* A question about touchscreen absmax value
@ 2009-11-16  1:53 Joonyoung Shim
From: Joonyoung Shim @ 2009-11-16  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-input

Hi, all.

I have a question about touchscreen resolution. My touchscreen device
can report the position from 0 to 1023 of x and y coordinates, so i
setted the absmax of input device to 1023. BTW, i only can get from 0 to
479 x position and to 799 y position because the LCD resolution of the
target is 480 x 800. I wonder which value is setted to the absmax - 479
and 799 or 1023.

* Re: A question about touchscreen absmax value
@ 2009-11-16 17:12 ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2009-11-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joonyoung Shim; +Cc: linux-input

Hi Joonyoung,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:53:18AM +0900, Joonyoung Shim wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have a question about touchscreen resolution. My touchscreen device
> can report the position from 0 to 1023 of x and y coordinates, so i
> setted the absmax of input device to 1023. BTW, i only can get from 0 to
> 479 x position and to 799 y position because the LCD resolution of the
> target is 480 x 800. I wonder which value is setted to the absmax - 479
> and 799 or 1023.

I believe driver should, by default, set absmin and absmax to match the
limits of the hardware/protocol. In your case it would be 1023. The
driver may choose to accept additional infromation from platform data, if
present, you can also adjust absmin/absmax etc via ioctl durng the
bootup sequence.

Hope this helps.

--
Dmitry

* Re: A question about touchscreen absmax value
@ 2009-11-17  3:00   ` Joonyoung Shim
From: Joonyoung Shim @ 2009-11-17  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

On 11/17/2009 2:12 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Joonyoung,
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:53:18AM +0900, Joonyoung Shim wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I have a question about touchscreen resolution. My touchscreen device
>> can report the position from 0 to 1023 of x and y coordinates, so i
>> setted the absmax of input device to 1023. BTW, i only can get from 0 to
>> 479 x position and to 799 y position because the LCD resolution of the
>> target is 480 x 800. I wonder which value is setted to the absmax - 479
>> and 799 or 1023.
>
> I believe driver should, by default, set absmin and absmax to match the
> limits of the hardware/protocol. In your case it would be 1023. The
> driver may choose to accept additional infromation from platform data, if
> present, you can also adjust absmin/absmax etc via ioctl durng the
> bootup sequence.

Hmm, i get the resolution information from platform data, so i can
set absmax values from platform data. Is it ok?

Thanks for reply.

* Re: A question about touchscreen absmax value
@ 2009-11-17  5:48     ` Dmitry Torokhov
From: Dmitry Torokhov @ 2009-11-17  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joonyoung Shim; +Cc: linux-input

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:00:08PM +0900, Joonyoung Shim wrote:
> On 11/17/2009 2:12 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Hi Joonyoung,
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:53:18AM +0900, Joonyoung Shim wrote:
> >> Hi, all.
> >>
> >> I have a question about touchscreen resolution. My touchscreen device
> >> can report the position from 0 to 1023 of x and y coordinates, so i
> >> setted the absmax of input device to 1023. BTW, i only can get from 0 to
> >> 479 x position and to 799 y position because the LCD resolution of the
> >> target is 480 x 800. I wonder which value is setted to the absmax - 479
> >> and 799 or 1023.
> >
> > I believe driver should, by default, set absmin and absmax to match the
> > limits of the hardware/protocol. In your case it would be 1023. The
> > driver may choose to accept additional infromation from platform data, if
> > present, you can also adjust absmin/absmax etc via ioctl durng the
> > bootup sequence.
>
> Hmm, i get the resolution information from platform data, so i can
> set absmax values from platform data. Is it ok?

Sure, if there is only one possible configuration for the device on a
given platform - yes.

--
Dmitry

* Re: A question about touchscreen absmax value
@ 2009-11-17  6:18       ` Joonyoung Shim
From: Joonyoung Shim @ 2009-11-17  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Torokhov; +Cc: linux-input

On 11/17/2009 2:48 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:00:08PM +0900, Joonyoung Shim wrote:
>> On 11/17/2009 2:12 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>>> Hi Joonyoung,

>>> I believe driver should, by default, set absmin and absmax to match the
>>> limits of the hardware/protocol. In your case it would be 1023. The
>>> driver may choose to accept additional infromation from platform data, if
>>> present, you can also adjust absmin/absmax etc via ioctl durng the
>>> bootup sequence.
>> Hmm, i get the resolution information from platform data, so i can
>> set absmax values from platform data. Is it ok?
>>

> Sure, if there is only one possible configuration for the device on a
> given platform - yes.

OK, it is helpful me.

Thanks.