* RPM package for AX25 libraries
       [not found] <1283497123.3761.50.camel@hydra>
@ 2010-09-14 21:29 ` Bernard Pidoux
From: Bernard Pidoux @ 2010-09-14 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Ernst; +Cc: zl2arn, iandouglasg3nid, rein, linux-hams

Hi Arno,

You encouraged me to build an RPM package for AX25 softwares.
I tried without success checkinstall and went to rpmbuild following
a few documentation and RPM howtos.
I decided to start with libax25-0.0.12-rc2 including two patches from me.
After a number of trials, the learning curve started to take off.
I finally made two RPM packages for 32 and 64 bits systems.
Due to my tiny experience I was not able to make a relocatable library.
Then it has to be moved into /usr/local/lib as explained in the updated
FPAC MINI HOWTO chapter 3.

http://rose.fpac.free.fr/MINI-HOWTO/#s3

Please follow the links for downloading the libax25 rpm packages.

I would appreciate any comment about the packages use and if needed
I will continue the work for patched ax25-tools and ax25-apps.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 03/09/2010 08:58, Arno Ernst a écrit :
> Dear Bernard,
>
> Many thanks for your ax25 patches and the great HOWTO which really help
> to get Packet Radio running with the (new) pseudo terminal multiplexer !
>
> Users who followed the steps outlined at
>
>       http://rose.fpac.free.fr/MINI-HOWTO/
>
> might face difficulties when installing other software that depends on
> ax25 libraries, tools and applications. The package manager is not aware
> that the latter already has been installed from source.
>
> A nice way out is to use  "checkinstall" instead of "make install".
>
> "checkinstall" will create a package (Slackware, RPM or Debian) which
> then can be installed with the package manager of the user's Linux
> distribution.
>
> Most distributions already have "checkinstall" in their repositories. If
> not the homepage is
>
>         http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
>

> Could you please add "checkinstall" to your MINI-HOWTO ?
>

> Below please find a sample "checkinstall" dialogue.
>
> mni tnx es 73 de experimental station DA5UWG sysop DF3DS
>
> arno

* Re: RPM package for AX25 libraries
@ 2010-09-15 15:14   ` Arno Ernst
From: Arno Ernst @ 2010-09-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Pidoux; +Cc: DK2CRN, zl2arn, iandouglasg3nid, rein, linux-hams

Hi Bernard,

Many thanks for your feedback and effort on ax.25.

With success I tried "checkinstall" without any parameters instead of
"make install" in the respective source directory on both opensuse 11.3
and Ubuntu 10.04. In one case - I forgot wether it was opensuse or
ubuntu the package created by "checkinstall" was automatically installed
whereas in the other case I manually had to install.

Just recently I came across that Christoph (DK2CRN) did work on the
pseudo terminal multiplexer (Unix98 PTY) capability of the Linux
net-tools package.

With his patches "slattach" with Unix98 PTY support was compiled here
which was needed to get xnet/linuxnet as a software (telnet) interface
from pskmail_server to ax.25 working.

Maybe this links is also of interest to you.

   http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/CVS

73 es tnx agn

arno