* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-05 14:13 Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-02-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello,

Fred Fan, our so-far custodian for the Freescale (i.MX) ARM
architecture systems, just informed me that he cannot longer perform
this work.

Any volunteers to help out?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A dog always bit deepest on the veterinary hand.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-05 14:56 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-02-05 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Fred Fan, our so-far custodian for the Freescale (i.MX) ARM
> architecture systems, just informed me that he cannot longer perform
> this work.
>
> Any volunteers to help out?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

In the interim, I will fill in.
If you have been waiting for a i.mx review, please ping me.
Otherwise I will look back through the mailing list.
Tom

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-05 16:15   ` John Rigby
From: John Rigby @ 2010-02-05 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Sorry for the double reply.  This is the message I wanted to reply to.

Tom,

I have some i.mx25/TX25 patches.  They are all prefixed with PATCH V3.
Scott already took the nand and spl patches.  Ben ok'd the FEC
patches but said they needed to go in via your tree because they
modify i.mx files as well as the mxc fec driver.  No one commented on
the rest but Wolfgang has verified that they compile and boot on TX25.

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067069.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067075.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067073.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067077.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067074.html

Thanks
John

@ 2010-02-05 18:56     ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-02-05 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

John Rigby wrote:
> Sorry for the double reply.  This is the message I wanted to reply to.
>
> Tom,
>
> I have some i.mx25/TX25 patches.  They are all prefixed with PATCH V3.
> Scott already took the nand and spl patches.  Ben ok'd the FEC
> patches but said they needed to go in via your tree because they
> modify i.mx files as well as the mxc fec driver.  No one commented on
> the rest but Wolfgang has verified that they compile and boot on TX25.
>
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067069.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067075.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067073.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067077.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067074.html

Thanks.
I will take a look at these over the weekend.
Tom

@ 2010-02-05 19:07   ` Magnus Lilja
From: Magnus Lilja @ 2010-02-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Tom,

Tom skrev:
> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Fred Fan, our so-far custodian for the Freescale (i.MX) ARM
>> architecture systems, just informed me that he cannot longer perform
>> this work.
>>
>> Any volunteers to help out?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Wolfgang Denk
>>
> In the interim, I will fill in.
> If you have been waiting for a i.mx review, please ping me.
> Otherwise I will look back through the mailing list.

This i.MX patch has been waiting hanging around for a while:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/066471.html
acked by Wolfgang here http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/066541.html

Regards, Magnus

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-05 19:14     ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-02-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Magnus Lilja wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Tom skrev:
>> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Fred Fan, our so-far custodian for the Freescale (i.MX) ARM
>>> architecture systems, just informed me that he cannot longer perform
>>> this work.
>>>
>>> Any volunteers to help out?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Wolfgang Denk
>>>
>> In the interim, I will fill in.
>> If you have been waiting for a i.mx review, please ping me.
>> Otherwise I will look back through the mailing list.
>
> This i.MX patch has been waiting hanging around for a while:
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/066471.html
> acked by Wolfgang here http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/066541.html
>
> Regards, Magnus

Thanks
I will will look at this over the weekend.
Tom

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-12 10:30 ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2010-02-12 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Wolfgang, Hi Tom,

> Fred Fan, our so-far custodian for the Freescale (i.MX) ARM
> architecture systems, just informed me that he cannot longer perform
> this work.
>
> Any volunteers to help out?

I have not seen up now a big race to catch this job and I would like to
propone myself as the next i.MX custodian. My last activity was
concerned the porting of the mx51evk board (known also as babbage board)
to the mainline.

I do not know how you plan the next step, but please feel free to ask me
how can I help.

Best regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-12 16:54   ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2010-02-12 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Stefano,

> I do not know how you plan the next step, but please feel free to ask me
> how can I help.

Well, we are just packaging one of those stylish "custodian hats" which
you will be likely to wear a lot in the foreseeable future and send it
off to you :)

No honestly, as I do not see any negative reaction, there is no reason
why you should not get the job.  So maybe ask Fred Fan again if it is ok
to take over his git repo and then we will install your ssh key there so
you can update it.

