xnu_uuid zfsinfo zfs

But I get an error message:

grub-mkimage: error: unresolved symbol grub_get_datetime

Any suggestions?

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Grub2 and Efi (MacBook 5,1)
@ 2009-09-23  3:03                           ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-09-23  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can try my repo at at http://github.com/bean123/grub/, I believe
>> it has some uncommitted patches for the EFI platform.
>>
>> You can use the following menuentry:
>>
>> menuentry "Gentoo Linux 3 NOAGB NOEFI"
>> {
>>     root=(hd1,3)
>>     fakebios
>>     linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb
>> noefi acpi=force
>>     initrd /boot/...
>> }
>>
>> loadbios is only useful if you want to use accelerated graphic driver
>> for some ati or intel card, mb 5.1 has nvidia card, so fakebios would
>> do.
>>
>> noefi is used to work around a bug in 2.6.27-2.6.28 amd64 kernel.
>> However, if you use noefi, you must also use fakebios/loadbios
>> otherwise the keyboard is not responsive after boot. But
>> fakebios/loadbios would cause problem in some new mb model. If that's
>> the case, you can try the 2.6.26 amd64 kernel without fakebios and
>> noefi option.
>>

> Thanks for the reply. I cloned your repo to my hard disk, compiled and
> now I'm at image generation:
>
> grub-mkimage -o grub.efi acpi affs afs_be afs appleldr befs_be befs
> bitmap blocklist boot bufio cat chain cmp configfile cpio crc datehook
> date dm_nv echo efi_fb elf ext2 extcmd fat fixvideo font fs_file fshelp
> fs_uuid gfxmenu gfxterm gptsync gzio halt handler hello help hexdump hfs
> hfspbless hfsplus iso9660 jfs jpeg keystatus linux loadbios loadenv
> loopback ls lspci lua lvm mdraid memrw minicmd minix mmap msdospart
> normal ntfscomp ntfs part_acorn part_amiga part_apple part_bsd part_gpt
> part_msdos part_sun part_sunpc parttool password pci png probe raid5rec
> raid6rec raid read reboot reiserfs scsi search setjmp sfs sh sleep tar
> terminfo test tga trig true udf ufs1 ufs2 utf video_fb video videotest
> xfs xnu xnu_uuid zfsinfo zfs
>
> But I get an error message:
>
> grub-mkimage: error: unresolved symbol grub_get_datetime
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi,

The following modules should be enough:

minicmd part_msdos part_gpt fat ext2 hfsplus ntfs reiserfs xfs iso9660
ls search loopback linux chain reboot halt appleldr help configfile
hexdump loadbios fixvideo sh

--

@ 2009-09-24 18:36                             ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

> Hi,
>
> The following modules should be enough:
>
> minicmd part_msdos part_gpt fat ext2 hfsplus ntfs reiserfs xfs iso9660
> ls search loopback linux chain reboot halt appleldr help configfile
> hexdump loadbios fixvideo sh

Yeah, it works! Thanks' a lot. I built the new grub.efi as you suggested
and now I'm able to boot using efi.

Now for the next problems ;-)
I do not see any messages while booting. Just grub-menu, some lines
about booting with command list, next thing that appears on the screen
is the x-server. Same for shutdown.

Next thing I'll test: How is the Nvidia 9400M performing after booting
with efi.

greetings,

Stefan

* Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 12:34                               ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-26 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi again,

2 days of booting with grub2 in EFI mode and still happy...

Now I have several further questions:

- Depending on whether an USB disk is connected, or not, the hd numbers
change. Is there a setup to avoid changing the numbers in the entries on
boot?

- The menu is rather small, is it possible to expand the display to
1280x800?

- Since I own a Macbook, I want my boot manager nice and shiny. How do I
set the looks? E.g. Background image? Couldn't find helpful info in the
manual-draft.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 13:13                                 ` Bean
                                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bean @ 2009-09-26 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> 2 days of booting with grub2 in EFI mode and still happy...
>
> Now I have several further questions:
>
> - Depending on whether an USB disk is connected, or not, the hd numbers
> change. Is there a setup to avoid changing the numbers in the entries on
> boot?

Hi,

You can use search command to locate the root device. Something like this:

search --set /vmlinuz
linux /vmlinuz ...
initrd /initrd.img

> - The menu is rather small, is it possible to expand the display to
> 1280x800?
>
> - Since I own a Macbook, I want my boot manager nice and shiny. How do I
> set the looks? E.g. Background image? Couldn't find helpful info in the
> manual-draft.

