* em28xx mode switching
@ 2009-10-12 22:12 Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-10-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was debugging an issue on a user's hybrid board, when I realized
that we are switching the em28xx mode whenever we start and stop dvb
streaming.  We already have the ts_bus_ctrl callback implemented which
puts the device into digital mode and puts it back into suspend
whenever the frontend is opened/closed.

This call seems redundant, and in fact can cause problems if the
dvb_gpio definition strobes the reset pin, as it can put the driver
out of sync with the demodulator's state (in fact this is what I ran
into with the zl10353 - the reset pin got strobed when the streaming
was started but the demod driver's init() routine was not being run
because it already ran when the frontend was originally opened).

The only case I can think of where toggling the device mode when
starting/stopping dvb streaming might be useful is if we wanted to
support being able to do an analog tune while the dvb frontend was
still open but not streaming.  However, this seems like this could
expose all sorts of bugs, and I think the locking would have to be
significantly reworked if this were a design goal.

Thoughts anybody?

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: em28xx mode switching
@ 2009-10-12 22:31 ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2009-10-12 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/13/2009 01:12 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> I was debugging an issue on a user's hybrid board, when I realized
> that we are switching the em28xx mode whenever we start and stop dvb
> streaming.  We already have the ts_bus_ctrl callback implemented which
> puts the device into digital mode and puts it back into suspend
> whenever the frontend is opened/closed.
>
> This call seems redundant, and in fact can cause problems if the
> dvb_gpio definition strobes the reset pin, as it can put the driver
> out of sync with the demodulator's state (in fact this is what I ran
> into with the zl10353 - the reset pin got strobed when the streaming
> was started but the demod driver's init() routine was not being run
> because it already ran when the frontend was originally opened).
>
> The only case I can think of where toggling the device mode when
> starting/stopping dvb streaming might be useful is if we wanted to
> support being able to do an analog tune while the dvb frontend was
> still open but not streaming.  However, this seems like this could
> expose all sorts of bugs, and I think the locking would have to be
> significantly reworked if this were a design goal.
>
> Thoughts anybody?
>
> Devin

I ran this same trap few weeks ago when adding Reddo DVB-C USB Box
support to em28xx :) Anyhow, since it is dvb only device I decided to
switch from .dvb_gpio to .tuner_gpio to fix the problem. I haven't pull
requested it yet.
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/reddo-dvb-c/rev/38f946af568f

Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: em28xx mode switching
@ 2009-10-12 23:04   ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-10-12 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi> wrote:
> I ran this same trap few weeks ago when adding Reddo DVB-C USB Box support
> to em28xx :) Anyhow, since it is dvb only device I decided to switch from
> .dvb_gpio to .tuner_gpio to fix the problem. I haven't pull requested it
> yet.
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/reddo-dvb-c/rev/38f946af568f
>
> Antti
> --
> http://palosaari.fi/

You were able to get by with using tuner_gpio instead of dvb_gpio
because the Reddo isn't a hybrid device.

I'm going to propose removing the calls to em28xx_set_mode() in
start_streaming() and stop_streaming().  Given the supported boards
that are there, I can regression test:

EM2883_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_850
EM2883_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_950
EM2880_BOARD_PINNACLE_PCTV_HD_PRO
EM2880_BOARD_AMD_ATI_TV_WONDER_HD_600
EM2880_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_900
EM2880_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS

and I cannot regression test:

EM2880_BOARD_KWORLD_DVB_310U (I have a strong suspicion this board is
currently broken anyway)
EM2882_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS (I worked with the authors of this one
and can probably get them to test)
EM2882_BOARD_EVGA_INDTUBE (I worked with the authors of this one and
can probably get them to test)
EM2880_BOARD_EMPIRE_DUAL_TV (I worked with the authors of this one and
can probably get them to test)
EM2881_BOARD_PINNACLE_HYBRID_PRO (this is the board I noticed the problem under)
EM2883_BOARD_KWORLD_HYBRID_330U
EM2870_BOARD_REDDO_DVB_C_USB_BOX

