* HP Probook 4510s fan always at high speed
@ 2010-03-31 18:06 Angel Peña
From: Angel Peña @ 2010-03-31 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

My new HP Probook 4510s with openSuse 11.2 (kernel 2.6.31) or 11.3
Milestone 4 (kernel 2.6.32) always ends running the fan at high speed.
There must be a change in the BIOS because in others HP laptops (nx6125,
nx7300) it didn't occur.

Thanks for you attention.

Angel Peña

* Re: HP Probook 4510s fan always at high speed
@ 2010-03-31 18:22 ` Rafał Miłecki
From: Rafał Miłecki @ 2010-03-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel Peña; +Cc: linux-acpi

2010/3/31 Angel Peña <angelpp@bigfoot.com>:
> My new HP Probook 4510s with openSuse 11.2 (kernel 2.6.31) or 11.3
> Milestone 4 (kernel 2.6.32) always ends running the fan at high speed.
> There must be a change in the BIOS because in others HP laptops (nx6125,
> nx7300) it didn't occur.
>
> Thanks for you attention.

Did you check "top" to make sure your CPU is not processing something
hardly? Did your userspace downclocked CPU? What is your GPU?

I don't think it's anything ACPI related.

--
Rafał

* Re: HP Probook 4510s fan always at high speed
@ 2010-04-26 12:07 ` Angel Peña
From: Angel Peña @ 2010-04-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

This is the sensors-detect command output from my HP 4510s ProBook:

# sensors-detect
Shutting down sensors:                                               done
# sensors-detect revision 5729 (2009-06-02 15:51:29 +0200)
# System: Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 4510s (laptop)
# Board: Hewlett-Packard 3074

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): YES
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            No
AMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   No
AMD K10 thermal sensors...                                  No
Intel Core family thermal sensor...                         Success!
    (driver `coretemp')
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         No
VIA C7 thermal and voltage sensors...                       No

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x4501
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Fintek'...                       No
Trying family `ITE'...                                      No

This is the sensors command output

# sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:       +75.0°C  (crit = +108.0°C)
temp2:       +30.0°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp3:       +40.0°C  (crit = +108.0°C)
temp4:       +45.0°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp5:       +20.0°C  (crit = +108.0°C)
temp6:       +45.0°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

temp1 is high and increasing from +70.0ºC despite the high fan speed.

It seems that this machine is not yet supported.

Angel