* [Buildroot]  RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-09 19:20 NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why I am getting this
error:

Sending DHCP requests ., OK

IP-Config: Got DHCP answer from 0.0.0.0, my address is 10.49.211.5

IP-Config: Complete:

     device=eth0, addr=10.49.211.5, mask=255.255.240.0,
gw=10.49.223.254,

     host=10.49.211.5, domain=appsig.com, nis-domain=appsig.com,

     bootserver=0.0.0.0, rootserver=0.0.0.0, rootpath=

Freeing unused kernel memory: 932k init

Initializing random number generator... done.

Starting network...

ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

And then it hangs.  I looked through the inittab -> rcS -> S40network to
find that it is coming from the ifup call (on the loopback interface?).

I have seen some stuff that "explains" the problem, but I am still at a
loss.

Any insight or help would be great!

:: Ryan Neal

Office: 490/279

Phone: 408.774.2747

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-09 20:04 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-12-09 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 Ryan> Starting network...

 Ryan> ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

  Ryan> And then it hangs.  I looked through the inittab -> rcS -> S40network to find
 Ryan> that it is coming from the ifup call (on the loopback interface?).

How does your /etc/network/interfaces file look? Do you have an entry
for eth0?

From the above I assume you're booting from NFS? Reconfiguring eth0
while you're trying to read from NFS isn't a good thing.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-09 21:20   ` NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-09 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I am actually not trying to boot from an NFS.  I just want to use an
initramfs.

output/target% cat etc/network/interfaces
# Configure Loopback
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

that all seems reasonable?  I thought I turned off NFS as an option in
buildroot.

Thanks!

::Ryan
 Ryan> ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists

  Ryan> And then it hangs.  I looked through the inittab -> rcS ->
S40network to find
 Ryan> that it is coming from the ifup call (on the loopback
interface?).

How does your /etc/network/interfaces file look? Do you have an entry
for eth0?

From the above I assume you're booting from NFS? Reconfiguring eth0

@ 2009-12-09 22:05     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-12-09 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Ryan> I am actually not trying to boot from an NFS.  I just want to use an
 Ryan> initramfs.

Ok, why are you then using the kernel ip autoconfig stuff that is
normally only used to boot from NFS?

 Ryan> output/target% cat etc/network/interfaces
 Ryan> # Configure Loopback
 Ryan> auto lo
 Ryan> iface lo inet loopback

 Ryan> that all seems reasonable?  I thought I turned off NFS as an option in
 Ryan> buildroot.

Yes, looks fine.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-09 22:06       ` NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-09 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Because I am messing up the configuration :).  I want the kernel to come
up and setup the dhcp/dns so that the virtex5 is on the network,
pingable, ssh (eventually), ftp (eventually), etc.

This is some settings inside of the Xilinx kernel then?

::Ryan

@ 2009-12-09 22:10         ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-12-09 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Ryan> Because I am messing up the configuration :).  I want the kernel to come
 Ryan> up and setup the dhcp/dns so that the virtex5 is on the network,
 Ryan> pingable, ssh (eventually), ftp (eventually), etc.

DNS is normally not possible with the kernel IP autoconfig, you better
use the dhcp client in busybox for that.

 Ryan> This is some settings inside of the Xilinx kernel then?

Not if you use the busybox version.

Does the above work if you remove the ip=.. part of your kernel command
line?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-09 22:18           ` NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-09 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Does the busybox dhcp client get called by the kernel at some point
(udhcpc?)?  how do I make this configuration so that the busybox dhcp
client is used?

I turned off the "IP : kernel level autoconfiguration" (CONFIG_IP_PNP)
off in the linux kernel, no change.

I then ran with just the boot line "console=ttyS0 root=/dev/ram" and
still got the failure.

::Ryan

@ 2009-12-10  8:29 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2009-12-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:20:12 -0800,
"NEAL, RYAN" <RYAN_NEAL@appsig.com> a ?crit :

> Starting network...
>
> ip: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>
> And then it hangs.  I looked through the inittab -> rcS -> S40network
> to find that it is coming from the ifup call (on the loopback
> interface?).

Are you sure your /etc/inittab is properly configured to set-up a getty
or shell on whichever serial line you're using ?

This "ip: RTNETLINK" is something I also have, but the system is fully
functional. However, when I forget to adapt the /etc/inittab to the
board serial port configuration, I get the same behaviour as you do.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-10 10:21             ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-12-10 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 Ryan> Does the busybox dhcp client get called by the kernel at some point
 Ryan> (udhcpc?)?  how do I make this configuration so that the busybox dhcp
 Ryan> client is used?

Not by the kernel, but by ifup (by adding something like this to /etc/network/interfaces):

iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto eth0

 Ryan> I turned off the "IP : kernel level autoconfiguration" (CONFIG_IP_PNP)
 Ryan> off in the linux kernel, no change.

 Ryan> I then ran with just the boot line "console=ttyS0 root=/dev/ram" and
 Ryan> still got the failure.

Ok, are you sure that the system hangs in ifup? What do you expect to
happen afterwards? Have you configured a getty (login program) on ttyS0?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-10 10:27   ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2009-12-10 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 Thomas> Are you sure your /etc/inittab is properly configured to set-up
 Thomas> a getty or shell on whichever serial line you're using ?

 Thomas> This "ip: RTNETLINK" is something I also have, but the system
 Thomas> is fully functional. However, when I forget to adapt the
 Thomas> /etc/inittab to the board serial port configuration, I get the
 Thomas> same behaviour as you do.

My thoughts exactly. Notice that you don't need to edit inittab by hand
if you use the generic target skeleton, we have kconfig settings for
this nowadays (Target options->Generic serial port config).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] RTNETLINK error
@ 2009-12-10 17:44               ` NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-10 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

If I add "rdinit=/bin/sh" to the command line then I don't get the
RTNETLINK error, I get a prompt.  I anticipate that I should be getting
a prompt (maybe some other messages between, haven't seen it run)
shortly after the network is configured.

Is there a setting in BR to add that "iface  eth0 ..." to the
/etc/network/interfaces?  Or do I need edit the file directly before the
make?

::Ryan

@ 2009-12-10 18:21               ` NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Just to be sure here is the startup part of my inittab:

 16 # Startup the system
 17 null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
 18 null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
 19 null::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
 20 null::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
 21 null::sysinit:/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
 22 null::sysinit:/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
 23 # now run any rc scripts
 24 ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
 25
 26 # Set up a couple of getty's
 27 tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
 28 tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
 29
 30 # Put a getty on the serial port
 31 #ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL

Meaning I should get a prompt right afterward, right?

::Ryan

@ 2009-12-10 20:13     ` NEAL, RYAN
From: NEAL, RYAN @ 2009-12-10 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Got it mostly working!!!!! You guys are AWESOME!!!

Here is what I had to change:
	- turn off the 'minimal skeleton' option:
BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SKELETON  (not sure what this did in general...left
on it caused that RTNETLINK error)
	- turn on the generic serial and set the rate:
BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_GETTY ttyS0 at 9600

In the kernel:
	- having the IP auto config off: didn't setup eth0
	- having the IP auto config on: setup eth0, but didn't run the
busybox udhcpc

I was wondering if there is a setting to get the udhcpc to run
automatically, or if I should edit one of the startup scripts manually?

Also, I was wondering if busybox supported telnetd?  I thought it did,
but I can't find any settings to enable it (and it isn't listed in the
busybox help).

Overall, this is FANTASTIC.  Thank you soo much for your help!!

::Ryan