* building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 21:58 jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-02-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

I'm trying to build the pandaboard BSP for Yocto.  I cloned the meta-ti
repository in the poky directory and tried to build core-image-sato for
both machine pandaboard and omap4430-panda. However, I immediately get
an error because bitbake is looking for
recipes-images/angstrom/systemd-image.bb, which is required in the
ti-hw-bringup-image.bb image recipe.

All I really included was the machine name change in local.conf and
added the meta-ti layer in bblayers.conf.

Did I miss a step?

Jim A

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 22:04 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: meta-ti

There's a README in the layer, read it and follow the instructions

Op 8 feb. 2012 om 22:58 heeft jfabernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

@ 2012-02-08 22:05 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-02-08 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 2012-02-08 14:58, jfabernathy wrote:
> I'm trying to build the pandaboard BSP for Yocto. I cloned the meta-ti repository in the poky directory and tried to build core-image-sato for both machine pandaboard and
> omap4430-panda. However, I immediately get an error because bitbake is looking for recipes-images/angstrom/systemd-image.bb, which is required in the ti-hw-bringup-image.bb image
> recipe.
>
> All I really included was the machine name change in local.conf and added the meta-ti layer in bblayers.conf.
>
> Did I miss a step?

This was discussed last week.  Add this line to your local.conf
   BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
This will skip some BeagleBoard/BeagleBone recipes that are not
currently working in a Yocto tree.

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 22:11   ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-02-08 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 02/08/2012 05:05 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2012-02-08 14:58, jfabernathy wrote:
>> I'm trying to build the pandaboard BSP for Yocto. I cloned the
>> meta-ti repository in the poky directory and tried to build
>> core-image-sato for both machine pandaboard and
>> omap4430-panda. However, I immediately get an error because bitbake
>> is looking for recipes-images/angstrom/systemd-image.bb, which is
>> required in the ti-hw-bringup-image.bb image
>> recipe.
>>
>> All I really included was the machine name change in local.conf and
>> added the meta-ti layer in bblayers.conf.
>>
>> Did I miss a step?
>
> This was discussed last week.  Add this line to your local.conf
>   BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
> This will skip some BeagleBoard/BeagleBone recipes that are not
> currently working in a Yocto tree.

Thanks a bunch. That got it going.  The README said nothing, so I'm glad
you jumped in with this hint.  I just joined the meta-ti mailing list today.

I know I'm going to need a pointer to how to put the yocto image on an
SDcard.  I would assume it's similar to how you put ubuntu or angstrom??

@ 2012-02-08 22:18     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-08 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: meta-ti

Op 8 feb. 2012, om 23:11 heeft jfabernathy het volgende geschreven:

> On 02/08/2012 05:05 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> On 2012-02-08 14:58, jfabernathy wrote:
>>> I'm trying to build the pandaboard BSP for Yocto. I cloned the meta-ti repository in the poky directory and tried to build core-image-sato for both machine pandaboard and
>>> omap4430-panda. However, I immediately get an error because bitbake is looking for recipes-images/angstrom/systemd-image.bb, which is required in the ti-hw-bringup-image.bb image
>>> recipe.
>>>
>>> All I really included was the machine name change in local.conf and added the meta-ti layer in bblayers.conf.
>>>
>>> Did I miss a step?
>>
>> This was discussed last week.  Add this line to your local.conf
>>  BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
>> This will skip some BeagleBoard/BeagleBone recipes that are not
>> currently working in a Yocto tree.
>>
> Thanks a bunch. That got it going.  The README said nothing

Stop spreading such lies!

koen@dominion:/OE/tentacle/sources/meta-ti$ cat README
This layer depends on:

URI: git://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core
branch: master
revision: HEAD

URI: git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/meta-angstrom
branch: master
revision: HEAD

URI: git://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded
branch: master
revision: HEAD

It is recommended to follow the instructions at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

This will set it up for the OpenEmbedded-core layout instead of the old
OpenEmbedded-dev layout. You can optionally tweak sources/layers.txt and conf/bblayers.conf to (de)select BSP layers.

Send pull requests to meta-ti@yoctoproject.org

Main layer maintainers: Denys Dmytriyenko <denys@ti.com>
                        Koen Kooi <k-kooi@ti.com>

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 22:20     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-02-08 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 2012-02-08 15:11, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 05:05 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> On 2012-02-08 14:58, jfabernathy wrote:
>>> I'm trying to build the pandaboard BSP for Yocto. I cloned the meta-ti repository in the poky directory and tried to build core-image-sato for both machine pandaboard and
>>> omap4430-panda. However, I immediately get an error because bitbake is looking for recipes-images/angstrom/systemd-image.bb, which is required in the ti-hw-bringup-image.bb image
>>> recipe.
>>>
>>> All I really included was the machine name change in local.conf and added the meta-ti layer in bblayers.conf.
>>>
>>> Did I miss a step?
>>
>> This was discussed last week. Add this line to your local.conf
>> BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
>> This will skip some BeagleBoard/BeagleBone recipes that are not
>> currently working in a Yocto tree.
>>
> Thanks a bunch. That got it going. The README said nothing, so I'm glad you jumped in with this hint. I just joined the meta-ti mailing list today.

The README assumes you want to build using Angstrom.  I've found that
with only a little extra care, you can use this layer just fine with
Yocto.