Devin

--

@ 2009-10-12 23:33 ` hermann pitton
From: hermann pitton @ 2009-10-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, den 12.10.2009, 18:12 -0400 schrieb Devin Heitmueller:
> I was debugging an issue on a user's hybrid board, when I realized
> that we are switching the em28xx mode whenever we start and stop dvb
> streaming.  We already have the ts_bus_ctrl callback implemented which
> puts the device into digital mode and puts it back into suspend
> whenever the frontend is opened/closed.
>
> This call seems redundant, and in fact can cause problems if the
> dvb_gpio definition strobes the reset pin, as it can put the driver
> out of sync with the demodulator's state (in fact this is what I ran
> into with the zl10353 - the reset pin got strobed when the streaming
> was started but the demod driver's init() routine was not being run
> because it already ran when the frontend was originally opened).
>
> The only case I can think of where toggling the device mode when
> starting/stopping dvb streaming might be useful is if we wanted to
> support being able to do an analog tune while the dvb frontend was
> still open but not streaming.  However, this seems like this could
> expose all sorts of bugs, and I think the locking would have to be
> significantly reworked if this were a design goal.
>
> Thoughts anybody?
>
> Devin

Hi,

on dvb were some telling us previously, by far not all, but the loudest,
all the hybrid stuff will soon vanish and it is not even worth to look
closer into it.

This is years back, and the problem is still there.

But, these days you can discuss it more relaxed and despite of all, we
have lots of improvements now.

See Mike's latest compromising about who has the gpio pins.

Even only thinking about such in public

was a crime previously ... (and heavily punished ;)

Cheers,
Hermann

* Re: em28xx mode switching
@ 2009-10-13  7:55     ` Alain Perrot
From: Alain Perrot @ 2009-10-13  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller@kernellabs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi> wrote:
>> I ran this same trap few weeks ago when adding Reddo DVB-C USB Box support
>> to em28xx :) Anyhow, since it is dvb only device I decided to switch from
>> .dvb_gpio to .tuner_gpio to fix the problem. I haven't pull requested it
>> yet.
>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/reddo-dvb-c/rev/38f946af568f
>>
>> Antti
>> --
>> http://palosaari.fi/
>
> You were able to get by with using tuner_gpio instead of dvb_gpio
> because the Reddo isn't a hybrid device.
>
> I'm going to propose removing the calls to em28xx_set_mode() in
> start_streaming() and stop_streaming().  Given the supported boards
> that are there, I can regression test:
>
> EM2883_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_850
> EM2883_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_950
> EM2880_BOARD_PINNACLE_PCTV_HD_PRO
> EM2880_BOARD_AMD_ATI_TV_WONDER_HD_600
> EM2880_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_900
> EM2880_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS
>
> and I cannot regression test:
>
> EM2880_BOARD_KWORLD_DVB_310U (I have a strong suspicion this board is
> currently broken anyway)
> EM2882_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS (I worked with the authors of this one
> and can probably get them to test)
> EM2882_BOARD_EVGA_INDTUBE (I worked with the authors of this one and
> can probably get them to test)
> EM2880_BOARD_EMPIRE_DUAL_TV (I worked with the authors of this one and
> can probably get them to test)
> EM2881_BOARD_PINNACLE_HYBRID_PRO (this is the board I noticed the problem under)

I own a Dazzle Hybrid Stick (2881:eb1a IIRC) which I believe use the
same hardware as the
Pinnacle Hybrid Pro. I can test it with DVB-T, but only on the weekend
(I have only access to
DVB-C during the week).

--
Alain Perrot

* Re: em28xx mode switching
@ 2009-10-13 18:27     ` xwang1976
From: xwang1976 @ 2009-10-13 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Devin,
let me know if you need a tester for the EMPIRE_DUAL_TV.
In case I will install the latest v4l driver on my old notebook which
has a clean kubuntu 9.04 distro. On the newer notebook I'm using my new
Dikom DK-300 device which does not work with the latest v4l drivers and
which I can use using a patched version of the main v4l driver (thanks
to Dainius Ridzevicius). If you have some spare time for this device too...
Xwang