If you use my repo, you can enable graphic mode for EFI, it even
allows you to set a background image. Add these lines in grub.cfg:

set gfxmode="0x0"
loadfont /unifont.pf2
terminal_output.gfxterm
background_image /splash.png

You need to include these modules when generating grub.efi: video
efi_fb gfxterm font png jpeg

unifont.pf2 is the font file, you can generate it using grub-mkfont,
or just download it here:

http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/unifont.pf2

--

@ 2009-09-26 14:25                                 ` Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2009-09-26 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Stefan Bienert wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> 2 days of booting with grub2 in EFI mode and still happy...
>
> Now I have several further questions:
>
> - Depending on whether an USB disk is connected, or not, the hd numbers
> change. Is there a setup to avoid changing the numbers in the entries on
> boot?

Use UUIDs
> - The menu is rather small, is it possible to expand the display to
> 1280x800?
>
> - Since I own a Macbook, I want my boot manager nice and shiny. How do I
> set the looks? E.g. Background image? Couldn't find helpful info in the
> manual-draft.

Use Bean's repo
> greetings,
>
> Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 19:12                                   ` Seth Goldberg
From: Seth Goldberg @ 2009-09-26 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2; +Cc: The development of GRUB 2

Hi,

   I think we need better hinting for efi disks.  Since efi supports
finding a disk based on its pci information and port connection, why
not pass that information as a hint to reduce the amount of time
required or to eliminate it completely?

   --S

@ 2009-09-26 19:54                                   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-26 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hi again,

> Hi,
>
> You can use search command to locate the root device. Something like this:
>
> search --set /vmlinuz
> linux /vmlinuz ...
> initrd /initrd.img

Well, this does not work. I get a message about wrong search term or
something similar.

> If you use my repo, you can enable graphic mode for EFI, it even
> allows you to set a background image. Add these lines in grub.cfg:

> set gfxmode="0x0"
> loadfont /unifont.pf2
> terminal_output.gfxterm
> background_image /splash.png

Does this go on one line? Where does the image go? Root of the partition
where the grub.efi is?
I tried the lines above each on their own line, picture is on the linux
partition.

> You need to include these modules when generating grub.efi: video
> efi_fb gfxterm font png jpeg

Did that.

> unifont.pf2 is the font file, you can generate it using grub-mkfont,
> or just download it here:
>
> http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/unifont.pf2

I left the font out for the first try. Does this hurt?

greetins,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 19:55                                   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-26 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Stefan Bienert wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> 2 days of booting with grub2 in EFI mode and still happy...
>>
>> Now I have several further questions:
>>
>> - Depending on whether an USB disk is connected, or not, the hd numbers
>> change. Is there a setup to avoid changing the numbers in the entries on
>> boot?
>>
> Use UUIDs

What is that? Where do I get it from? How do I incorporate this into
grub.cg?

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 19:59                                     ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-09-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Samstag, den 26.09.2009, 21:54 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:
> Hi again,
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can use search command to locate the root device. Something like this:
> >
> > search --set /vmlinuz
> > linux /vmlinuz ...
> > initrd /initrd.img
>
> Well, this does not work. I get a message about wrong search term or
> something similar.

Because you have to use search --set --file /vmlinuz
By the way search --help would tell you

> > If you use my repo, you can enable graphic mode for EFI, it even
> > allows you to set a background image. Add these lines in grub.cfg:
>
> > set gfxmode="0x0"
> > loadfont /unifont.pf2
> > terminal_output.gfxterm
> > background_image /splash.png
>
> Does this go on one line?
If you want to have it on one line you have so seperate them with ; just
like in bash

>  Where does the image go? Root of the partition
> where the grub.efi is?
> I tried the lines above each on their own line, picture is on the linux
> partition.

Either use set root= or search --set --file like above.
Just as with GRUB Legacy root specifies where it looks for the file

> > unifont.pf2 is the font file, you can generate it using grub-mkfont,
> > or just download it here:
> >
> > http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/unifont.pf2
> >

> I left the font out for the first try. Does this hurt?

Without a font you only get ? in gfxterm

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 20:01                                     ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-09-26 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

>  Where do I get it from?

grub-probe -t fs_uuid /
or grub-probe -t fs_uuid -d /dev/sda1

> How do I incorporate this into
> grub.cg?

search --set --fs-uuid abc-123...

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-26 20:48                                       ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

And another "Hi",

update: Using '--file' in the search did the trick! I really start
loving Grub2: Really faster booting, seems to be easy to configure...

>>> Use UUIDs
>> What is that?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

You know, you make feeling me like a noob again.