As for the meta-ti mailing list, it hasn't seen much of anything except
discussions about how to manage the layer.  Certainly not user-level
questions like this.  Also, my mention of BBMASK was on the Yocto list :-)

> I know I'm going to need a pointer to how to put the yocto image on an SDcard. I would assume it's similar to how you put ubuntu or angstrom??

You can use (or adapt) this script http://angstrom.s3.amazonaws.com/demo/beagleboard/mkcard.txt

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 22:22       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-02-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 2012-02-08 15:18, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 8 feb. 2012, om 23:11 heeft jfabernathy het volgende geschreven:

>>> This was discussed last week.  Add this line to your local.conf
>>>   BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
>>> This will skip some BeagleBoard/BeagleBone recipes that are not
>>> currently working in a Yocto tree.
>>>
>> Thanks a bunch. That got it going.  The README said nothing
>
> Stop spreading such lies!

It's not a lie, just a perspective.  Not everyone wants to run Angstrom,
but they might want to use the TI layer (kernels, DSP support, etc)

@ 2012-02-08 22:27         ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-08 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Op 8 feb. 2012, om 23:22 heeft Gary Thomas het volgende geschreven:

> On 2012-02-08 15:18, Koen Kooi wrote:

>>> Thanks a bunch. That got it going.  The README said nothing
>>
>> Stop spreading such lies!
>
> It's not a lie, just a perspective.

It *is* a lie, since the README is non-empty. Regardless of what you want to do, the README does contain content.

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 22:34           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-02-08 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 2012-02-08 15:27, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 8 feb. 2012, om 23:22 heeft Gary Thomas het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On 2012-02-08 15:18, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>>
>>> Op 8 feb. 2012, om 23:11 heeft jfabernathy het volgende geschreven:

>>> Stop spreading such lies!
>>
>> It's not a lie, just a perspective.
>
> It *is* a lie, since the README is non-empty. Regardless of what you want to do, the README does contain content.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to my work-around to get this
going in Yocto.  Obviously, he was looking for more info in the
README than just how to use this layer with Angstrom and I agree
that this "trick" probably does not belong in the README.

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-08 22:51             ` James Abernathy
From: James Abernathy @ 2012-02-08 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: meta-ti

On Feb 8, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 2012-02-08 15:27, Koen Kooi wrote:

>>> It's not a lie, just a perspective.
>>
>> It *is* a lie, since the README is non-empty. Regardless of what you want to do, the README does contain content.
>
> Sorry, I thought you were referring to my work-around to get this
> going in Yocto.  Obviously, he was looking for more info in the
> README than just how to use this layer with Angstrom and I agree
> that this "trick" probably does not belong in the README.
>
> --

Wow!  Sorry I jumped into a mailing list I obviously don't understand or belong in.  I apologize if I offended.  I did read the README, but it didn't make a bit of sense to me because it talked about angstrom, which I don't know anything about and wondered what that had to do with yocto.  My current Yocto knowledge is based on the meta-intel layer, which doesn't mention angstrom.  It sounds like the hint/trick that Gary mentioned will make bitbake build with just yocto, which is what I want.  My goal is more of a proof of concept.  I'd like to prove if you could take the same image recipe and move it from Pandaboard to Atom and vice versa.  That way a developer could pick the hardware platform based on the performance, features, and cost.  The software effort should be minimal to move if the Yocto concept works as advertised.

@ 2012-02-09  1:16               ` William Mills
       [not found]                 ` <CAFZh4h_dVaOnbYMZjnAc34upJqoPKK4AaPEOEHPTQL6ZEyU-6w@mail.gmail.com>
From: William Mills @ 2012-02-09  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Abernathy; +Cc: meta-ti

On 02/08/2012 05:51 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> On 2012-02-08 15:27, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>>
>>> Op 8 feb. 2012, om 23:22 heeft Gary Thomas het volgende geschreven:

>>> It *is* a lie, since the README is non-empty. Regardless of what you want to do, the README does contain content.

I for one read that as Gary intended, that the README did not say
anything about how to get it to work with Yocto.  Can we word things is
a less confrontational way please?

>> Sorry, I thought you were referring to my work-around to get this
>> going in Yocto.  Obviously, he was looking for more info in the
>> README than just how to use this layer with Angstrom and I agree
>> that this "trick" probably does not belong in the README.
>>
>> --

There was nothing wrong with your question.

As Gary said there has not been too many end user questions on meta-ti
yet.  Of course someone has to be first.

meta-ti is still in early development.  It started life working only in
an Angstrom context.  We are making changes that will make most of it
work with just oe-core or yocto/poky but that is not ready yet.  Gary's
work around is an interesting approximation of what we are shooting for.

@ 2012-02-09 13:01               ` Maupin, Chase
From: Maupin, Chase @ 2012-02-09 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Abernathy, Gary Thomas; +Cc: meta-ti

Jim, you are welcome here.  As was mentioned before there have been a lot of discussions about this layer.  One of the goals for the meta-ti layer will be to work with just oe-core and yocto and not require meta-angstrom.  We are moving that direction and the use case you are trying and your experiences with it are important.  Thanks for taking the time to give this a shot.

@ 2012-02-09 13:11                 ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-02-09 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maupin, Chase; +Cc: meta-ti

On 02/09/2012 08:01 AM, Maupin, Chase wrote:
> [...]
Thanks, glad the proof of concept falls into the groups thinking as
well.  I will monitor for progress on the use of just the Yocto Linux
for this POC.  I've tested Angstrom, and while it works on Pandaboard
does not achieve what my goal is.

