* Breakage due to commit c1699988 ("v3: don't call reset functions on cpu initialization")
@ 2009-11-22 14:42 Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa, KVM list

A qemu-kvm which merges this commit breaks badly (see qemu-kvm.git next
branch).  In the commit log for this commit, you write

     I tested it with qemu (with and without io-thread) and qemu-kvm, and it
     seems to be doing okay - although qemu-kvm uses a slightly
different patch.

Can you share the slightly different patch (against 'next') please?

* Re: Breakage due to commit c1699988 ("v3: don't call reset functions on cpu initialization")
@ 2009-11-23 19:00 ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-11-23 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: KVM list

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 04:42:12PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> A qemu-kvm which merges this commit breaks badly (see qemu-kvm.git next
> branch).  In the commit log for this commit, you write
>
>     I tested it with qemu (with and without io-thread) and qemu-kvm, and it
>     seems to be doing okay - although qemu-kvm uses a slightly different
> patch.
>
> Can you share the slightly different patch (against 'next') please?
Sorry, I don't follow. You said you tested it and it works, so what exactly
do we need from me here?

* Re: Breakage due to commit c1699988 ("v3: don't call reset functions on cpu initialization")
@ 2009-11-23 21:07   ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-11-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: Avi Kivity, KVM list

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Glauber Costa <glommer@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 04:42:12PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
>> A qemu-kvm which merges this commit breaks badly (see qemu-kvm.git next
>> branch).  In the commit log for this commit, you write
>>
>>     I tested it with qemu (with and without io-thread) and qemu-kvm, and it
>>     seems to be doing okay - although qemu-kvm uses a slightly different
>> patch.
>>
>> Can you share the slightly different patch (against 'next') please?
> Sorry, I don't follow. You said you tested it and it works, so what exactly
> do we need from me here?
FYI: Combining that patch with a later fix from Juan fix the issue for qemu-kvm.
(504c2948)
Also, the patch seems to apply fine ontop of next.

I can send a combined version if you want, or you can combine it yourself

--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."

* Re: Breakage due to commit c1699988 ("v3: don't call reset functions on cpu initialization")
@ 2009-11-24 10:00   ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-24 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: KVM list

On 11/23/2009 09:00 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 04:42:12PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> A qemu-kvm which merges this commit breaks badly (see qemu-kvm.git next
>> branch).  In the commit log for this commit, you write

"you" = Glauber Costa

>>      I tested it with qemu (with and without io-thread) and qemu-kvm, and it
>>      seems to be doing okay - although qemu-kvm uses a slightly different
>> patch.
>>
>> Can you share the slightly different patch (against 'next') please?
>>
> Sorry, I don't follow. You said you tested it and it works, so what exactly
> do we need from me here?

No.  _You_ tested it and it worked for you.  qemu-kvm next fails badly
(doesn't even run the bios).  I need help from you in finding out why
and fixing it.

* Re: Breakage due to commit c1699988 ("v3: don't call reset functions on cpu initialization")
@ 2009-11-24 10:01     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: Glauber Costa, KVM list

On 11/23/2009 11:07 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Glauber Costa<glommer@redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 04:42:12PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>>> A qemu-kvm which merges this commit breaks badly (see qemu-kvm.git next
>>> branch).  In the commit log for this commit, you write
>>>
>>>      I tested it with qemu (with and without io-thread) and qemu-kvm, and it
>>>      seems to be doing okay - although qemu-kvm uses a slightly different
>>> patch.
>>>
>>> Can you share the slightly different patch (against 'next') please?
>>>
>> Sorry, I don't follow. You said you tested it and it works, so what exactly
>> do we need from me here?
>>
> FYI: Combining that patch with a later fix from Juan fix the issue for qemu-kvm.
> (504c2948)
> Also, the patch seems to apply fine ontop of next.
>
> I can send a combined version if you want, or you can combine it yourself

That commit is already merged.

* Re: Breakage due to commit c1699988 ("v3: don't call reset functions on cpu initialization")
@ 2009-11-24 12:16       ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-11-24 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Glauber Costa, KVM list

>> FYI: Combining that patch with a later fix from Juan fix the issue for
>> qemu-kvm.
>> (504c2948)
>> Also, the patch seems to apply fine ontop of next.
>>
>> I can send a combined version if you want, or you can combine it yourself
>>

> That commit is already merged.

Applying it ontop of 5d968c942adbc48188dbbcf7d85e69c2e0d7cd8a, which is your
merge commit that includes my patch, make qemu-kvm go from non-working to
working again. So the problem must be something else.

--

@ 2009-11-24 12:50         ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: Glauber Costa, KVM list

On 11/24/2009 02:16 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:

>> That commit is already merged.
>>

> Applying it ontop of 5d968c942adbc48188dbbcf7d85e69c2e0d7cd8a, which is your
> merge commit that includes my patch, make qemu-kvm go from non-working to
> working again. So the problem must be something else.

It is my misport of Jan's irq bitmap refactoring (init/reset was not
ported); pretty easy to fix.