>>  Where do I get it from?
>
> grub-probe -t fs_uuid /
> or grub-probe -t fs_uuid -d /dev/sda1
>
>> How do I incorporate this into
>> grub.cg?

> search --set --fs-uuid abc-123...

Just for the sake of completion: abc-123.../path/to/kernel?

I prefer using the search for a file, since I may switch disks without
resetting the uuid.

Now for the eye-candy...

greetings and many, many thanks,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 10:39                                         ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-09-27 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Samstag, den 26.09.2009, 22:48 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:
> And another "Hi",
>
> update: Using '--file' in the search did the trick! I really start
> loving Grub2: Really faster booting, seems to be easy to configure...

> >> What is that?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID
>
> You know, you make feeling me like a noob again.
>
> >>  Where do I get it from?
> >
> > grub-probe -t fs_uuid /
> > or grub-probe -t fs_uuid -d /dev/sda1
> >
> >> How do I incorporate this into
> >> grub.cg?
>
> > search --set --fs-uuid abc-123...
>
> Just for the sake of completion: abc-123.../path/to/kernel?

No. If you use --fs-uuid instead of --file then you use the UUID.
I thought it would be clear, to just use the UUID value grub-probe tells
you. Without any path appended to it.

> I prefer using the search for a file, since I may switch disks without
> resetting the uuid.

If the file you use for the search command only exists once in your
system then it's fine.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 11:11                                           ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-27 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

>>> grub-probe -t fs_uuid /
>>> or grub-probe -t fs_uuid -d /dev/sda1

>>> search --set --fs-uuid abc-123...
>> Just for the sake of completion: abc-123.../path/to/kernel?

> No. If you use --fs-uuid instead of --file then you use the UUID.
> I thought it would be clear, to just use the UUID value grub-probe tells
> you. Without any path appended to it.

OK, after search-setting the UUID I just load the kernel as usual?

>> I prefer using the search for a file, since I may switch disks without
>> resetting the uuid.

> If the file you use for the search command only exists once in your
> system then it's fine.

This was obvious to me ;-)

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 11:14                                             ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2009-09-27 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Am Sonntag, den 27.09.2009, 13:11 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:

> >> Just for the sake of completion: abc-123.../path/to/kernel?
>
> > No. If you use --fs-uuid instead of --file then you use the UUID.
> > I thought it would be clear, to just use the UUID value grub-probe tells
> > you. Without any path appended to it.
>
> OK, after search-setting the UUID I just load the kernel as usual?

Yes.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 11:40                                   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-27 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

>> - The menu is rather small, is it possible to expand the display to
>> 1280x800?
>>
>> - Since I own a Macbook, I want my boot manager nice and shiny. How do I
>> set the looks? E.g. Background image? Couldn't find helpful info in the
>> manual-draft.
>
> If you use my repo, you can enable graphic mode for EFI, it even
> allows you to set a background image. Add these lines in grub.cfg:

> set gfxmode="0x0"
> loadfont /unifont.pf2
> terminal_output.gfxterm
> background_image /splash.png

So, my grub.cfg now contains:

set gfxmode="0x0"
search --set --file /boot/unifont.pf2
loadfont /boot/unifont.pf2
terminal_output.gfxterm
search --set --file /boot/splash.jpg
background_image /boot/splash.jpg

But this does not work. I also tried loading gfxterm in the
grub2-console. Even with insmod video, insmod efi_fb before.
If I cast terminal_output.gfxterm to the console, grub2 seems to hang.

Any other ideas?

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 11:48                                     ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-09-27 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

2009/9/27 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
>>> - The menu is rather small, is it possible to expand the display to
>>> 1280x800?
>>>
>>> - Since I own a Macbook, I want my boot manager nice and shiny. How do I
>>> set the looks? E.g. Background image? Couldn't find helpful info in the
>>> manual-draft.
>>
>> If you use my repo, you can enable graphic mode for EFI, it even
>> allows you to set a background image. Add these lines in grub.cfg:
>
>> set gfxmode="0x0"
>> loadfont /unifont.pf2
>> terminal_output.gfxterm
>> background_image /splash.png
>
> So, my grub.cfg now contains:
>
> set gfxmode="0x0"
> search --set --file /boot/unifont.pf2
> loadfont /boot/unifont.pf2
> terminal_output.gfxterm
> search --set --file /boot/splash.jpg
> background_image /boot/splash.jpg
>
> But this does not work. I also tried loading gfxterm in the
> grub2-console. Even with insmod video, insmod efi_fb before.
> If I cast terminal_output.gfxterm to the console, grub2 seems to hang.

Guess it might be broken.