I did post another question regarding an error I got while building just
with Yocto. Not sure if a solution for it exists yet without going down
the Angstrom route as others have suggested.

Thanks again,

JIm A

@ 2012-02-09 13:54                   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: meta-ti

Op 9 feb. 2012, om 14:11 heeft jfabernathy het volgende geschreven:

> On 02/09/2012 08:01 AM, Maupin, Chase wrote:

Yocto or Poky? Because if you want yocto, angstrom very much *is* yocto. If you want Poky, that's something different.

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 15:21                     ` Maupin, Chase
From: Maupin, Chase @ 2012-02-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe it is fair to say that that we should be able to use meta-ti with only openembedded-core and also with openembedded-core + meta-yocto.  Basically if there is something in meta-ti that requires things in meta-angstrom then those should be moved to either meta-angstrom or meta-arago correct?

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 15:33                     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-02-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 14:54 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> >> Jim, you are welcome here.  As was mentioned before there have been
> a lot of discussions about this layer.  One of the goals for the
> meta-ti layer will be to work with just oe-core and yocto and not
> require meta-angstrom.  We are moving that direction and the use case
> you are trying and your experiences with it are important.  Thanks for
> taking the time to give this a shot.
> >>
> > Thanks, glad the proof of concept falls into the groups thinking as
> well.  I will monitor for progress on the use of just the Yocto Linux
> for this POC.
>
> Yocto or Poky? Because if you want yocto, angstrom very much *is*
> yocto. If you want Poky, that's something different.

I think there are a few things need to get cleared up here as this is
likely confusing for people.

The Yocto Project is the overall project which is working on improving
embedded Linux for people in whatever areas those improvements are
needed in. This involves things like eglibc, creating standard formats
for hardware definitions (BSPs) and has also involved some work on build
system which are derived from OpenEmbedded.

The Yocto Project uses Poky as its reference build system which is a
combination of Bitbake, OE-Core, a load of documentation and a very
small shim called meta-yocto. Its purpose is to provide a known good
base system people can build on top of by adding layers.

Angstrom is similar to Poky in that its a mix of components allowing
people to build things. It includes Bitbake and OE-Core and some other
pieces. It has an equivalent to meta-yocto with different functionality.
I'll let Koen as one of its maintainers describe what its purpose is.
One difference is that is has a specific set of hardware targets and
provides prebuilt package feeds which Poky does not (nor does the Yocto
Project).

meta-ti is intended as a hardware support layer for various TI products.

The trouble is that some of these components have been around for a
while and it hasn't always been possible to neatly layer things. In
particular, meta-ti historically has a dependency on Angstrom.

Work is underway to remove that dependency so meta-ti can operate freely
with both Poky and Angstrom, or just with OE-Core and Bitbake as
separate pieces. There is no architectural problem with this and it is
the intention of everyone involved. There is the question of sorting
some of the mechanics and making the change whilst not causing problems
for existing users. I'm really happy to see progress on this!

So in answer to Jim's question, you will be able to use meta-ti with
Poky directly but right now, there are some details being worked through
and it doesn't quite work. Perhaps we could mention that in the meta-ti
README so people can see what the plan is as well as the current
situation?

Cheers,

Richard

@ 2012-02-09 16:23                   ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2012-02-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

 On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM, William Mills <wmills@ti.com> wrote:
> As Gary said there has not been too many end user questions on meta-ti yet.

 All I care about is meta-ti as that is what all our products are based
 on.  I've been watching subject for a while now trying to discern all
 the issues and make a wise choice.

 I'm wanting to switch from Arago to whatever TI supports next as I
 supply the rest of our development team with tools and images that
 they build applications on for our products and I can't jerk them
 around changing distros.

 Regards,

 Brian

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 16:30                       ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-02-09 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: meta-ti

On 02/09/2012 10:33 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 14:54 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> a lot of discussions about this layer.  One of the goals for the
>> meta-ti layer will be to work with just oe-core and yocto and not
>> require meta-angstrom.  We are moving that direction and the use case
>> you are trying and your experiences with it are important.  Thanks for
>> taking the time to give this a shot.
>>> Thanks, glad the proof of concept falls into the groups thinking as
>> well.  I will monitor for progress on the use of just the Yocto Linux
>> for this POC.
>>
>> Yocto or Poky? Because if you want yocto, angstrom very much *is*
>> yocto. If you want Poky, that's something different.
> I think there are a few things need to get cleared up here as this is
> likely confusing for people.
>
> The Yocto Project is the overall project which is working on improving
> embedded Linux for people in whatever areas those improvements are
> needed in. This involves things like eglibc, creating standard formats
> for hardware definitions (BSPs) and has also involved some work on build
> system which are derived from OpenEmbedded.
>
> The Yocto Project uses Poky as its reference build system which is a
> combination of Bitbake, OE-Core, a load of documentation and a very
> small shim called meta-yocto. Its purpose is to provide a known good
> base system people can build on top of by adding layers.
>
> Angstrom is similar to Poky in that its a mix of components allowing
> people to build things. It includes Bitbake and OE-Core and some other
> pieces. It has an equivalent to meta-yocto with different functionality.
> I'll let Koen as one of its maintainers describe what its purpose is.
> One difference is that is has a specific set of hardware targets and
> provides prebuilt package feeds which Poky does not (nor does the Yocto
> Project).
>
> meta-ti is intended as a hardware support layer for various TI products.
>
> The trouble is that some of these components have been around for a
> while and it hasn't always been possible to neatly layer things. In
> particular, meta-ti historically has a dependency on Angstrom.
>
> Work is underway to remove that dependency so meta-ti can operate freely
> with both Poky and Angstrom, or just with OE-Core and Bitbake as
> separate pieces. There is no architectural problem with this and it is
> the intention of everyone involved. There is the question of sorting
> some of the mechanics and making the change whilst not causing problems
> for existing users. I'm really happy to see progress on this!
>
> So in answer to Jim's question, you will be able to use meta-ti with
> Poky directly but right now, there are some details being worked through
> and it doesn't quite work. Perhaps we could mention that in the meta-ti
> README so people can see what the plan is as well as the current
> situation?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

