* r8169c: Support for Realtek 8168DP chip?
@ 2009-10-01 11:39 Rainer Koenig
From: Rainer Koenig @ 2009-10-01 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi there,

I got several new workstation models  that come with the Realtek 8168DP
chip (8168 with DASH capabilites).
When trying to use this chip with the r8169 driver module I get the
following errors:

localhost kernel: r8169 0000:05:00.0: unknown MAC (2b800600)
localhost kernel: eth0: RTL8169 at 0xffffc2000004c000, 9:65:d3:9f, XID
28800000 IRQ 138
localhost kernel: eth0: PHY reset failed.
localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: TBI auto-negotiating
localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: unknown chipset (mac_version = 1).
localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: link down
localhost kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

The distribution running is RHEL 5.4, but actually that doesn't matter
since I didn't see the necessary code lines even in the latest blob from
git.kernel.org.

The reason why is easy to decode when looking at the source: The
TxConfig register returns 2b800000 and there is no MAC_VERSION in the
list of valid versions. That means not PHY initialization code is
executed and stop, no working device. :-(

The latest OEM download from Realtek
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/RedirectFTPSite.aspx?SiteID=1&DownTypeID=3&DownID=332&PFid=5&Conn=4
compiles and works. Looking at the source of this driver it shows code
for this TxConfig value and it has a special part for the PHY
initialization.

So the questions are:
- Will there be a patch for the 8168DP chip in the r8169 driver soon?
- What is necessary to get a patch?
- Are the maintainers of r8169 talking to the people that do the OEM
  driver or is r8169 just a reverse engineered driver?

Best regards
Rainer
--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
Project Manager Linux Business Clients

Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
86199 Augsburg
Germany

Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig@ts.fujitsu.com

Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html

* Re: r8169c: Support for Realtek 8168DP chip?
@ 2009-10-01 13:38 ` David Dillow
From: David Dillow @ 2009-10-01 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Koenig; +Cc: netdev

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 13:39 +0200, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> The reason why is easy to decode when looking at the source: The
> TxConfig register returns 2b800000 and there is no MAC_VERSION in the
> list of valid versions. That means not PHY initialization code is
> executed and stop, no working device. :-(

Francois Romieu posted a patch yesterday (today, his time) to the thread
"r8169 chips on some Intel D945GSEJT boards fail to work after PXE boot"

It looks to add MAC support for your card; you should be able to find it
at any of your favorite mail archives, Google, or better yet,
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/list/

Hmm, patchwork doesn't seem to have picked it up, yet.

Please test that and let us know how it works.
Dave

* Re: r8169c: Support for Realtek 8168DP chip?
@ 2009-10-01 15:49   ` David Dillow
From: David Dillow @ 2009-10-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Koenig; +Cc: netdev

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 09:38 -0400, David Dillow wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 13:39 +0200, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> > The reason why is easy to decode when looking at the source: The
> > TxConfig register returns 2b800000 and there is no MAC_VERSION in the
> > list of valid versions. That means not PHY initialization code is
> > executed and stop, no working device. :-(
>
> Francois Romieu posted a patch yesterday (today, his time) to the thread
> "r8169 chips on some Intel D945GSEJT boards fail to work after PXE boot"
>
> It looks to add MAC support for your card; you should be able to find it
> at any of your favorite mail archives, Google, or better yet,
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/list/
>
> Hmm, patchwork doesn't seem to have picked it up, yet.

Actually, it is there, you just need to change the filters to show
patches in state "RFC".

* Re: r8169c: Support for Realtek 8168DP chip?
@ 2009-10-01 16:42   ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2009-10-01 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave; +Cc: Rainer.Koenig, netdev

From: David Dillow <dave@thedillows.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:38:30 -0400

> Hmm, patchwork doesn't seem to have picked it up, yet.

It's there, I just marked it in "RFC" state since that's exactly what
that patch is.

The default patchwork page for a project only lists patches that in a
state other than one which means the patch won't be applied in it's
current form.

If you want to see "all patches in all states" click on "filter"
and set it to your needs.