Who has actually tested efi graphics, and on what hardware?

Does it clear/reset graphics before it hangs? If not we could perhaps
add some debug prints to find out what it is doing before the hang.

I could perhaps try the efi graphics driver on some iMacs later
this/next week (depending on the location where you are reading this).

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 13:00                                       ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-27 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Michal Suchanek wrote:

>>> If you use my repo, you can enable graphic mode for EFI, it even
>>> allows you to set a background image. Add these lines in grub.cfg:
>>> set gfxmode="0x0"
>>> loadfont /unifont.pf2
>>> terminal_output.gfxterm
>>> background_image /splash.png
>> So, my grub.cfg now contains:
>>
>> set gfxmode="0x0"
>> search --set --file /boot/unifont.pf2
>> loadfont /boot/unifont.pf2
>> terminal_output.gfxterm
>> search --set --file /boot/splash.jpg
>> background_image /boot/splash.jpg
>>
>> But this does not work. I also tried loading gfxterm in the
>> grub2-console. Even with insmod video, insmod efi_fb before.
>> If I cast terminal_output.gfxterm to the console, grub2 seems to hang.
>>

> Guess it might be broken.
>
> Who has actually tested efi graphics, and on what hardware?
>
> Does it clear/reset graphics before it hangs? If not we could perhaps
> add some debug prints to find out what it is doing before the hang.

For me, the screen freezes, so graphics seem not to be cleared.

> I could perhaps try the efi graphics driver on some iMacs later
> this/next week (depending on the location where you are reading this).

That would be nice. I use Bean's repository.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 15:11                                         ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-09-27 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> For me, the screen freezes, so graphics seem not to be cleared.
>
>> I could perhaps try the efi graphics driver on some iMacs later
>> this/next week (depending on the location where you are reading this).
>
> That would be nice. I use Bean's repository.

Hi,

Most likely it doesn't get the frame buffer address right, so screen
is written to somewhere else, this also consist with the fact you
don't see any console output until x starts.

BTW, when you use the linux command, it should show some line about
detected video card info, can you paste it here.

--

@ 2009-09-27 15:44                                           ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-27 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Bean wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Stefan Bienert
> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>> For me, the screen freezes, so graphics seem not to be cleared.
>>
>>> I could perhaps try the efi graphics driver on some iMacs later
>>> this/next week (depending on the location where you are reading this).
>> That would be nice. I use Bean's repository.
>
> Hi,
>
> Most likely it doesn't get the frame buffer address right, so screen
> is written to somewhere else, this also consist with the fact you
> don't see any console output until x starts.
>
> BTW, when you use the linux command, it should show some line about
> detected video card info, can you paste it here.

Ok, here is what I get after choosing the linux menu entry. Everything
before the menu shows up, is to quick to read.

OUTPUT-Start
Rom image present.
  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x2784a0]
  Video mode: 1280x800-32
  Frame buffer base: 0x80010000
  Video line length: 8192
OUTPUT-End

I hope this is the requested info. Do provide other stuff, I probably
need a detailed instruction.

BTW, I cannot switch to terminal from X after starting with Grub2.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 16:15                                             ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-09-27 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

2009/9/27 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
> Bean wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Stefan Bienert
>> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>>> For me, the screen freezes, so graphics seem not to be cleared.

>>> That would be nice. I use Bean's repository.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Most likely it doesn't get the frame buffer address right, so screen
>> is written to somewhere else, this also consist with the fact you
>> don't see any console output until x starts.
>>
>> BTW, when you use the linux command, it should show some line about
>> detected video card info, can you paste it here.
>>

> Ok, here is what I get after choosing the linux menu entry. Everything
> before the menu shows up, is to quick to read.
>
> OUTPUT-Start
> Rom image present.
>  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x2784a0]
>  Video mode: 1280x800-32
>  Frame buffer base: 0x80010000
>  Video line length: 8192
> OUTPUT-End
>
> I hope this is the requested info. Do provide other stuff, I probably
> need a detailed instruction.
>
> BTW, I cannot switch to terminal from X after starting with Grub2.

Meaning that the keyboard combo does nothing or that switching to the
console does nothing?

It should not do anything visible if the console is drawn in a wrong
place as  suggested.

