* git-p4
@ 2010-09-10 19:54 Kent Borg
From: Kent Borg @ 2010-09-10 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a git-p4 question: I work in a Perforce shop and am doing Linux
kernel work, I need to share that work with colleagues who see the world
as a Perforce place.  The kernel I have came from Linus' tree and has a
lot of history.  When I try to do my first a "git p4 submit" it chokes
as it looks back in the entire git history until it fails looking for
the ancestor of the first commit (linux-2.6.12-rc2!), I think it is
looking for the last time it did a git-p4 submit so it knows how far
back to go--but it has never done a submit in this new relationship
between p4 and git.  There is plenty of git history that is not
reflected in p4, and I don't want it in p4, I just want new work in p4.

I fear that git-p4 is for git people to contribute to bits natively
p4-homed code, not this case where the code is natively git-homed code
and it is the p4 people who will be contributing bits.

My attempt at a work around was this:

 - create a director on the p4 side, and from the p4 side submit the
files that match my latest git submit.

 - sync with git-p4

 - try to submit a file with git-p4...and that fails as it runs all the
way back through the history.  (Thank goodness it didn't succeed in
submitting kernel activity since 2005!)

I was hoping I could merge the p4/master with master to force a stopping
point in the git-p4 submit, but that doesn't work, it is searching
through git history to find the stopping point.  What might I put in the
git history to force the stop (or maybe make a change to git-p4 to help
my plight along)?

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who has always hated Perforce, alas.

* git-p4
@ 2008-09-07 13:17 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-09-07 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GIT

Hi,
 I am eager to have a full blown git-p4 with ability to _seamlessly_ submit to perforce. The one way pulling of p4 changesets to git works fine except for the un-expanding of RCS keywords like "$Id: ......$" to "$Id$". When submiting back to p4, the file would not have recorded any diff in the keyword which would have changed in p4 due to modifications. Applying the patch during the submission process fails. Also, the 'git-p4 submit --continue' fails saying that '--continue' is an invalid argument.
 I can work on fixing these issues but need help from someone with knowledge of this script 'git-p4'. I have basic expereince in git and am a newbie in p4. I am willing to invest my time in this area. I have written a p4 to hg converter in perl which I have been using. I feel git-p4 is more complete than the script I have written especially in handling file mode.

-dhruva

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on http://help.yahoo..com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/

* git-p4
@ 2008-09-07 13:17 dhruva