* DSS2 & V4L2
@ 2010-04-19 12:29 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2010-04-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap; +Cc: Tomi Valkeinen, hvaibhav

I'm trying to get the DVSDK (3.01.00.03) working.  It uses
2.6.32 + DSS2 + V4L2.

What I'm having trouble with is how to configure/create/setup
a video overlay such that I get V4L2 device for the display.
In particular, what magic is required to create /dev/video1?

Note: I'd be glad to send this question to a more targeted list,
but the only one mentioned in the DVSDK documentation does not
really exist :-(

* Re: DSS2 & V4L2
@ 2010-04-19 12:58 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-04-19 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: linux-omap, Tomi Valkeinen, hvaibhav

Op 19 apr 2010, om 14:29 heeft Gary Thomas het volgende geschreven:

> I'm trying to get the DVSDK (3.01.00.03) working.  It uses
> 2.6.32 + DSS2 + V4L2.
>
> What I'm having trouble with is how to configure/create/setup
> a video overlay such that I get V4L2 device for the display.
> In particular, what magic is required to create /dev/video1?

The trick is usually "do not create >2 framebuffers". My understanding is that an overlay can either be a framebuffer or a v4l device, but not both.

regards,

Koen

* Re: DSS2 & V4L2
@ 2010-04-19 13:18   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2010-04-19 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: linux-omap, Tomi Valkeinen, hvaibhav

On 04/19/2010 06:58 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 19 apr 2010, om 14:29 heeft Gary Thomas het volgende geschreven:
>
>> I'm trying to get the DVSDK (3.01.00.03) working.  It uses
>> 2.6.32 + DSS2 + V4L2.
>>
>> What I'm having trouble with is how to configure/create/setup
>> a video overlay such that I get V4L2 device for the display.
>> In particular, what magic is required to create /dev/video1?
>
> The trick is usually "do not create>2 framebuffers". My understanding is that an overlay can either be a framebuffer or a v4l device, but not both.

That was it, thanks!

* RE: DSS2 & V4L2
@ 2010-04-20  6:56 ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2010-04-20  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I'm trying to get the DVSDK (3.01.00.03) working.  It uses
> 2.6.32 + DSS2 + V4L2.
>
> What I'm having trouble with is how to configure/create/setup
> a video overlay such that I get V4L2 device for the display.
> In particular, what magic is required to create /dev/video1?

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] No magic required here, you just need to configure number of Fb's less than 2.
We have created one config option CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_NUM_FBS, which controls number of Fb nodes and rest goes to V4L2, out of total 3 (number of overlays).

Hope this helps you to understand this.

Thanks,
Vaibhav