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 16:49                                               ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-27 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Michal Suchanek wrote:
> 2009/9/27 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
>> Bean wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Most likely it doesn't get the frame buffer address right, so screen
>>> is written to somewhere else, this also consist with the fact you
>>> don't see any console output until x starts.
>>>
>>> BTW, when you use the linux command, it should show some line about
>>> detected video card info, can you paste it here.
>>>
>> Ok, here is what I get after choosing the linux menu entry. Everything
>> before the menu shows up, is to quick to read.
>>
>> OUTPUT-Start
>> Rom image present.
>>  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x2784a0]
>>  Video mode: 1280x800-32
>>  Frame buffer base: 0x80010000
>>  Video line length: 8192
>> OUTPUT-End
>>
>> I hope this is the requested info. Do provide other stuff, I probably
>> need a detailed instruction.
>>
>> BTW, I cannot switch to terminal from X after starting with Grub2.
>
> Meaning that the keyboard combo does nothing or that switching to the
> console does nothing?
>
> It should not do anything visible if the console is drawn in a wrong
> place as  suggested.

Screen switches to "nothing". So X switches to the console and then the
screen stays black.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-09-27 18:39                                             ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-09-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Bean wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Stefan Bienert
>> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>>> For me, the screen freezes, so graphics seem not to be cleared.

>>> That would be nice. I use Bean's repository.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Most likely it doesn't get the frame buffer address right, so screen
>> is written to somewhere else, this also consist with the fact you
>> don't see any console output until x starts.
>>
>> BTW, when you use the linux command, it should show some line about
>> detected video card info, can you paste it here.
>>

> Ok, here is what I get after choosing the linux menu entry. Everything
> before the menu shows up, is to quick to read.
>
> OUTPUT-Start
> Rom image present.
>  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x2784a0]
>  Video mode: 1280x800-32
>  Frame buffer base: 0x80010000
>  Video line length: 8192
> OUTPUT-End
>
> I hope this is the requested info. Do provide other stuff, I probably
> need a detailed instruction.

Hi,

This looks legit for me, I don't know why it does work, perhaps it
write to the other video card ?

> BTW, I cannot switch to terminal from X after starting with Grub2.

Yep, this is normal. EFI uses non zero gart address, but linux assume
0. X would reset gart, but after it exits, the original gart address
is restored and which would cause problem.

--

@ 2009-09-27 18:49                                               ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-09-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

>> OUTPUT-Start
>> Rom image present.
>>  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x2784a0]
>>  Video mode: 1280x800-32
>>  Frame buffer base: 0x80010000
>>  Video line length: 8192
>> OUTPUT-End
>>
>> I hope this is the requested info. Do provide other stuff, I probably
>> need a detailed instruction.
>>

> Hi,
>
> This looks legit for me, I don't know why it does work, perhaps it
> write to the other video card ?

Ohter video card? I have a Macbook, NOT a Macbook Pro. I have only one card!

>> BTW, I cannot switch to terminal from X after starting with Grub2.

> Yep, this is normal. EFI uses non zero gart address, but linux assume
> 0. X would reset gart, but after it exits, the original gart address
> is restored and which would cause problem.

OK, so we know that there is something broken but everything is behaving
 like one would expect in this situation? That sounds relatively optimistic.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-03 19:10                                                 ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi again!

Do we have any news on the gfxterm problem in Grub2-EFI?

greetings,

Stefan

>>> OUTPUT-Start
>>> Rom image present.
>>>  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x2c00, size=0x2784a0]
>>>  Video mode: 1280x800-32
>>>  Frame buffer base: 0x80010000
>>>  Video line length: 8192
>>> OUTPUT-End
>>>
>>> I hope this is the requested info. Do provide other stuff, I probably
>>> need a detailed instruction.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This looks legit for me, I don't know why it does work, perhaps it
>> write to the other video card ?
>
> Ohter video card? I have a Macbook, NOT a Macbook Pro. I have only one card!
>
>>> BTW, I cannot switch to terminal from X after starting with Grub2.
>
>> Yep, this is normal. EFI uses non zero gart address, but linux assume
>> 0. X would reset gart, but after it exits, the original gart address
>> is restored and which would cause problem.
>
> OK, so we know that there is something broken but everything is behaving
>  like one would expect in this situation? That sounds relatively optimistic.
>
> greetings,
>
> Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-03 20:17                                                   ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-03 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> Do we have any news on the gfxterm problem in Grub2-EFI?
>
> greetings,
>
> Stefan

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This looks legit for me, I don't know why it does work, perhaps it
>>> write to the other video card ?
>>
>> Ohter video card? I have a Macbook, NOT a Macbook Pro. I have only one card!

>>> Yep, this is normal. EFI uses non zero gart address, but linux assume
>>> 0. X would reset gart, but after it exits, the original gart address
>>> is restored and which would cause problem.
>>
>> OK, so we know that there is something broken but everything is behaving
>>  like one would expect in this situation? That sounds relatively optimistic.

