* bash completion on 4.0 broken?
@ 2009-11-17  6:46 Stephen Boyd
From: Stephen Boyd @ 2009-11-17  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Shawn O. Pearce

When I try

    git show --pretty=<TAB><TAB>

I get a list of filenames and not the list of pretty formats.

I've debugged a little and see that the cur variable in _git_show () is
set to '=' when it should be '--pretty='. So it looks like something is
causing the command line to be split weirdly. Looking at the bash
NEWS[1] for 4.0 I see

i.  The programmable completion code now uses the same set of characters as
    readline when breaking the command line into a list of words.

which causes me to believe this is why it's broken now. I've tried
removing '=' from COMP_WORDBREAKS and that shows the list of formats
correctly, but then causes the entire '--pretty=' to be replaced with
the selected format.

Anyone else seeing the same problem or is my system just b0rked?

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.0.35(2)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

* Re: bash completion on 4.0 broken?
@ 2009-11-17  9:54 ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2009-11-17  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Boyd; +Cc: git, Shawn O. Pearce

Stephen Boyd venit, vidit, dixit 17.11.2009 07:46:
> When I try
>
>     git show --pretty=<TAB><TAB>
>
> I get a list of filenames and not the list of pretty formats.
>
> I've debugged a little and see that the cur variable in _git_show () is
> set to '=' when it should be '--pretty='. So it looks like something is
> causing the command line to be split weirdly. Looking at the bash
> NEWS[1] for 4.0 I see
>
> i.  The programmable completion code now uses the same set of characters as
>     readline when breaking the command line into a list of words.
>

> which causes me to believe this is why it's broken now. I've tried
> removing '=' from COMP_WORDBREAKS and that shows the list of formats
> correctly, but then causes the entire '--pretty=' to be replaced with
> the selected format.
>
> Anyone else seeing the same problem or is my system just b0rked?
>
> $ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.0.35(2)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

Ouch, just when I decided to use completion rather than a bunch of
aliases it stops working. B0rked here 0ls0 on Fedora 12 (with git.git's
next):

GNU bash, Version 4.0.33(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)

Command name completion and prompt magic do work.

Michael