* [U-Boot] Kernel copy from NOR to RAM
@ 2010-08-23 14:48 Nicolas Luna
From: Nicolas Luna @ 2010-08-23 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi guys,

I'm using OMAP-L138 (ARM based) with NOR flash and I'll like to know in
which file uboot copies kernel from NOR to RAM?

Thanks

Nicolas

* [U-Boot] Kernel copy from NOR to RAM
@ 2010-08-23 15:04 ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2010-08-23 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Le 23/08/2010 16:48, Nicolas Luna a ?crit :
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm using OMAP-L138 (ARM based) with NOR flash and I'll like to know in
> which file uboot copies kernel from NOR to RAM?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nicolas

Nicolas,

Your question, as it is expressed, does not make much sense to me. What
kind of 'file' are you talking about exactly? and what kernel to you
mean? the Linux kernel?

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] Kernel copy from NOR to RAM
@ 2010-08-23 15:14   ` Nicolas Luna
From: Nicolas Luna @ 2010-08-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Ok

I would like to improve the copy of linux kernel from NOR to RAM. I would
like to replace the current copy and use EDMA instead. I traced the uboot
code but I can't find in which file (uboot source code) the copy (from NOR
to RAM) takes place.

Thanks.

Regards,
Nicolas

@ 2010-08-23 15:16     ` Nishanth Menon
From: Nishanth Menon @ 2010-08-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Nicolas Luna <luna.id@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok
>
> I would like to improve the copy of linux kernel from NOR to RAM. I would
> like to replace the current copy and use EDMA instead. I traced the uboot
> code but I can't find in which file (uboot source code) the copy (from NOR
> to RAM) takes place.

usually is done with the command cp -> copy command - as this is
usually a memory to memory copy operation.

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Nicolas
>

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud@free.fr>wrote:

please stop top posting..

Regards,
Nishanth Menon

* [U-Boot] Kernel copy from NOR to RAM
@ 2010-08-23 15:19       ` Nicolas Luna
From: Nicolas Luna @ 2010-08-23 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Well I mean at the boot time not in uboot prompt.

Regards,
Nicolas

@ 2010-08-23 15:24         ` Rogan Dawes
From: Rogan Dawes @ 2010-08-23 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 2010/08/23 5:19 PM, Nicolas Luna wrote:
> Well I mean at the boot time not in uboot prompt.
>
> Regards,
> Nicolas

The cp command may be executed as part of the automatic boot script.
Alternatively, the bootm command may perform the copy from NOR to RAM
automatically as part of the boot sequence.

Take a look at cmd_bootm.c.

It may be platform dependent, though. What architecture are you working
with?

Rogan

* [U-Boot] Kernel copy from NOR to RAM
@ 2010-08-23 15:28 ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2010-08-23 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Nicolas,

> I'm using OMAP-L138 (ARM based) with NOR flash and I'll like to know in
> which file uboot copies kernel from NOR to RAM?

This will be the UBL which runs before U-Boot gets a chance to run.
Just before Stefano Babic's work on the dm365 platform all davinci
U-Boot ports configured CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT and thus relied on
being loaded by some other entity into RAM to the link address specified
during compilation.  In such setups U-Boot is actually a payload in an
AIS image.

There is some documentation out there on the web ([1], esp. [2]) - if
you have further questions, go ahead ;)

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Category:OMAPL1
[2] http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Serial_Boot_and_Flash_Loading_Utility_for_OMAP-L138

--
Deutsches Grundgesetz Artikel 21 Absatz 1:
Die Parteien wirken bei der politischen Willensbildung des Volkes mit. Ihre

* [U-Boot] Kernel copy from NOR to RAM
@ 2010-08-23 15:38   ` Nicolas Luna
From: Nicolas Luna @ 2010-08-23 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In fact I'm using OMAPL138 platform and I think that it is not UBL that is
copying kernel under that platform.

I have been able to find the kernel image relocation in cmd_bootm.c but that
is not the inital copy.

I added printf/puts into the code to find where exactly it happens and my
last print before the copy is displayed from

file: hush.c
function: static int run_pipe_real(struct pipe *pi)
line: rcode = (cmdtp->cmd) (cmdtp, flag,child->argc-i,&child->argv[i]);

This is a function pointer and I just don't know where it jumps and it's
what I trying to find.

Any idea?

Thanks

Nicolas

@ 2010-08-23 18:13     ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2010-08-23 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Nicolas Luna wrote:
> In fact I'm using OMAPL138 platform and I think that it is not UBL that is
> copying kernel under that platform.

The UBL set up the processor in a fixed way, and have no knowledge about
the kernel. It loads u-boot, and the kernel is copied inside u-boot.

> I added printf/puts into the code to find where exactly it happens and my
> last print before the copy is displayed from
>
> file: hush.c
> function: static int run_pipe_real(struct pipe *pi)
> line: rcode = (cmdtp->cmd) (cmdtp, flag,child->argc-i,&child->argv[i]);
>
> This is a function pointer and I just don't know where it jumps and it's
> what I trying to find.

Of course, you find only the point where the shell starts the function
executing a command. However, as already reported, you have to take a
look to the "cp" command, whose function do_mem_cp is in common/cmd_mem.c.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de