* git over http from linuxtv
       [not found] <4B82F7ED.6020502@redhat.com>
@ 2010-03-02 17:23 ` m7aalton
From: m7aalton @ 2010-03-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

Is it possible to access the linuxtv.org git repositories using http?
I tried to do this:

git remote add linuxtv git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git

using http, but I couldn't figure out a working address.

Thank you,
Matti Aaltonen

* Re: git over http from linuxtv
@ 2010-03-02 19:08   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2010-03-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

m7aalton wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to access the linuxtv.org git repositories using http?
> I tried to do this:
>
> git remote add linuxtv git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git

You should be able to use both URL's:

URL	http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
	git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git

There were a miss-configuration for the http URL. I just fixed it.

> using http, but I couldn't figure out a working address.
>
> Thank you,
> Matti Aaltonen

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: git over http from linuxtv
@ 2010-03-03 11:12     ` m7aalton
From: m7aalton @ 2010-03-03 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 20:08 +0100, ext Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> m7aalton wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Is it possible to access the linuxtv.org git repositories using http?
> > I tried to do this:
> >
> > git remote add linuxtv git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>
> You should be able to use both URL's:
>
> URL	http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
> 	git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>
> There were a miss-configuration for the http URL. I just fixed it.

Now it works better but I still couldn't clone it properly. The update
from linuxtv didn't seem to do anything....

Here's what happened:

$ git clone
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
v4l-dvb

$ cd v4l-dvb

$ git remote add linuxtv http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git

$ git remote update
Updating origin
>From http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
   13dda80..3a5b27b  master     -> origin/master
Updating linuxtv

$ git branch -a
* master
  origin/HEAD
  origin/master

$ git checkout -b media-master linuxtv/master
fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
branches.
Did you intend to checkout 'linuxtv/master' which can not be resolved as
commit?

Cheers,
Matti

@ 2010-03-03 14:55       ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2010-03-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

m7aalton wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 20:08 +0100, ext Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> m7aalton wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to access the linuxtv.org git repositories using http?
>>> I tried to do this:
>>>
>>> git remote add linuxtv git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>> You should be able to use both URL's:
>>
>> URL	http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>> 	git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>>
>> There were a miss-configuration for the http URL. I just fixed it.
>

> Now it works better but I still couldn't clone it properly. The update
> from linuxtv didn't seem to do anything....
>
> Here's what happened:
>
> $ git clone
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> v4l-dvb
>
> $ cd v4l-dvb
>
> $ git remote add linuxtv http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>
> $ git remote update
> Updating origin
>>From http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
>    13dda80..3a5b27b  master     -> origin/master
> Updating linuxtv
>
> $ git branch -a
> * master
>   origin/HEAD
>   origin/master
>
> $ git checkout -b media-master linuxtv/master
> fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
> branches.
> Did you intend to checkout 'linuxtv/master' which can not be resolved as
> commit?

This happens when you try to use a gitweb URL instead of the proper one. At the above,
you've used the wrong URL. The correct one is:
	 http://linuxtv.org/git/v4l-dvb.git

You don't need to re-do the entire procedure. Just edit .git/config and put the
correct URL there for the linuxtv remote.

--

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: git over http from linuxtv
@ 2010-03-04 10:08         ` m7aalton
From: m7aalton @ 2010-03-04 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI.

OK. Thanks. Earlier your said:

>> You should be able to use both URL's:
> >>
> >> URL	http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
> >> 	git://linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git

I didn't realize that you were referring to gitweb... Maybe it would
make sense to have also an example using http on your git repositories
page.

Cheers,
Matti

@ 2010-03-04 12:01           ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2010-03-04 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

m7aalton wrote:
> HI.
>
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 15:55 +0100, ext Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> m7aalton wrote:

>>> Now it works better but I still couldn't clone it properly. The update
>>> from linuxtv didn't seem to do anything....
>>>
>>> Here's what happened:
>>>
>>> $ git clone
>>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>> v4l-dvb
>>>
>>> $ cd v4l-dvb
>>>
>>> $ git remote add linuxtv http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-dvb.git
>>>
>>> $ git remote update
>>> Updating origin
>>>    13dda80..3a5b27b  master     -> origin/master
>>> Updating linuxtv
>>>
>>> $ git branch -a
>>> * master
>>>   origin/HEAD
>>>   origin/master
>>>
>>> $ git checkout -b media-master linuxtv/master
>>> fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
>>> branches.
>>> Did you intend to checkout 'linuxtv/master' which can not be resolved as
>>> commit?
>> This happens when you try to use a gitweb URL instead of the proper one. At the above,
>> you've used the wrong URL. The correct one is:
>> 	 http://linuxtv.org/git/v4l-dvb.git
>
> OK. Thanks. Earlier your said:
>
>>> You should be able to use both URL's:

I've copied it from gitweb URL's. They were wrong. I just fixed it too.

> I didn't realize that you were referring to gitweb... Maybe it would
> make sense to have also an example using http on your git repositories
> page.

The http transport should be used only as the last resort, where some corporate
firewalls are configured to block git. The usage of http is less
efficient than git, and require to enable a per-repository hook that runs
every time a repository is updated. The hook updates some files that http
transport needs.

Cheers,
Mauro