When you look at Yocto project from a marketing point of view, which is
not something the open source community usually concentrates on for
obvious reasons, it would be a very positive message to be able to talk
about, and demonstrate with examples of taking the same project and
moving it from one architecture to another with minimal effort, as long
as both architectures supported the key features like media playback
acceleration, 3D, sound, HDMI, etc.

While hardware companies tend to cringe when you make it too easy to
move back and forth, the reality is, if you have a high volume product
you can't justify or afford to throw excess performance, thermals,
power, and cost where it is not needed.  For example a cheap digital
signage application that just throws advertisement, or menu data on the
screen could be done with an ARM processor like OMP3/4, but if you had a
higher end product that needed to do extensive video analytics for
customer profiling and advertising effectiveness, you're going to want a
Core i5/i7.  It would be of great benefit to take the Yocto project that
did the digital sign on the ARM and quickly get it up and running on the
Core i5 and then concentrate on the analytics application.

I think this portability is a better sell, if it's all Yocto.  We all
know that really smart people can move around from different Linux
versions and development methods, but it's an easier sale to a customer
management when you say it can all be done on Yocto and that it's easily
demonstrated.

@ 2012-02-09 16:36                         ` Jack Mitchell
From: Jack Mitchell @ 2012-02-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 09/02/12 16:30, jfabernathy wrote:
> [...]
> power, and cost where it is not needed.  For example a cheap digital
> signage application that just throws advertisement, or menu data on
> the screen could be done with an ARM processor like OMP3/4, but if you
> had a higher end product that needed to do extensive video analytics
> for customer profiling and advertising effectiveness, you're going to
> want a Core i5/i7.  It would be of great benefit to take the Yocto
> project that did the digital sign on the ARM and quickly get it up and
> running on the Core i5 and then concentrate on the analytics application.
>
> I think this portability is a better sell, if it's all Yocto.  We all
> know that really smart people can move around from different Linux
> versions and development methods, but it's an easier sale to a
> customer management when you say it can all be done on Yocto and that

Jim,

This is the exact scenario that I am undergoing with my company. I am
attempting to use Yocto to prove platform mobility under Linux with a
common set of applications which can then be specialised on a per
product/hardware basis. It seems as though this is a very lucrative idea
with the speed of SoC development these days!

Regards,
Jack.

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 16:36                     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:23:14AM -0500, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
>  On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM, William Mills <wmills@ti.com> wrote:
> > As Gary said there has not been too many end user questions on meta-ti yet.
>
>  All I care about is meta-ti as that is what all our products are based
>  on. I've been watching subject for a while now trying to discern all
>  the issues and make a wise choice.

Brian,

>  I'm wanting to switch from Arago to whatever TI supports next as I
>  supply the rest of our development team with tools and images that
>  they build applications on for our products and I can't jerk them
>  around changing distros.

As you are aware, Arago is not going away - there is work going on in
meta-arago layer to update/port it to the new Yocto infrastructure.

Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)

--
Denys

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 16:53                         ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2012-02-09 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: meta-ti

On 02/09/2012 08:30 AM, jfabernathy wrote:

>> Richard
>>
> When you look at Yocto project from a marketing point of view, which is
> not something the open source community usually concentrates on for
> obvious reasons, it would be a very positive message to be able to talk
> about, and demonstrate with examples of taking the same project and
> moving it from one architecture to another with minimal effort, as long
> as both architectures supported the key features like media playback
> acceleration, 3D, sound, HDMI, etc.

Actually, at least some of us in the open source community pay close
attention to marketing.

> While hardware companies tend to cringe when you make it too easy to
> move back and forth, the reality is, if you have a high volume product
> you can't justify or afford to throw excess performance, thermals,
> power, and cost where it is not needed.  For example a cheap digital
> signage application that just throws advertisement, or menu data on the
> screen could be done with an ARM processor like OMP3/4, but if you had a
> higher end product that needed to do extensive video analytics for
> customer profiling and advertising effectiveness, you're going to want a
> Core i5/i7.  It would be of great benefit to take the Yocto project that
> did the digital sign on the ARM and quickly get it up and running on the
> Core i5 and then concentrate on the analytics application.
>
> I think this portability is a better sell, if it's all Yocto.  We all
> know that really smart people can move around from different Linux
> versions and development methods, but it's an easier sale to a customer
> management when you say it can all be done on Yocto and that it's easily
> demonstrated.

