* [dm-crypt] encrypt root file system on centos
@ 2009-11-02  2:15 Hans Hallan
From: Hans Hallan @ 2009-11-02  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Dear all,

I have tried several manuals that describe about how to encrypt root file
system, but

They were all failure.

Could you please give me some clue / manual on how to encrypt root file
system using cryptsetup on centos ?

Thank you so much for your help. I really need your help as I have tried for
two weeks and I have got nothing.

Thank you so much

Regards,

Hans Hallan

* Re: [dm-crypt] encrypt root file system on centos
@ 2009-11-02  8:17 ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2009-11-02  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hallan; +Cc: dm-crypt

On 11/02/2009 03:15 AM, Hans Hallan wrote:
> I have tried several manuals that describe about how to encrypt root
> file system, but
>
> They were all failure.
>
> Could you please give me some clue / manual on how to encrypt root file
> system using cryptsetup on centos ?

The support for encrypted PV (LVM over LUKS) was added to installer
(anaconda) in RHEL 5.3, so I suggest you to download
CentOS 5.4 installation and try do completely new installation.
(Basically just check "encrypt system" in the disk selection dialog.)

Then check the setup, you cal also reuse existing disk layout
(e.g. if you want use different alignment or cipher - unfortunately
anaconda uses default values.)

Old manuals for <5.3 are too complicated for starters.

Milan

* Re: [dm-crypt] encrypt root file system on centos
       [not found] <-7175692222496058127@unknownmsgid>
@ 2009-11-02  8:07 ` Ian McDonald
From: Ian McDonald @ 2009-11-02  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Hans Hallan <hans.hallan@larantuka.com> wrote:
> I have tried several manuals that describe about how to encrypt root file
> system, but they were all failure.

Which manuals and howtos have you tried already?

> Could you please give me some clue / manual on how to encrypt root file
> system using cryptsetup on centos ?

As you are not very specific about the requirements and details of your setup,
the CentOS version you use, and the level of experience you have, this is the
only thing I can come up with:
http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2008/05/encrypting-linux-root-partition-with.html

I am unfamiliar with both RHEL and CentOS, so this is all I can give you as
advice.  Maybe someone else here will provide you with more.  If not, I
suggest the CentOS forum as another place to look for help:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/

Please keep in mind that encrypting the root filesystem is difficult to do
correctly.  If you have little experience using the dm-crypt infrastructure
for this purpose I recommend you practice on a test system until you really,
really know what you are doing.  And, of course, make backups regularly.

Regards,
Ian.