Devin Heitmueller ha scritto:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi> wrote:
>> I ran this same trap few weeks ago when adding Reddo DVB-C USB Box support
>> to em28xx :) Anyhow, since it is dvb only device I decided to switch from
>> .dvb_gpio to .tuner_gpio to fix the problem. I haven't pull requested it
>> yet.
>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/reddo-dvb-c/rev/38f946af568f
>>
>> Antti
>> --
>> http://palosaari.fi/
>
> You were able to get by with using tuner_gpio instead of dvb_gpio
> because the Reddo isn't a hybrid device.
>
> I'm going to propose removing the calls to em28xx_set_mode() in
> start_streaming() and stop_streaming().  Given the supported boards
> that are there, I can regression test:
>
> EM2883_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_850
> EM2883_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_950
> EM2880_BOARD_PINNACLE_PCTV_HD_PRO
> EM2880_BOARD_AMD_ATI_TV_WONDER_HD_600
> EM2880_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_WINTV_HVR_900
> EM2880_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS
>
> and I cannot regression test:
>
> EM2880_BOARD_KWORLD_DVB_310U (I have a strong suspicion this board is
> currently broken anyway)
> EM2882_BOARD_TERRATEC_HYBRID_XS (I worked with the authors of this one
> and can probably get them to test)
> EM2882_BOARD_EVGA_INDTUBE (I worked with the authors of this one and
> can probably get them to test)
> EM2880_BOARD_EMPIRE_DUAL_TV (I worked with the authors of this one and
> can probably get them to test)
> EM2881_BOARD_PINNACLE_HYBRID_PRO (this is the board I noticed the problem under)
> EM2883_BOARD_KWORLD_HYBRID_330U
> EM2870_BOARD_REDDO_DVB_C_USB_BOX
>
> Devin

* Re: em28xx mode switching
@ 2009-10-13 18:33       ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2009-10-13 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM,  <xwang1976@email.it> wrote:
> Hi Devin,
> let me know if you need a tester for the EMPIRE_DUAL_TV.
> In case I will install the latest v4l driver on my old notebook which has a
> clean kubuntu 9.04 distro. On the newer notebook I'm using my new Dikom
> DK-300 device which does not work with the latest v4l drivers and which I
> can use using a patched version of the main v4l driver (thanks to Dainius
> Ridzevicius). If you have some spare time for this device too...
> Xwang

Hi xwang,

Well, I'm hoping to setup a tree sometime this week (and test it with
my devices).  Assuming it works, I will put out a call for testers
such as yourself.

Regarding your DK-300, if you send the diff between the main v4l
driver and the patched version, we can take a look at what would be
required to merge it upstream.

Cheers,

Devin

--

@ 2009-10-13 18:52         ` xwang1976
From: xwang1976 @ 2009-10-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok!
As far as the DIKOM DK-300 patch, it enables the digital tv, but analog
tv still has some problem (no audio and maybe kernel oops when tuning
channels).
As soon as possible (probably next weekend) I will try to search diff
between patched and original version. Meantime I attach the tar file
Dainius sent me two months ago (I have used the included files to
overwite the ones in /v4l-dvb/linux/drivers/media/video/em28xx).
Thank you again for your help,
Xwang

Devin Heitmueller ha scritto:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM,  <xwang1976@email.it> wrote:
>> Hi Devin,
>> let me know if you need a tester for the EMPIRE_DUAL_TV.
>> In case I will install the latest v4l driver on my old notebook which has a
>> clean kubuntu 9.04 distro. On the newer notebook I'm using my new Dikom
>> DK-300 device which does not work with the latest v4l drivers and which I
>> can use using a patched version of the main v4l driver (thanks to Dainius
>> Ridzevicius). If you have some spare time for this device too...
>> Xwang
>
> Hi xwang,
>
> Well, I'm hoping to setup a tree sometime this week (and test it with
> my devices).  Assuming it works, I will put out a call for testers
> such as yourself.
>
> Regarding your DK-300, if you send the diff between the main v4l
> driver and the patched version, we can take a look at what would be
> required to merge it upstream.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Devin

[-- Attachment #2: em28xx.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/gzip, Size: 76594 bytes --]

* Dikom DK-300
@ 2009-10-24 22:01         ` xwang1976
From: xwang1976 @ 2009-10-24 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)