Yocto is becoming a very overloaded word at the moment. But the key idea
is that we can focus on building out from oe-core to support our
products using the same tools, no matter what the product scale. From
very simple devices to products that resemble their desktop brothers.

Philip

@ 2012-02-09 16:54                       ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2012-02-09 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:
> Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
> TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
> process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
> with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
> distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)

Hey Denys, good to hear from you again!

Sorry for totally hi-jacking this thread .... so what should be the
roadmap for someone like me who works on TI products and has to
generate images now?  Do I use Yocto with meta-ti and in the future
when the dust settles use Yocto with meta-arago?

I've heard bits and pieces of things changing but I guess I never knew
enough of the TI roadmap to know for sure what I should be doing so
that I steer our team/company in the right direction for all these
changes.  I'm currently using Arago to generate our images (separate
CSL toolchain (old), and the generated packages are old too).

Regards,

Brian

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 16:57                       ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-09 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 03:33:47PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 14:54 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > a lot of discussions about this layer.  One of the goals for the
> > meta-ti layer will be to work with just oe-core and yocto and not
> > require meta-angstrom.  We are moving that direction and the use case
> > you are trying and your experiences with it are important.  Thanks for
> > taking the time to give this a shot.
> > >>
> > > Thanks, glad the proof of concept falls into the groups thinking as
> > well.  I will monitor for progress on the use of just the Yocto Linux
> > for this POC.
> >
> > Yocto or Poky? Because if you want yocto, angstrom very much *is*
> > yocto. If you want Poky, that's something different.
>
> I think there are a few things need to get cleared up here as this is
> likely confusing for people.
>
> The Yocto Project is the overall project which is working on improving
> embedded Linux for people in whatever areas those improvements are
> needed in. This involves things like eglibc, creating standard formats
> for hardware definitions (BSPs) and has also involved some work on build
> system which are derived from OpenEmbedded.
>
> The Yocto Project uses Poky as its reference build system which is a
> combination of Bitbake, OE-Core, a load of documentation and a very
> small shim called meta-yocto. Its purpose is to provide a known good
> base system people can build on top of by adding layers.
>
> Angstrom is similar to Poky in that its a mix of components allowing
> people to build things. It includes Bitbake and OE-Core and some other
> pieces. It has an equivalent to meta-yocto with different functionality.
> I'll let Koen as one of its maintainers describe what its purpose is.
> One difference is that is has a specific set of hardware targets and
> provides prebuilt package feeds which Poky does not (nor does the Yocto
> Project).
>
> meta-ti is intended as a hardware support layer for various TI products.
>
> The trouble is that some of these components have been around for a
> while and it hasn't always been possible to neatly layer things. In
> particular, meta-ti historically has a dependency on Angstrom.
>
> Work is underway to remove that dependency so meta-ti can operate freely
> with both Poky and Angstrom, or just with OE-Core and Bitbake as
> separate pieces. There is no architectural problem with this and it is
> the intention of everyone involved. There is the question of sorting
> some of the mechanics and making the change whilst not causing problems
> for existing users. I'm really happy to see progress on this!
>
> So in answer to Jim's question, you will be able to use meta-ti with
> Poky directly but right now, there are some details being worked through
> and it doesn't quite work. Perhaps we could mention that in the meta-ti
> README so people can see what the plan is as well as the current
> situation?

Richard,

Thank you for such a detailed and constructive message!

I won't repeat what has been already said several times about our plans to
ensure meta-ti works with other distributions and OE-Core only...

I just wanted to clarify the historical dependency of meta-ti on Angstrom,
as it's initial focus, driven by Koen and Jason, was mostly on supporting
existing BeagleBoard platforms and recently released BeagleBone. The lack
of flexibility is rather unintentional. :)

--
Denys

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 16:59                       ` Philip Balister
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Philip Balister @ 2012-02-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On 02/09/2012 08:36 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:23:14AM -0500, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
>>  On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM, William Mills <wmills@ti.com> wrote:
>>> As Gary said there has not been too many end user questions on meta-ti yet.
>>
>>  All I care about is meta-ti as that is what all our products are based
>>  on. I've been watching subject for a while now trying to discern all
>>  the issues and make a wise choice.
>
> Brian,
>
>>  I'm wanting to switch from Arago to whatever TI supports next as I
>>  supply the rest of our development team with tools and images that
>>  they build applications on for our products and I can't jerk them
>>  around changing distros.
>
> As you are aware, Arago is not going away - there is work going on in
> meta-arago layer to update/port it to the new Yocto infrastructure.
>
> Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
> TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
> process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
> with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
> distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)

Denys, from my point of view, there are two issues we need to solve:

1) Defining the meta-ti toolchain dependencies. Angstrom uses gcc-4.5
for various reasons. Will the TI programs work against all gcc versions
available from oe-core/meta-oe?

2) Image construction pieces in oe-core are not all there yet. This is
what leads to angstrom specific bits creeping into the BSP layer. I've
talked with Paul Eggleton and Koen about this at FOSDEM. We should sit
down next week at ELC and see if we can come up with a set os tasks we
can push into oe-core that let all layer/distro combinations produce
working images.

