* some questions about sound system
       [not found] <AANLkTinPWzmmaP9OrHLKbZqCgGQuSGrpqUPtdW2Qi8ov@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-07-30 19:56 ` loody
From: loody @ 2010-07-30 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Dear all:
I just install Ubuntu9.10 on my laptop and I try to update my sound
system and recompile the utility.
there are some questions I met:
1. when configure the  utility
   it says

checking panel.h presence... no
checking for panel.h... no
configure: error: required curses helper header not found

and config.log is

"conftest.c:10:42: error: CoreFoundation/CFPreferences.h: No such file
or directory
conftest.c: In function 'main':
conftest.c:14: error: 'NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)
conftest.c:14: error: (Each undeclared identifier is repor"

the above error seems I miss install some package before.
I google the name but I have no improvement.

"conftest.c:20:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
configure:7397: $? = 1"

the above error seems the header located where the conftest.c doesn't expect.

how could solve them all?

2. there are some configure file in share when I compile advance linux
sound architecture.
like alsa.conf.
have anyone know where I can find the naming rule?
appreciate your help,
miloody

* Re: some questions about sound system
@ 2010-07-30 19:59   ` Daniel Chen
From: Daniel Chen @ 2010-07-30 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loody; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. when configure the  utility
>    it says
>
> checking panel.h presence... no
> checking for panel.h... no
> configure: error: required curses helper header not found

$ sudo apt-get build-dep alsa-utils

> 2. there are some configure file in share when I compile advance linux
> sound architecture.
> like alsa.conf.
> have anyone know where I can find the naming rule?

These correspond to the card names.

-Dan

* Re: some questions about sound system
@ 2010-07-31 16:21     ` loody
From: loody @ 2010-07-31 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Chen; +Cc: alsa-devel

hi:

2010/7/31 Daniel Chen <seven.steps@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. when configure the  utility
>>    it says
>>
>> checking panel.h presence... no
>> checking for panel.h... no
>> configure: error: required curses helper header not found
>
> $ sudo apt-get build-dep alsa-utils
I have tried the cmd you mention above.
But I still get the error message as :

checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking panel.h usability... yes
checking panel.h presence... yes
checking for panel.h... yes
checking menu.h usability... yes
checking menu.h presence... yes
checking for menu.h... yes
checking form.h usability... yes
checking form.h presence... yes
checking for form.h... yes
checking for new_panel in -lpanelw... no
configure: error: panelw library not found

Should I download the panelw library and compile it?
if so, where I can get it?
appreciate your help,
miloody

>> 2. there are some configure file in share when I compile advance linux
>> sound architecture.
>> like alsa.conf.
>> have anyone know where I can find the naming rule?
>
> These correspond to the card names.
>
> -Dan

* Re: some questions about sound system
@ 2010-07-31 16:31       ` Daniel Chen
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Chen @ 2010-07-31 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loody; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
> checking for new_panel in -lpanelw... no
> configure: error: panelw library not found

$ sudo aptitude install libncurses5-dev

* Re: some questions about sound system
@ 2010-07-31 23:25         ` loody
From: loody @ 2010-07-31 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Chen; +Cc: alsa-devel

hi:

2010/8/1 Daniel Chen <seven.steps@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> checking for new_panel in -lpanelw... no
>> configure: error: panelw library not found
>
> $ sudo aptitude install libncurses5-dev

it seems I have already get it before:

$ sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libncurses5-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 291 not upgraded.
$

thanks for your help,

@ 2010-08-01  8:22         ` David Henningsson
From: David Henningsson @ 2010-08-01  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: loody; +Cc: Daniel Chen, alsa-devel

2010-07-31 18:31, Daniel Chen skrev:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> checking for new_panel in -lpanelw... no
>> configure: error: panelw library not found
>
> $ sudo aptitude install libncurses5-dev

Also try installing libncursesw5-dev. There was a change in build
dependencies between karmic and lucid, so the newest version of ALSA
likely requires ncursesw5 whereas the version shipped with karmic only
required ncurses5.

Note that if you only need the kernel part of ALSA, Ubuntu has prebuilt
packages both for 1.0.23 and the latest snapshot.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

* Re: some questions about sound system
@ 2011-03-09  6:23         ` kuberasamrat
From: kuberasamrat @ 2011-03-09  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

sudo apt-get install ncursesw5-dev

Daniel Chen <seven.steps <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM, loody <miloody <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > checking for new_panel in -lpanelw... no
> > configure: error: panelw library not found
>
> $ sudo aptitude install libncurses5-dev

instead of ncurses5-dev      install ncursesw5-dev
it will work

* Re: some questions about sound system
@ 2011-03-17  7:01           ` loody
From: loody @ 2011-03-17  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kuberasamrat; +Cc: alsa-devel

hi all:

2011/3/9 kuberasamrat <kubera.samrat@gmail.com>:

> sudo apt-get install ncursesw5-dev
>
> Daniel Chen <seven.steps <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM, loody <miloody <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> > checking for new_panel in -lpanelw... no
>> > configure: error: panelw library not found
>>
>> $ sudo aptitude install libncurses5-dev
>>

> instead of ncurses5-dev      install ncursesw5-dev
> it will work

My ubuntu cannot the package.
I use ubuntu 9.10.

$ sudo apt-get install ncursesw5-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ncursesw5-dev
$

Is this package not supported in ubuntu9.10?