* [Xenomai-help] Two real time NICs in same PC? (RTnet)
@ 2009-11-01 12:49 Benjamin Biegel
From: Benjamin Biegel @ 2009-11-01 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

I have only found documentation about the possibility to run a
non-RT-NIC and a RT-NIC at the same time, which is possible.

But is it possible on the same PC to have:
- One NIC being master or slave in an RTnet network
- One other NIC capturing frames with RTcap
?

(The whole point is to have a network of PCs running RTnet, so that
their clocks are synchronized. Then have these same PCs capture frames
via RTcap. In this way the captured timestamps can be compared and
Ethernet  frame travel times can be calculated.)

Thanks :)

Benjamin

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Two real time NICs in same PC? (RTnet)
@ 2009-11-02  7:55 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2009-11-02  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Biegel; +Cc: xenomai

Benjamin Biegel wrote:
> I have only found documentation about the possibility to run a
> non-RT-NIC and a RT-NIC at the same time, which is possible.
>
> But is it possible on the same PC to have:
> - One NIC being master or slave in an RTnet network
> - One other NIC capturing frames with RTcap
> ?

Yes, this is possible. It is even the default if you use RTnet's startup
script and config (only one NIC is configured, and if there are two NICs
of the same type, only the first one is claimed by RTnet).

> (The whole point is to have a network of PCs running RTnet, so that
> their clocks are synchronized. Then have these same PCs capture frames
> via RTcap. In this way the captured timestamps can be compared and
> Ethernet  frame travel times can be calculated.)

Note that the measurement jitter /may/ still be in the same order of
your travel delays.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Two real time NICs in same PC? (RTnet)
@ 2009-11-02 16:51   ` Benjamin Biegel
From: Benjamin Biegel @ 2009-11-02 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Two real time NICs in same PC? (RTnet)
@ 2009-11-03  8:32     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2009-11-03  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Biegel; +Cc: xenomai