Philip

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 17:05                         ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2012-02-09 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Balister; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org> wrote:

> .... We should sit
> down next week at ELC and see if we can come up with a set os tasks we

I'd like to sit in on this too ... maybe you guys could straighten me
out (maybe being the key word) :)

Regards,

Brian

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 17:12                         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-02-09 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

On 2012-02-09 09:59, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 08:36 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
>>>
>>>   All I care about is meta-ti as that is what all our products are based
>>>   on. I've been watching subject for a while now trying to discern all
>>>   the issues and make a wise choice.
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>>>   I'm wanting to switch from Arago to whatever TI supports next as I
>>>   supply the rest of our development team with tools and images that
>>>   they build applications on for our products and I can't jerk them
>>>   around changing distros.
>>
>> As you are aware, Arago is not going away - there is work going on in
>> meta-arago layer to update/port it to the new Yocto infrastructure.
>>
>> Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
>> TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
>> process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
>> with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
>> distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)
>>

> Denys, from my point of view, there are two issues we need to solve:
>
> 1) Defining the meta-ti toolchain dependencies. Angstrom uses gcc-4.5
> for various reasons. Will the TI programs work against all gcc versions
> available from oe-core/meta-oe?

I've had good luck with the meta-ti layer + Poky (oe-core & meta-yocto).
I have my own kernels (for other OMAP boards that are not mainline), so
I don't use the meta-ti kernel recipes, but I do use much of the rest,
including the DSP bits.

@ 2012-02-09 17:14                         ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Balister; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:59:51AM -0800, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 08:36 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> >>
> >>  All I care about is meta-ti as that is what all our products are based
> >>  on. I've been watching subject for a while now trying to discern all
> >>  the issues and make a wise choice.
> >
> > Brian,
> >
> >>  I'm wanting to switch from Arago to whatever TI supports next as I
> >>  supply the rest of our development team with tools and images that
> >>  they build applications on for our products and I can't jerk them
> >>  around changing distros.
> >
> > As you are aware, Arago is not going away - there is work going on in
> > meta-arago layer to update/port it to the new Yocto infrastructure.
> >
> > Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
> > TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
> > process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
> > with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
> > distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)
> >

> Denys, from my point of view, there are two issues we need to solve:

Philip,

These are very good points you raise!

> 1) Defining the meta-ti toolchain dependencies. Angstrom uses gcc-4.5
> for various reasons. Will the TI programs work against all gcc versions
> available from oe-core/meta-oe?

We've discussed it internally and with some of the other involved parties.
Right now gcc-4.5 with Linaro patches from meta-oe is still the recommended
toolchain. We need to validate gcc-4.6 from oe-core though. Few people (Bill
Mills and Khem Raj among others) are currently at Linaro Connect trying to
convince Linaro guys to get serios and provide an official meta-linaro layer
for Yocto.

> 2) Image construction pieces in oe-core are not all there yet. This is
> what leads to angstrom specific bits creeping into the BSP layer. I've
> talked with Paul Eggleton and Koen about this at FOSDEM. We should sit
> down next week at ELC and see if we can come up with a set os tasks we
> can push into oe-core that let all layer/distro combinations produce
> working images.

Some work has already started in regards to tasks and images in meta-ti and
meta-arago to clean them up and simplify the dependencies. I agree, there is a
need for a better framework from OE-Core to define base tasks and avoid
cluttering BSP layers with distro-specific dependencies. Let's talk next week
at ELC.

--
Denys

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 17:15                           ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-09 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:12:21AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2012-02-09 09:59, Philip Balister wrote:

> >>Brian,

> >>As you are aware, Arago is not going away - there is work going on in
> >>meta-arago layer to update/port it to the new Yocto infrastructure.
> >>
> >>Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
> >>TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
> >>process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
> >>with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
> >>distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)
> >>

> >Denys, from my point of view, there are two issues we need to solve:
> >
> >1) Defining the meta-ti toolchain dependencies. Angstrom uses gcc-4.5
> >for various reasons. Will the TI programs work against all gcc versions
> >available from oe-core/meta-oe?
>
> I've had good luck with the meta-ti layer + Poky (oe-core & meta-yocto).
> I have my own kernels (for other OMAP boards that are not mainline), so
> I don't use the meta-ti kernel recipes, but I do use much of the rest,
> including the DSP bits.

Can you elaborate on what your custom kernels are based on? Thanks.

--
Denys

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 17:25                             ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-02-09 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On 2012-02-09 10:15, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:12:21AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

>>> Denys, from my point of view, there are two issues we need to solve:
>>>
>>> 1) Defining the meta-ti toolchain dependencies. Angstrom uses gcc-4.5
>>> for various reasons. Will the TI programs work against all gcc versions
>>> available from oe-core/meta-oe?
>>
>> I've had good luck with the meta-ti layer + Poky (oe-core&  meta-yocto).
>> I have my own kernels (for other OMAP boards that are not mainline), so
>> I don't use the meta-ti kernel recipes, but I do use much of the rest,
>> including the DSP bits.
>
> Can you elaborate on what your custom kernels are based on? Thanks.

Stock 3.0 (mainline) plus some local enhancements, board support, etc.
We also use Poky as the baseline for other products which are PowerPC based.

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 17:53                         ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 11:54:37AM -0500, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:
> > Arago/meta-arago is still going to be the official platform distribution for
> > TI SDK products. But, a separate meta-ti layer was created early in the
> > process to detach and unify the BSP layer and allow people to use TI hardware
> > with different distributions. And that's actually part of the problem, as
> > distributions like religions conflict with each other in a single layer... :)
>
> Hey Denys, good to hear from you again!

