* kernel booting and params
@ 2010-01-27 13:03 Alex
From: Alex @ 2010-01-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello everyone!

Trying to find information about kernel booting gave me nothing so I
decided to write here.

The question is: how does linux kernel know where to get its parameters'
string? To be more precise, what actions in general should a linux
bootloader do to tell the kernel its params and boot it?

Maybe someone knows where to find an information about it?

Exploring the sources of GRUB seemed  hard to me to understand...

Thanks anyway!

* Re: kernel booting and params
@ 2010-01-27 13:06 ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]   ` <4B603B5F.8080009@gmail.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2010-01-27 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Alex

On 01/27/2010 06:03 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Trying to find information about kernel booting gave me nothing so I decided to write here.
>
> The question is: how does linux kernel know where to get its parameters' string? To be more precise, what actions in general should a linux bootloader do to tell the kernel its
> params and boot it?
>
> Maybe someone knows where to find an information about it?
>
> Exploring the sources of GRUB seemed hard to me to understand...

This process is different for every architecture (x86, arm, powerpc, ...)

What platform(s) are you trying to understand?

@ 2010-01-27 13:33     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2010-01-27 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On 01/27/2010 06:10 AM, Alex wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>> On 01/27/2010 06:03 AM, Alex wrote:
>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> Trying to find information about kernel booting gave me nothing so I decided to write here.
>>>
>>> The question is: how does linux kernel know where to get its parameters' string? To be more precise, what actions in general should a linux bootloader do to tell the kernel its
>>> params and boot it?

>> This process is different for every architecture (x86, arm, powerpc, ...)
>>
>> What platform(s) are you trying to understand?
>
> It is an arm cpu. The platform is dm6446.

n.b. replies should be on the mailing list so that all benefit.

The information for ARM is passed in memory at a fixed block with
pointers and tags describing the various data.  The Linux source
file '.../arch/arm/include/asm/setup.h' describes how this works.

Look at U-Boot to see how it handles this linkage.

* Re: kernel booting and params
@ 2010-01-27 13:46       ` Alex
From: Alex @ 2010-01-27 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 06:10 AM, Alex wrote:
>> Gary Thomas wrote:

>>> This process is different for every architecture (x86, arm, powerpc,
>>> ...)
>>>
>>> What platform(s) are you trying to understand?
>>
>> It is an arm cpu. The platform is dm6446.
>
> n.b. replies should be on the mailing list so that all benefit.

Oh, sorry for that =(

> The information for ARM is passed in memory at a fixed block with
> pointers and tags describing the various data.  The Linux source
> file '.../arch/arm/include/asm/setup.h' describes how this works.
>
> Look at U-Boot to see how it handles this linkage.

Thanks a lot! I'll look!