* BUG: cx88 can't find device struct
@ 2010-06-11 20:52 Timothy E. Krantz
From: Timothy E. Krantz @ 2010-06-11 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,
I started looking into this problem a while back and gave up.  Now I decided
to try again.

I am running MythDora 12.23 and would like to update the alsa driver to
1.0.23 so that I can use HDMI audio out on my nvidia GT220 card.

So I download the alsa-driver-1.0.23.tar.bz file, unpack it, ./configure and
make and make install.

When I reboot I can verify the new alsa driver by cat/proc/asound/version
and it is indeed 1.0.23.

If I then try to record an analog station I get:

Jun  9 14:40:19 mythdora kernel: BUG: cx88 can't find device struct. Can't
proceed with open
Jun  9 14:40:19 mythdora kernel: cx88[1]: Calling XC5000 callback
Jun  9 14:40:19 mythdora kernel: BUG: cx88 can't find device struct. Can't
proceed with open

Hmmm, ok the alsa driver implementation updated some kernel header file
perhaps, so I download the latest v4l-dvb tree and compile it and install it
and reboot.

Same thing.  No sound on analog recordings.

I am sure I am missing some important step or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

* Re: BUG: cx88 can't find device struct
@ 2010-06-13 14:01 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2010-06-13 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy E. Krantz; +Cc: alsa-devel

Timothy E. Krantz wrote:
> I download the alsa-driver-1.0.23.tar.bz file, unpack it, ./configure and
> make and make install.
>
> If I then try to record an analog station I get:
>
> Jun  9 14:40:19 mythdora kernel: BUG: cx88 can't find device struct. Can't proceed with open

The cx88 is not part of the ALSA driver package.

You have to recompile the entire kernel, where the new ALSA is part of
this kernel.  If you distribution doesn't have the latest released (or
beta) kernel, try a kernel snapshot from here (this requires git):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git;a=summary

HTH
Clemens