Brian, nice to talk to you again!

> Sorry for totally hi-jacking this thread .... so what should be the
> roadmap for someone like me who works on TI products and has to
> generate images now?  Do I use Yocto with meta-ti and in the future
> when the dust settles use Yocto with meta-arago?

First, meta-arago is not meant to replace meta-ti, it's meant to complement
it. Yocto Project makes heavy use of layers and there are different types of
layers - base, BSP, apps and distro. There used to be a visual diagram of how
layers stack on top of one another, but I can't find it now. There is a nice
comprehesive list of known layers, grouped by their type:
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex

With that in mind, meta-ti is meant to be a pure BSP layer, while meta-arago
is shaping up to contain 2 sub-layers - distro one and extra sw apps one.

You'd be able to use meta-ti in different combinations of layers with
different distro layers - none, angstrom, arago and poky/yocto. When meta-ti
is used together with meta-arago distro, it should provide the same features
and same functionality as old Arago.

All this is within realms of the Yocto Project. Sometimes it's confusing when
one refers to Yocto as a wider framework and the build sytem, vs. Yocto/Poky
as a distribution layer and/or reference release... Please refer to Richard's
earlier email in this thread for further clarification.

> I've heard bits and pieces of things changing but I guess I never knew
> enough of the TI roadmap to know for sure what I should be doing so
> that I steer our team/company in the right direction for all these
> changes.  I'm currently using Arago to generate our images (separate
> CSL toolchain (old), and the generated packages are old too).

The old Arago, which is based on the Classic OpenEmbedded, is used by several
TI SDK products. Mostly due to the continuing support and maintenance of the
existing products, the new development had constrained resources and slow
progress.

--
Denys

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 18:17                           ` Jeff Osier-Mixon
From: Jeff Osier-Mixon @ 2012-02-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hutchinson; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org>
> wrote:
>
> > .... We should sit
> > down next week at ELC and see if we can come up with a set os tasks we
>
> I'd like to sit in on this too ... maybe you guys could straighten me
> out (maybe being the key word) :)

I would very much like to sit in the corner and take notes. I'll even buy a
round. :)

> Regards,
>
> Brian

Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 18:20                             ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Osier-Mixon; +Cc: meta-ti

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:17:15AM -0800, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > .... We should sit
> > > down next week at ELC and see if we can come up with a set os tasks we
> >
> > I'd like to sit in on this too ... maybe you guys could straighten me
> > out (maybe being the key word) :)
> >

> I would very much like to sit in the corner and take notes. I'll even buy a
> round. :)

Can you get us a room then? :)

--
Denys

* Re: building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-09 18:23                               ` Jeff Osier-Mixon
From: Jeff Osier-Mixon @ 2012-02-09 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

Absolutely, just name a time

--

@ 2012-03-06  2:20                                       ` Brian Hutchinson
From: Brian Hutchinson @ 2012-03-06  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org> wrote:

> I'd wait for now for any other confirmations or onjections before pushing it
> to meta-ti master. Thanks.

I'm trying to follow all this and translate it to Netra (I know,
probably big mistake) since I don't have Panda.  I'm on Debian too.

* Re: Building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-03-06  1:39                                     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-03-06  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 05:28:33PM -0500, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 09:31:30PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> > > Anyone else is seeing this on Panda's 3.1 kernel in do_install? Using GNU make
> > > 3.82, but seems SECONDEXPANSION with PHONY rules don't work...
> >
> > I'm seeing it on my fedora machines, but not in my debian machines. Tweaking
> > the defconfig usually helps
>
> Koen,
>
> Can you please test if the patch I just sent fixes the issue for your Fedora,
> but doesn't break your Debian builds? Thanks.

My testing so far:

I see the previously mentioned breakage on my up-to-date Gentoo system with
make 3.82, but it works w/o any problems on Ubuntu 10.04 with make 3.81.

After applying the patch I sent to the list, the breakage on Gentoo is gone
and Ubuntu still builds fine.

@ 2012-03-05 22:28                                   ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-03-05 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 20:31                                 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-03-05 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

>>> ok, i can see the new content and i just pulled into meta-ti and
>>> meta-openembedded.  so, starting all over again, is there now a
>>> known recipe for building for the panda with a minimum of
>>> customziation?
>>
>> Yes, use the setup-scripts mentioned in the wiki, zero customization needed.
>
> Anyone else is seeing this on Panda's 3.1 kernel in do_install? Using GNU make
> 3.82, but seems SECONDEXPANSION with PHONY rules don't work...

I'm seeing it on my fedora machines, but not in my debian machines. Tweaking the defconfig usually helps

regards,

Koen

@ 2012-03-05 20:29                               ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-03-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 20:26                             ` Marc Butler
From: Marc Butler @ 2012-03-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 12:13:59PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

> > > Yes, you'll also get a newer kernel (3.0.2 last I looked, not 2.6.35)
> >
> > FYI, there is already 3.1 for Panda in meta-ti with -1 D_P...
>
>   ok, i can see the new content and i just pulled into meta-ti and
> meta-openembedded.  so, starting all over again, is there now a
> known recipe for building for the panda with a minimum of
> customziation?
>
>   i think i'm going to start a new wiki page. :-)

If this works for you, I would be eager to know the process. And happy
to verify in another environment.