Hi,

Oh, that could be the double buffer problem, perhaps you can try my
latest graphic menu test demo in the menu branch.

--

@ 2009-10-03 20:55                                                     ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-03 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hi again,

sorry, my git-foo is not that good, can you help me getting into testing
the demo from you menu branch?

I already cloned a copy of your repo, but I do not know how to get into
a particular branch, there.

greetings,

Stefan

@ 2009-10-04  2:58                                                       ` Peter Cros
From: Peter Cros @ 2009-10-04  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

There is a grub.efi binary with the double buffering fix and menutest  from
Bean here on Ubuntuforms.org apple mac subforum thread

grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting post #1054

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8034856&postcount=1054

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> sorry, my git-foo is not that good, can you help me getting into testing
> the demo from you menu branch?
>
> I already cloned a copy of your repo, but I do not know how to get into
> a particular branch, there.
>
> greetings,
>
> Stefan
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Oh, that could be the double buffer problem, perhaps you can try my
> > latest graphic menu test demo in the menu branch.

Cros (pxw)

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-04 14:45                                                         ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-04 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Peter Cros wrote:
> There is a grub.efi binary with the double buffering fix and menutest  from
> Bean here on Ubuntuforms.org apple mac subforum thread
>
> grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting post #1054
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8034856&postcount=1054

OK, I tried that, but only with little success.
I get a very distorted screen on boot. And iThis seems not to depend on
whether I pull in the 'menu' stuff mentiod in the ubuntuforum thread or
not. But at least the system stays in a bootable state and I get a sort
of graphical term ;-)

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-04 14:49                                                           ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-04 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Peter Cros wrote:
>> There is a grub.efi binary with the double buffering fix and menutest  from
>> Bean here on Ubuntuforms.org apple mac subforum thread
>>
>> grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting post #1054
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8034856&postcount=1054
>>

> OK, I tried that, but only with little success.
> I get a very distorted screen on boot. And iThis seems not to depend on
> whether I pull in the 'menu' stuff mentiod in the ubuntuforum thread or
> not. But at least the system stays in a bootable state and I get a sort
> of graphical term ;-)

Hi,

What's your video card, intel or nvidia ?

--

@ 2009-10-04 17:27                                                             ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-04 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Bean wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Stefan Bienert
> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Peter Cros wrote:
>>> There is a grub.efi binary with the double buffering fix and menutest  from
>>> Bean here on Ubuntuforms.org apple mac subforum thread
>>>
>>> grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting post #1054
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8034856&postcount=1054
>>>

>> OK, I tried that, but only with little success.
>> I get a very distorted screen on boot. And iThis seems not to depend on
>> whether I pull in the 'menu' stuff mentiod in the ubuntuforum thread or
>> not. But at least the system stays in a bootable state and I get a sort
>> of graphical term ;-)
>
> Hi,
>
> What's your video card, intel or nvidia ?

Nvidia.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-04 20:10                                                               ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-04 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Bean wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Stefan Bienert
>> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:

>>> OK, I tried that, but only with little success.
>>> I get a very distorted screen on boot. And iThis seems not to depend on
>>> whether I pull in the 'menu' stuff mentiod in the ubuntuforum thread or
>>> not. But at least the system stays in a bootable state and I get a sort
>>> of graphical term ;-)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's your video card, intel or nvidia ?
>>

> Nvidia.

Hi,

I found a small bug that could be the cause, please try the latest
code from menu branch. I also upload the binary file to ubuntu forum
in case you don't want to compile it yourself.

--

@ 2009-10-04 20:43                                                                 ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-04 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What's your video card, intel or nvidia ?
>>>
>> Nvidia.
>
> Hi,
>
> I found a small bug that could be the cause, please try the latest
> code from menu branch. I also upload the binary file to ubuntu forum
> in case you don't want to compile it yourself.

OK, I tried that. (BTW, my clone of your repo only has the master
branch, what could I do about this?)

Now I'm back with my old menu, no fancy graphics and no terminal.
At least the menu is not disturbed any longer.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-05  1:56                                                                   ` Peter Cros
From: Peter Cros @ 2009-10-05  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

$ git pull origin menu

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Stefan Bienert

> >> Nvidia.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a small bug that could be the cause, please try the latest
> > code from menu branch. I also upload the binary file to ubuntu forum
> > in case you don't want to compile it yourself.
> >

> OK, I tried that. (BTW, my clone of your repo only has the master
> branch, what could I do about this?)
>
> Now I'm back with my old menu, no fancy graphics and no terminal.
> At least the menu is not disturbed any longer.
>
> greetings,
>
> Stefan

Cros (pxw)

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-09 17:44                                                                 ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-10-09 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

2009/10/4 Bean <bean123ch@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Stefan Bienert
> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Bean wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What's your video card, intel or nvidia ?
>>>

>> Nvidia.
>
> Hi,
>
> I found a small bug that could be the cause, please try the latest
> code from menu branch. I also upload the binary file to ubuntu forum
> in case you don't want to compile it yourself.

