* is realtime device supported?
@ 2010-04-22 14:49 Wengang Wang
From: Wengang Wang @ 2010-04-22 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs; +Cc: greg.marsden, joe.jin

Hi experts,

Do we support realtime device?

I got the following error:

[root@desk test-xfsprogs]# mkfs.xfs -rrtdev=/dev/sda12,extsize=4096
/dev/sda10 -f
meta-data=/dev/sda10             isize=256    agcount=4, agsize=1250558
blks
         =                       sectsz=512   attr=2
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=5002231, imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=2560, version=2
         =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=0
realtime =/dev/sda12             extsz=4096   blocks=2502115,
rtextents=2502115
[root@desk test-xfsprogs]# mount /dev/sda10 /xfs
mount: Function not implemented
[root@desk test-xfsprogs]# mount -ortdev=/dev/sda12 /dev/sda10 /xfs
mount: Function not implemented

regards,
wengang.

* Re: is realtime device supported?
@ 2010-04-22 16:23 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2010-04-22 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wengang Wang; +Cc: greg.marsden, joe.jin, xfs

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:49:39PM +0800, Wengang Wang wrote:
> Do we support realtime device?
>
> I got the following error:

It sounds like you do not have CONFIG_XFS_RT enable in your kernel
configuration.  But to answer your original question the realtime
device is not supported in the sense of actively maintained.  The
code is still there, but more or less for legacy reasons.  I would
not recommend it for new installations.

* Re: is realtime device supported?
@ 2010-04-22 16:53   ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2010-04-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: xfs, greg.marsden, joe.jin, Wengang Wang

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:49:39PM +0800, Wengang Wang wrote:
>> Do we support realtime device?
>>
>> I got the following error:
>
> It sounds like you do not have CONFIG_XFS_RT enable in your kernel
> configuration.  But to answer your original question the realtime
> device is not supported in the sense of actively maintained.  The
> code is still there, but more or less for legacy reasons.  I would
> not recommend it for new installations.

Agreed.

FWIW, dmesg probably gave you a more helpful error message than
mount...

                cmn_err(CE_WARN, "XFS: RT mount failed");

hm or maybe not ;)

-Eric

* Re: is realtime device supported?
@ 2010-04-23  3:00     ` Wengang Wang
From: Wengang Wang @ 2010-04-23  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, xfs, greg.marsden, joe.jin, Wengang Wang

On 10-04-22 11:53, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:49:39PM +0800, Wengang Wang wrote:
> >> Do we support realtime device?
> >>
> >> I got the following error:
> >
> > It sounds like you do not have CONFIG_XFS_RT enable in your kernel
> > configuration.  But to answer your original question the realtime
> > device is not supported in the sense of actively maintained.  The
> > code is still there, but more or less for legacy reasons.  I would
> > not recommend it for new installations.

Yes, CONFIG_XFS_RT is disabled.
[wwg@desk linux-2.6.18.x86_64]$ grep CONFIG_XFS_RT .config
# CONFIG_XFS_RT is not set

And Ok I see. Also should we add the point to man page of mkfs.xfs?

> Agreed.
>
> FWIW, dmesg probably gave you a more helpful error message than
> mount...
>
>                 cmn_err(CE_WARN, "XFS: RT mount failed");
>
> hm or maybe not ;)

Only "XFS: RT mount failed" :)

Thanks all!

@ 2010-04-23  3:19       ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2010-04-23  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wengang Wang; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, greg.marsden, joe.jin, xfs

Wengang Wang wrote:
> On 10-04-22 11:53, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Christoph Hellwig wrote:

>>> It sounds like you do not have CONFIG_XFS_RT enable in your kernel
>>> configuration.  But to answer your original question the realtime
>>> device is not supported in the sense of actively maintained.  The
>>> code is still there, but more or less for legacy reasons.  I would
>>> not recommend it for new installations.
>
> Yes, CONFIG_XFS_RT is disabled.
> [wwg@desk linux-2.6.18.x86_64]$ grep CONFIG_XFS_RT .config
> # CONFIG_XFS_RT is not set
>
> And Ok I see. Also should we add the point to man page of mkfs.xfs?
>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> FWIW, dmesg probably gave you a more helpful error message than
>> mount...
>>
>>                 cmn_err(CE_WARN, "XFS: RT mount failed");
>>
>> hm or maybe not ;)
>
> Only "XFS: RT mount failed" :)

A patch to explicitly say that it failed because CONFIG_XFS_RT was off
would be happily accepted, too.

I am curious, are you doing a lot of QA type work on xfs?  You are finding
some interesting things that could certainly be fixed up, we appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Eric

* Re: is realtime device supported?
@ 2010-04-25 10:08         ` Wengang Wang
From: Wengang Wang @ 2010-04-25 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, xfs, greg.marsden, joe.jin, Wengang Wang

Hi Eirc,

On 10-04-22 22:19, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Wengang Wang wrote:

> > Yes, CONFIG_XFS_RT is disabled.
> > [wwg@desk linux-2.6.18.x86_64]$ grep CONFIG_XFS_RT .config
> > # CONFIG_XFS_RT is not set
> >
> > And Ok I see. Also should we add the point to man page of mkfs.xfs?
> >
> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> FWIW, dmesg probably gave you a more helpful error message than
> >> mount...
> >>
> >>                 cmn_err(CE_WARN, "XFS: RT mount failed");
> >>
> >> hm or maybe not ;)
> >
> > Only "XFS: RT mount failed" :)
>
> A patch to explicitly say that it failed because CONFIG_XFS_RT was off
> would be happily accepted, too.

Yes. I will try to make the patch.

> I am curious, are you doing a lot of QA type work on xfs?  You are finding
> some interesting things that could certainly be fixed up, we appreciate it.

I am just interested in it :). I like to play with various file systems.

regards,
wengang.