-m

* Re: Building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-03-05 17:15                             ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-03-05 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Op 5 mrt. 2012, om 18:13 heeft Robert P. J. Day het volgende geschreven:

@ 2012-03-05 17:13                           ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-05 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denys Dmytriyenko; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 09:43:13AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > >   i noticed that koen just submitted a sizable patch that gets rid of
> > >that conf file for the panda, and standardizes on the pandaboard.conf
> > >file (at least that's what it looked like).
> > >
> > >   under the circumstances, it might be worth just waiting until that
> > >patch works its way through the system and start testing all over
> > >again when it hits.
> >
> > Yes, you'll also get a newer kernel (3.0.2 last I looked, not 2.6.35)
>
> FYI, there is already 3.1 for Panda in meta-ti with -1 D_P...

  ok, i can see the new content and i just pulled into meta-ti and
meta-openembedded.  so, starting all over again, is there now a
known recipe for building for the panda with a minimum of
customziation?

  i think i'm going to start a new wiki page. :-)

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: Building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-03-05 16:58                         ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-03-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 16:43                       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-03-05 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 16:39                     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Schulenberg; +Cc: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 15:48                         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-05 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Schulenberg; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Christian.Schulenberg@bmw.de wrote:

> No, as I wrote previously, the compiler error I have belongs to the
> source code of the bootloader (seems to be a problem with structure
> aligning). The problem you have is in the kernel.

  i know ... my question was why you *weren't* getting that build
error.  i'm speculating that when you switched back to gcc 4.5 to
solve the u-boot issue, you might have avoided the perf build error as
well.

  i'm trying a gcc 4.5 build right now.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: Building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-03-05 15:29                       ` Christian.Schulenberg
From: Christian.Schulenberg @ 2012-03-05 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpjday; +Cc: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 15:16                     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-05 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Schulenberg; +Cc: meta-ti

@ 2012-03-05 14:21                   ` Christian.Schulenberg

From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-03-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

  "

@ 2012-03-05  8:58               ` Christian.Schulenberg
From: Christian.Schulenberg @ 2012-03-05  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

Hi,

finally, I managed to bring up the Pandaboard with the meta-ti layer by myself. For all of you, who are facing the same problems and who don't want to use Angstrom, here are some hints, how to do this just using Yocto Poky:

Remove systemd in local.conf as mentioned above.

I used machine configuration for "omap4430-panda", because machine "pandaboard" did not build the kernel. Because this configuration use the sakoman bootloader, which caused some trouble for me, I switched over to (denx) u-boot.

Use gcc4.5 instead of gcc4.6. The reason for this is a compiler error that came up when compiling the u-boot bootloader. You can change the compiler in ./meta/conf/distro/include/tcmode-default.inc , variable GCCVERSION. Another alternative might be patching the gcc4.6, because there is already a fix for this compiler error.

In the kernel configuration I needed to switch off lzop_native (CONFIG_KERNEL_LZO).

I removed ofono from the image, because I don't need it and it is just causing trouble.

I needed to remove netbase and alsa-state as well.

With these changes I got an image for my Pandaboard and the corresponding bootloader. I worked around some problems, by just removing packages. This is acceptable for a first shot, in the next steps I need to implement at least systemd. On the other hand, I see that Koen changed the system configuration (e.g.: CONFIG_KERNEL_LZO) as well as the competing machine configurations omap4430-panda and pandaboard. May be, I'll give this update a try.

Best regards,
Christian

* Re: Building Yocto for Pandaboard
@ 2012-02-28  8:15             ` Christian.Schulenberg
From: Christian.Schulenberg @ 2012-02-28  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koen, meta-ti

I'm not talking about angstrom, I'm talking about cross dependencies between poky and angstrom when using the meta-ti layer.

From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-28  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

@ 2012-02-28  7:52         ` Christian.Schulenberg
From: Christian.Schulenberg @ 2012-02-28  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wmills, koen; +Cc: meta-ti

Thanks a lot for your replies. Angstrom is definitely not the way I want to go at the moment, because I prefer to have a clean architecture in my project. So I have to wait, until the meta-ti layer is fixed to work with Poky without any dependencies to angstrom. Do you have any idea, how long this can take?

May be, in the meantime I try to fix some problems on my own to get Pandaboard working, because I really need to set up this device as a prototyping unit.

BR,
Christian

From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2012-02-27 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Mills; +Cc: meta-ti

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:06:09PM -0500, William Mills wrote:
> >>The README contains instructions for building Angstrom, which is not the
> >>right answer for everyone trying to use meta-ti.
> >Since the recipe in question break with gcc 4.6 and/or binutils 2.22 *and* you need SOC_FAMILY in overrides angstrom is the only "out of the box" option. Other routes will involve heavy patching. I agree that needs to be addressed, but it doesn't change the solution *right now*.
> >
> >And the instructions in the README set things for 'yocto', which is what people are asking for. If they asked for 'poky', that would be a totally different thing.
>
> Denis or Koen:  Before today is over please modify the README.txt to
> describe where we are going and what is possible right now.  If
> Angstrom is the only thing possible right now it should say that
> until we can build with other layer stacks.  However it should also
> say that we are working toward a solution that will build with
> multiple layer stacks including poky.

Sure, will do.

--
Denys