For me gfxterm works on an iMac with Radeon X1600 card but I am not
sure what exact version I was running.

I forgot to load a font so the terminal only displayed question marks
at about 1cps but it certainly did display something.

It says grub 1.97~beta3 but that is somewhat imprecise in this case.

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-09 17:53                                                                   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi again,

thanks for that hint. I will try the new beta-3 next week. More than
busy this weekend.

BTW, what kernel options/ version do I need for gfxterm? Just in case
that's my problem and everybody is searching in the wrong place ;-)

greetings,

Stefan

> For me gfxterm works on an iMac with Radeon X1600 card but I am not
> sure what exact version I was running.
>
> I forgot to load a font so the terminal only displayed question marks
> at about 1cps but it certainly did display something.
>
> It says grub 1.97~beta3 but that is somewhat imprecise in this case.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-09 20:54                                                                     ` Michal Suchanek
From: Michal Suchanek @ 2009-10-09 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

2009/10/9 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
> Hi again,
>
> thanks for that hint. I will try the new beta-3 next week. More than
> busy this weekend.

It's built from the Bean's repo so the version number is somewhat misleading.

I can upload the build somewhere so you can try if it works for you or
not or I can write a build script.

Thanks

Michal

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-09 21:49                                                                       ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-09 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Michal Suchanek wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> thanks for that hint. I will try the new beta-3 next week. More than
>> busy this weekend.
>
> It's built from the Bean's repo so the version number is somewhat misleading.
>
> I can upload the build somewhere so you can try if it works for you or
> not or I can write a build script.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

Well, if I get hold of a binary there is a small chance that I can test
it on the weekend. Hence, an upload would be appreciated ;-)

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-19 20:04                                                                       ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-19 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hi Michal,

sorry to contact you dircetly, but did you upload a binary somewhere? I
accidentially deleted to many emails, so I wasn't sure anymore if you
already posted a link...

kind regards,

Stefan

Michal Suchanek wrote:
> 2009/10/9 Stefan Bienert <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de>:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> thanks for that hint. I will try the new beta-3 next week. More than
>> busy this weekend.
>
> It's built from the Bean's repo so the version number is somewhat misleading.
>
> I can upload the build somewhere so you can try if it works for you or
> not or I can write a build script.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-20  3:31                                                                         ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-20  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> sorry to contact you dircetly, but did you upload a binary somewhere? I
> accidentially deleted to many emails, so I wasn't sure anymore if you
> already posted a link...

Hi,

I have compiled a binary version and uploaded at ubuntu forum:

@ 2009-10-24 10:09                                                                           ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-24 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi again,

> Hi,
>
> I have compiled a binary version and uploaded at ubuntu forum:

So, I've tried that binary: Now the menu, while it is still text based,
takes the whole screen, which is an improvement.

But I still have no output while booting. As far as I understand, this
would be the kernel side of the whole process. Hence, could it be that I
did not configure it in the right way?

greetings,

bienchen

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-24 10:17                                                                             ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-24 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have compiled a binary version and uploaded at ubuntu forum:

> So, I've tried that binary: Now the menu, while it is still text based,
> takes the whole screen, which is an improvement.

Hi,

Is graphic mode working ok in grub ?

> But I still have no output while booting. As far as I understand, this
> would be the kernel side of the whole process. Hence, could it be that I
> did not configure it in the right way?

What's the command line option to boot kernel ? In theory, if graphic
mode is working in grub, it should be ok in linux.

--

@ 2009-10-24 10:30                                                                               ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-24 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Bean wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Stefan Bienert
> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have compiled a binary version and uploaded at ubuntu forum:
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1248647
>> So, I've tried that binary: Now the menu, while it is still text based,
>> takes the whole screen, which is an improvement.
>
> Hi,
>
> Is graphic mode working ok in grub ?

Sorry for this probably dull question: How do I know?

>> But I still have no output while booting. As far as I understand, this
>> would be the kernel side of the whole process. Hence, could it be that I
>> did not configure it in the right way?
>
> What's the command line option to boot kernel ?

linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb noefi
acpi=force

> In theory, if graphic
> mode is working in grub, it should be ok in linux.