Cheers and thanks!
  Detlev

--
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not
admire it.  The only excuse  for making  a useless  thing is that one

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-13  0:34     ` Paul Kline
From: Paul Kline @ 2010-02-13  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Detlev Zundel <dzu <at> denx.de> writes:

> Hi Stefano,
>
> > I do not know how you plan the next step, but please feel free to ask me
> > how can I help.
>
> Well, we are just packaging one of those stylish "custodian hats" which
> you will be likely to wear a lot in the foreseeable future and send it
> off to you :)
>
> No honestly, as I do not see any negative reaction, there is no reason
> why you should not get the job.  So maybe ask Fred Fan again if it is ok
> to take over his git repo and then we will install your ssh key there so
> you can update it.
>
> Cheers and thanks!
>   Detlev

Hi Stefano and Detlev,

When Fred Fan informed us he was leaving Freescale, we identified another
developer from Freescale's U-Boot development team who we planned to propose
as Fred's replacement as custodian for the Freescale i.MX ARM processors.
However, we were slow proposing this replacement--our apologies.

We appreciate Stefano volunteering to serve as Fred's replacement and we will
be happy to work with him in his role as new custodian for the Freescale i.MX
processors.  However, if Stefano volunteered because no one else was stepping
forward, then we would also be willing to have our developer serve as Fred's
replacement in the custodian's role.  Either way sounds good to Freescale.

Thanks again to Stefano for volunteering.

Regards,
Paul Kline
Manager, i.MX Linux Board Support Packages
Freescale Semiconductor

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-02-16  7:11       ` Jason Liu
From: Jason Liu @ 2010-02-16  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

2010/2/13 Paul Kline <paul.kline@freescale.com>:
> Detlev Zundel <dzu <at> denx.de> writes:
>

>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> > I do not know how you plan the next step, but please feel free to ask me
>> > how can I help.
>>
>> Well, we are just packaging one of those stylish "custodian hats" which
>> you will be likely to wear a lot in the foreseeable future and send it
>> off to you :)
>>
>> No honestly, as I do not see any negative reaction, there is no reason
>> why you should not get the job. ?So maybe ask Fred Fan again if it is ok
>> to take over his git repo and then we will install your ssh key there so
>> you can update it.
>>
>> Cheers and thanks!
>> ? Detlev
>>
> Hi Stefano and Detlev,
>
> When Fred Fan informed us he was leaving Freescale, we identified another
> developer from Freescale's U-Boot development team who we planned to propose
> as Fred's replacement as custodian for the Freescale i.MX ARM processors.
> However, we were slow proposing this replacement--our apologies.
>
> We appreciate Stefano volunteering to serve as Fred's replacement and we will
> be happy to work with him in his role as new custodian for the Freescale i.MX
> processors. ?However, if Stefano volunteered because no one else was stepping
> forward, then we would also be willing to have our developer serve as Fred's
> replacement in the custodian's role. ?Either way sounds good to Freescale.
>
> Thanks again to Stefano for volunteering.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Kline
> Manager, i.MX Linux Board Support Packages
> Freescale Semiconductor

As Paul said, I will be the proposed one to server as I.MX uboot
custodian for the next step. I'm
willing to work with any volunteered to maintain the I.MX uboot and
support it well. As you know, the time is Chinese new year and I have
very limitted access to the network. I will back on this weekend.
Thanks Stefano and Detlev for help in this time.

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-03-02 14:43     ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2010-03-02 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

John Rigby wrote:
> Sorry for the double reply.  This is the message I wanted to reply to.

Hi John, hi Tom,

> I have some i.mx25/TX25 patches.  They are all prefixed with PATCH V3.
> Scott already took the nand and spl patches.  Ben ok'd the FEC
> patches but said they needed to go in via your tree because they
> modify i.mx files as well as the mxc fec driver.  No one commented on
> the rest but Wolfgang has verified that they compile and boot on TX25.

