* [Qemu-devel] Networking hangs
@ 2009-11-19 22:48 Christoffer Dall
From: Christoffer Dall @ 2009-11-19 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi.

I am experiencing problems with bridged networking to ARM guests. I have
experimented with various kernel versions, distributions and host
machines and I experience the problem in all cases.

When I copy files into the guest using SCP, after an undeterministic
number of megabytes have been copied, the network crashes. At this point
not even pings to localhost works inside the guest.

I am using v0.11.0, emulating a versatilepb board with an arm1136-r2 cpu
and using the following parameter for networking when running the system
emulator:

-net nic,vlan=0 -net
tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap0,script=$(QEMUIFUP),downscript=$(QEMUIFDOWN)

QEMUIFUP:
ifconfig tap0 192.168.7.1

QEMUIFDOWN:
ifconfig tap0 down

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Christoffer Dall

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking hangs
@ 2009-11-20 18:41 ` Scott Tsai
From: Scott Tsai @ 2009-11-20 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Dall; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Christoffer Dall <cdall@vmware.com> wrote:
> When I copy files into the guest using SCP, after an undeterministic number
> of megabytes have been copied, the network crashes. At this point not even
> pings to localhost works inside the guest.

I cannot reproduce this with v0.11.0 emulating an ARM versatilepb
machine running the dropbear SSH server.

If you would upload your kernel, rootfs and a script to invoke qemu
somewhere I could try and take a look.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking hangs
@ 2009-11-20 20:19   ` Christoffer Dall
From: Christoffer Dall @ 2009-11-20 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Tsai; +Cc: qemu-devel

Thanks for responding. I have made a tar file available with the scripts
and images and qemu binary to run my setup:
http://www.chazy.dk/downloads/qemu-network-test.tar.gz

To produce the error I simply do:
# scp <SOME FILE> root@192.168.7.2:/root/.

The file is approx. 32M large and the network usually crashes around
17-21 mb of transfer.

The kernel is a stock 2.6.29 with the simple patch to allow versatile
arm1136 configuration - the patch is included in the tar for reference.

@ 2009-11-20 23:29 ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2009-11-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Dall; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 05:48:02PM -0500, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am experiencing problems with bridged networking to ARM guests. I have
> experimented with various kernel versions, distributions and host
> machines and I experience the problem in all cases.
>
> When I copy files into the guest using SCP, after an undeterministic
> number of megabytes have been copied, the network crashes. At this point
> not even pings to localhost works inside the guest.
>
> I am using v0.11.0, emulating a versatilepb board with an arm1136-r2 cpu

Have you tried to use the stable-0.11 branch (that will become 0.11.1 at
some point) instead? It has some ARM and network related fixes.

See http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/qemu.git/log/?h=stable-0.11

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking hangs
@ 2009-11-20 23:44   ` Scott Tsai
From: Scott Tsai @ 2009-11-20 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Jarno; +Cc: Christoffer Dall, qemu-devel

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 05:48:02PM -0500, Christoffer Dall wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am experiencing problems with bridged networking to ARM guests. I have
>> experimented with various kernel versions, distributions and host
>> machines and I experience the problem in all cases.
>>
>> When I copy files into the guest using SCP, after an undeterministic
>> number of megabytes have been copied, the network crashes. At this point
>> not even pings to localhost works inside the guest.
>>
>> I am using v0.11.0, emulating a versatilepb board with an arm1136-r2 cpu
>
> Have you tried to use the stable-0.11 branch (that will become 0.11.1 at
> some point) instead? It has some ARM and network related fixes.

Using the files that Christoffer uploaded, I can reproduce this bug
even on stable-0.11.
(i.e. using scp to copy a large file seems to "hang" the network stack
in the guest to the point that even "ping 127.0.0.1" fails)

The interesting part about this bug is that Christoffer patched the
Linux kernel to allow using an ARMv6 CPU on the versatilepb board.
I've verified that by changing the emulated cpu from arm1136-r2 to
arm926 and building a kernel for the arm926 this bug no longer
happens.

I'm not familiar enough with the ARM architecture to explain why the
versatilepb board would have such "reliability problems" with
arm1136-r2 CPU right away.
I was about to try emulating a arm1136-r2 CPU on a realview board.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Networking hangs
@ 2009-12-04  0:55     ` Christoffer Dall
From: Christoffer Dall @ 2009-12-04  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Tsai; +Cc: qemu-devel, Aurelien Jarno

Hi there.

I tried to verify if the bug existed with Realview, but I just can't get
the guest to mount an sd-card, which I created with qemu-img and copied
a roots onto there and the guest kernel cannot be configured with
PCI/SCSI support for the ext2 image.

Do you have any ideas on how to proceed with either the realview stuff
to see if that's the problem or with the networking issue?

Thanks!

Best,
Christoffer

@ 2009-12-16  3:09       ` Scott Tsai
From: Scott Tsai @ 2009-12-16  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoffer Dall; +Cc: qemu-devel, Aurelien Jarno

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Christoffer Dall <cdall@vmware.com> wrote:
> I tried to verify if the bug existed with Realview, but I just can't get the
> guest to mount an sd-card, which I created with qemu-img and copied a roots
> onto there and the guest kernel cannot be configured with PCI/SCSI support
> for the ext2 image.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how to proceed with either the realview stuff to
> see if that's the problem or with the networking issue?

I did a quick linux kernel hack to support the versatile_pci
compatible PCI controller for realview-eb boards.
Using the new stable-0.12 branch of qemu and the new 'realview-eb'
machine type, scp'ing large files into qemu no longer hangs the
network on ARMv6 CPUs.

kernel patch (trivial but ugly):
http://gitorious.org/scottt/linux-arm/commits/realview-eb-qemu
realview-eb-qemu branch

kernel config:
http://scottt.tw/bug/qemu-network-hang/realview-eb-qemu_defconfig

prebuilt kernel zImage:
http://scottt.tw/bug/qemu-network-hang/zImage-2.6.32-realview-eb-qemu-v6

script to launch qemu:
http://scottt.tw/bug/qemu-network-hang/launch-qemu

I used the same rootfs.ext2 image that you uploaded.
Sorry for the late reply, other priorities intruded.