* Deleting branches
@ 2010-03-26 14:41 jhapk
From: jhapk @ 2010-03-26 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,
I wanted to see the all the branches of a remote repository and so in my
.git/config file I had something like
[remote "jeff"]
        url = /nfs/kris/d1/people/jeff/cffc
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/jeff/*

But then I decided that I only need to see one particular_branch and I
changed it to
[remote "jeff"]
        url = /nfs/kris/d1/people/jeff/cffc
        fetch =
+refs/heads/particular_branch:refs/remotes/jeff/particular_branch

But even now, when I do a $git branch -a, I see this
[pradeep@scaramanga cffc]$ git branch -a
  jeff
  master
* work
  jeff/local
  jeff/master
  jeff/particular_branch
  origin/HEAD
  origin/master
  origin/work

Why am I still getting the other jeff branches in my list and how do I
delete them?
THanks

* Re: Deleting branches
@ 2010-03-26 15:12 ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2010-03-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jhapk; +Cc: git

jhapk venit, vidit, dixit 26.03.2010 15:41:

> Hi,
> I wanted to see the all the branches of a remote repository and so in my
> .git/config file I had something like
> [remote "jeff"]
>         url = /nfs/kris/d1/people/jeff/cffc
>         fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/jeff/*
>
> But then I decided that I only need to see one particular_branch and I
> changed it to
> [remote "jeff"]
>         url = /nfs/kris/d1/people/jeff/cffc
>         fetch =
> +refs/heads/particular_branch:refs/remotes/jeff/particular_branch
>
> But even now, when I do a $git branch -a, I see this
> [pradeep@scaramanga cffc]$ git branch -a
>   jeff
>   master
> * work
>   jeff/local
>   jeff/master
>   jeff/particular_branch
>   origin/HEAD
>   origin/master
>   origin/work
>
> Why am I still getting the other jeff branches in my list

Because the config determines what is fetched, it does not delete
existing refs.

> and how do I
> delete them?
> THanks