* dbus error when running menuconfig in konsole
@ 2009-12-15 22:17 John Faith
From: John Faith @ 2009-12-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,
I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:

KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
"/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
protocol specified
| Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."

Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
that runs fine in the new window.

Any ideas on how to debug this further?

Thanks,
John

* Re: dbus error when running menuconfig in konsole
@ 2009-12-15 22:34 ` Chris Conroy
From: Chris Conroy @ 2009-12-15 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 14:17 -0800, John Faith wrote:
> Hello,
> I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
> kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
> from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
> gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:
>
> KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
> "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
> protocol specified
> | Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."
>
> Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
> and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
> menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
> KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
> that runs fine in the new window.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I just happened to be fighting dbus issues (unrelated to OE) for the
past day or so.

DBus has an odd dependency (IMHO) on X11, and it uses X11 to figure out
what the current running dbus session is.

If you run 'dbus-launch --auto-syntax', it should output some export
statements. If you run those in your shell and then run your dbus aware
application, it should be able to connect to that bus.

Though, I have no clue why make menuconfig on the kernel would trigger
anything even close to dbus related, but perhaps the above info is
helpful to you since it took me a while to track it down. It appears
there aren't a ton of people running dbus in a sans-X11 environment...

--Chris

* Re: dbus error when running menuconfig in konsole
@ 2009-12-15 22:47   ` John Faith
From: John Faith @ 2009-12-15 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Chris Conroy wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 14:17 -0800, John Faith wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
>> kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
>> from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
>> gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:
>>
>> KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
>> "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
>> protocol specified
>> | Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."
>>
>> Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
>> and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
>> menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
>> KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
>> that runs fine in the new window.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>

> I just happened to be fighting dbus issues (unrelated to OE) for the
> past day or so.
>
> DBus has an odd dependency (IMHO) on X11, and it uses X11 to figure out
> what the current running dbus session is.
>
> If you run 'dbus-launch --auto-syntax', it should output some export
> statements. If you run those in your shell and then run your dbus aware
> application, it should be able to connect to that bus.
>
> Though, I have no clue why make menuconfig on the kernel would trigger
> anything even close to dbus related, but perhaps the above info is
> helpful to you since it took me a while to track it down. It appears
> there aren't a ton of people running dbus in a sans-X11 environment...
>
> --Chris

Hi Chris,
I did try setting env values from dbus-launch, but it didn't seem to
help.  I wonder if when konsole is run from bitbake, something d-bus
related is missing from the environment?  As a workaround I ended up
just running 'CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- make menuconfig' in
an already-running konsole, then doing the compilation through bitbake,
which worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestion!
,

@ 2009-12-15 23:42 ` Peter Gsellmann
From: Peter Gsellmann @ 2009-12-15 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 14:17 -0800 schrieb John Faith:
> Hello,
> I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
> kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
> from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
> gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:
>
> KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
> "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
> protocol specified
> | Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."
>
> Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
> and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
> menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
> KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
> that runs fine in the new window.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this further?

If kubuntu 9.10 uses KDE4, you are out of luck. Konsole in KDE4 is
horribly broken. There are numerous Bugtracker entries about.
For example, it doesnt inherit the $PWD from the starting process but
gets it from the konsole-settings! So the flash you see is the message
from make: 'no makefile found.  Stop.' ~ and bye.
The process you start gets not child nor grand-child of the starting
bitbake-process, but of a central 'konsole'-process

Use xterm instead. Works for me.

* Re: dbus error when running menuconfig in konsole
@ 2009-12-16  1:41   ` John Faith
From: John Faith @ 2009-12-16  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Peter Gsellmann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2009, 14:17 -0800 schrieb John Faith:
>
>> Hello,
>> I just moved my oe development tree from an old gnome setup to a new
>> kde/kubuntu 9.10 machine.  After doing things like changing sh symlink
>> from dash to bash, and changing TERMCMD in bitbake.conf to konsole from
>> gnome-terminal, when I try 'bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel' I get:
>>
>> KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:
>> "/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No
>> protocol specified
>> | Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed."
>>
>> Doing 'xhost +local:' before bitbake gets me a brief flash of konsole,
>> and I am able to run menuconfig in a running konsole, but still no
>> menuconfig in the new konsole window.  As an experiment, I changed the
>> KONSOLE_TERMCMDRUN in bitbake.conf to '${KONSOLE_TERMCMD} -e vi' and
>> that runs fine in the new window.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>>

> If kubuntu 9.10 uses KDE4, you are out of luck. Konsole in KDE4 is
> horribly broken. There are numerous Bugtracker entries about.
> For example, it doesnt inherit the $PWD from the starting process but
> gets it from the konsole-settings! So the flash you see is the message
> from make: 'no makefile found.  Stop.' ~ and bye.
> The process you start gets not child nor grand-child of the starting
> bitbake-process, but of a central 'konsole'-process
>
> Use xterm instead. Works for me.

Hi Peter,
Yes, this is KDE4, so I'll skip konsole.  xterm seems to work fine.

Thanks!

,
John