* reenabling disabled ata links from the command line
@ 2010-06-13  9:06 Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2010-06-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

Hi,

I recently found myself in a situation where I had to recover some data
from a SATA disk with broken sata connector.

In the end I had to reboot quite often to get the sata hardware/driver
to retry to reconnect a link when I fixed the connector in a slightly
different angle.

On the first connect the hardware detected it by itself,
but the problem was that once it lost the link the ata interface
was disabled and only a reset could fix that, I think(?)

So I was wondering is there a way to reenable a link that has been
disabled to try again?

I presume a module reload would do it, but that's not practical when your
root fs is on another SATA port.

Should something like this be implemented?

Thanks,
-Andi

* Re: reenabling disabled ata links from the command line
@ 2010-06-14  7:36 ` Tejun Heo
From: Tejun Heo @ 2010-06-14  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: linux-ide

On 06/13/2010 11:06 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
> So I was wondering is there a way to reenable a link that has been
> disabled to try again?
>
> I presume a module reload would do it, but that's not practical when your
> root fs is on another SATA port.
>
> Should something like this be implemented?

echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostN/scan

--
tejun