As reported by Wolfgang, I won the custodian job for the IMX
architecture, at least for a while ;)
I am putting your patches into the u-boot-imx tree.

> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067073.html
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067077.html

As you reported, the fec_mxc.c driver needs to be merged, because at the
same time you add support for the MX25 and I did for the MX51. My patch
went already to the mainline, so merge is needed.

I am asking both which is the current status and how to proceed. Tom, if
you have not yet try to merge the driver, I will do it. I want only to
be sure we do not do the work twice. John, let me know if you prefer to
check yourself (I cannot test on a MX25 board, I can only recheck on a
MX51 to see if something goes wrong for this board).

Thanks,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-03-02 14:50       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-03-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Stefano Babic,

In message <4B8D2413.7070703@denx.de> you wrote:

> As you reported, the fec_mxc.c driver needs to be merged, because at the
> same time you add support for the MX25 and I did for the MX51. My patch
> went already to the mainline, so merge is needed.
>
> I am asking both which is the current status and how to proceed. Tom, if
> you have not yet try to merge the driver, I will do it. I want only to

I think we also have to ask Ben here.

> be sure we do not do the work twice. John, let me know if you prefer to
> check yourself (I cannot test on a MX25 board, I can only recheck on a
> MX51 to see if something goes wrong for this board).

Stefano: you can test the MX25 code on the "tx25" board in the VLAB
(this is the harwdware John used for the development of this driver,
too).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Programmer's Lament: (Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act I, Scene vii)
        "That we but teach bloody instructions,
        which, being taught, return to plague the inventor..."

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-03-02 16:06         ` John Rigby
From: John Rigby @ 2010-03-02 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I think Ben was ok with my mx25 changes, but needed an arm person to do the
commit.

@ 2010-03-02 17:24           ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2010-03-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

John Rigby wrote:
> I think Ben was ok with my mx25 changes, but needed an arm person to do
> the commit.

Hi John,

yes, I think I have read Ben's comment on your patch. However, because
your patch does not apply anymore on TOT, I am asking who is responsible
to merge the driver (you, Ben or I), or if this job was already done.

Sorry, I sent a wrong link in the previous e-mail. The problem arises
with your patch
"fec_mxc: cleanup and factor out MX27 dependencies", that contains
changes in both the fec_mxc driver and the imx tree:

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067075.html

Now I am supposing I am the person to apply your patch, at least for the
u-boot-imx. Not sure how to proceed with the network driver. What do you
think ? Is it ok if I merge the driver ? Or do you prefer to check
yourself ? Ben, what do you think ?

Regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [STATUS] i.MX / Freescale ARM custodian needed
@ 2010-03-02 17:37             ` John Rigby
From: John Rigby @ 2010-03-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I'm fine with you doing the merge.

@ 2010-03-02 18:06           ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-03-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/2/2010 8:06 AM, John Rigby wrote:
> I think Ben was ok with my mx25 changes, but needed an arm person to
> do the commit.

Agreed.  I couldn't apply because of other patch dependencies.

regards,
Ben

@ 2010-03-02 18:07             ` Ben Warren
From: Ben Warren @ 2010-03-02 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 3/2/2010 9:24 AM, Stefano Babic wrote:
> John Rigby wrote:
>
>> I think Ben was ok with my mx25 changes, but needed an arm person to do
>> the commit.
>>

> Hi John,
>
> yes, I think I have read Ben's comment on your patch. However, because
> your patch does not apply anymore on TOT, I am asking who is responsible
> to merge the driver (you, Ben or I), or if this job was already done.
>
> Sorry, I sent a wrong link in the previous e-mail. The problem arises
> with your patch
> "fec_mxc: cleanup and factor out MX27 dependencies", that contains
> changes in both the fec_mxc driver and the imx tree:
>
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-January/067075.html
>
> Now I am supposing I am the person to apply your patch, at least for the
> u-boot-imx. Not sure how to proceed with the network driver. What do you
> think ? Is it ok if I merge the driver ? Or do you prefer to check
> yourself ? Ben, what do you think ?

Please go ahead.
> Regards,
> Stefano