* suspend works until core pm_test, but the still fails
@ 2010-03-10  6:42 Ákos Maróy
From: Ákos Maróy @ 2010-03-10  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pm list

Hi,

I'm still trying to make power management work on my HP Envy 15.

I'm experimenting with unloading as many modules as possible, testing
the suspend feature using various levels of /sys/power/pm_test

I managed to get the number of modules as low as these:

Module                  Size  Used by
binfmt_misc             7454  1
bnep                   11287  2
btusb                  12729  2

then I was going through these steps;

echo freezer > /sys/power/pm_test
echo mem > /sys/power/state
echo devices > /sys/power/pm_test
echo mem > /sys/power/state
echo platform > /sys/power/pm_test
echo mem > /sys/power/state
echo processors > /sys/power/pm_test
echo mem > /sys/power/state
echo core > /sys/power/pm_test
echo mem > /sys/power/state

and all these worked fine - meaning that I got back to the console
screen. I also ran dmesg, and didn't see anything suspicious.

but, when I do:

echo none > /sys/power/pm_test
echo mem > /sys/power/state

the machine will still hang :(

what am I doing wrong?

this is all on a 2.6.32.9 kernel

Akos

* Re: suspend works until core pm_test, but the still fails
@ 2010-03-11 21:18 ` Ákos Maróy
From: Ákos Maróy @ 2010-03-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pm list

so, nobody would have any pointers on how to move forward with the issue
below?

@ 2010-03-11 21:52   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2010-03-11 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm

On Thursday 11 March 2010, Ákos Maróy wrote:
> so, nobody would have any pointers on how to move forward with the issue
> below?

Perhaps no one has had the time to look into it yet.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: suspend works until core pm_test, but the still fails
@ 2010-03-15 22:30 ` Ákos Maróy
From: Ákos Maróy @ 2010-03-15 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pm list

Hi,

I did some additional debugging on my issue below, namely booted the
kernel with the no_console_suspend and initcall_debug options and then:

echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
rmmod xhci
echo mem > /sys/power/state

and then I got to the console, the last screen had messages like:

ACPI: Preparing to enter sleep state S3
Broke affinit for irq 25 (same for 26, 27 and 28)
CPU 1 is now offline (same for CPUs 1...8)
SMP alternatives: switching to UP mode
Extended CMOS year: 2000

and then the machine hangs, it doesn't power off.

this is on kernel 2.6.32.9

what could I do to make this work - e.g. the machine power off on
shutdown, and power off on suspend?

Akos