Oh, I saw on some web page, that I need soemthing like 'EFI based
framebuffer support' in the kernel.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-24 10:38                                                                                 ` Bean
From: Bean @ 2009-10-24 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> Bean wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Stefan Bienert
>> <bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>>> Hi again,

>>> So, I've tried that binary: Now the menu, while it is still text based,
>>> takes the whole screen, which is an improvement.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is graphic mode working ok in grub ?
>
> Sorry for this probably dull question: How do I know?

Hi,

The easier way is to use my new menu test demo, download resource file at:

http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/menu.zip

Unzip to the boot partition, you should see many files under /menu/ directory.

Then you just need to add this line at the end of grub.cfg:

source /menu/menu_efi.cfg

It'd boot into graphic mode by default, you can use F8 to switch
between text and graphic mode.

>>> But I still have no output while booting. As far as I understand, this
>>> would be the kernel side of the whole process. Hence, could it be that I
>>> did not configure it in the right way?
>>
>> What's the command line option to boot kernel ?
>
> linux /boot/kernel-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-n root=/dev/sda4 video=efifb noefi
> acpi=force
>
>> In theory, if graphic
>> mode is working in grub, it should be ok in linux.
>
> Oh, I saw on some web page, that I need soemthing like 'EFI based
> framebuffer support' in the kernel.

Yep, you need that, debian will enable it by default, I don't know
about gentoo thought.

--

@ 2009-10-24 12:07                                                                                   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-24 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

> Hi,
>
> The easier way is to use my new menu test demo, download resource file at:
>
> http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/menu.zip
>
> Unzip to the boot partition, you should see many files under /menu/ directory.
>
> Then you just need to add this line at the end of grub.cfg:
>
> source /menu/menu_efi.cfg
>
> It'd boot into graphic mode by default, you can use F8 to switch
> between text and graphic mode.

Nope, does not work. I still have text mode.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-24 23:33                                                                                   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

> Hi,
>
> The easier way is to use my new menu test demo, download resource file at:
>
> http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/menu.zip
>
> Unzip to the boot partition, you should see many files under /menu/ directory.
>
> Then you just need to add this line at the end of grub.cfg:
>
> source /menu/menu_efi.cfg
>
> It'd boot into graphic mode by default, you can use F8 to switch
> between text and graphic mode.

Hi bean,

I am such an idiot!

I just placed the menu folder in the wrong directory. Placed it in
/efi/grub on the MacOS partition. Once I've placed the folder on the
whole path from / to /efi/grub and now it's working! Looks great.

I really ope you didn't work on that problem, today.

> Yep, you need that, debian will enable it by default, I don't know
> about gentoo thought.

I have an idea what might be wrong in my gentoo kernel. I hope I find
the time for a little bit of testing, tomorrow.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-25  0:34                                                                                     ` richardvoigt
From: richardvoigt @ 2009-10-25  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

> I have an idea what might be wrong in my gentoo kernel. I hope I find
> the time for a little bit of testing, tomorrow.

Did you compile it yourself (emerge
gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources/hardened-sources then make menuconfig
then make bzImage) or did you use genkernel?

> greetings,
>
> Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-25  0:38                                                                                       ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-25  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

richardvoigt@gmail.com wrote:
>> I have an idea what might be wrong in my gentoo kernel. I hope I find
>> the time for a little bit of testing, tomorrow.
>
> Did you compile it yourself (emerge
> gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources/hardened-sources then make menuconfig
> then make bzImage) or did you use genkernel?

I just used gentoo-ources without any patching by myself.

greetings,

Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-25  0:52                                                                                         ` richardvoigt
From: richardvoigt @ 2009-10-25  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Stefan Bienert
<bienert@zbh.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> richardvoigt@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I have an idea what might be wrong in my gentoo kernel. I hope I find
>>> the time for a little bit of testing, tomorrow.
>>
>> Did you compile it yourself (emerge
>> gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources/hardened-sources then make menuconfig
>> then make bzImage) or did you use genkernel?
>
> I just used gentoo-ources without any patching by myself.

Then you should be able to add EFI display support quite easily during
the "make menuconfig" step

> greetings,
>
> Stefan

* Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
@ 2009-10-25 17:41                                                                                           ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2009-10-25 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

> Then you should be able to add EFI display support quite easily during
> the "make menuconfig" step

A new improvement here!
Besite EFI display stuff, now I have also CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA enabled.
This gives me boot output on booting. but not on shuting down.

So, now I have
- graphical menu
- terminal output on booting

greetings,