* is there some kind of standard for "inline" these days?
@ 2010-10-31 17:46 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2010-10-31 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

  i asked about this some time ago and i'm curious -- is there a
simple standard for the use of "inline" in kernel code.  as of now,
there are still uses of all of inline, __inline__ and __inline, as
well as __always_inline and, now, in "staging", we have the ugly
spectre of:

  #define INLINE    __inline

in a few places.

  is there a simple rule for what inline definition and usage would be
in a perfect world?  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: is there some kind of standard for "inline" these days?
@ 2010-10-31 18:08 ` Stefan Richter
From: Stefan Richter @ 2010-10-31 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i asked about this some time ago and i'm curious -- is there a
> simple standard for the use of "inline" in kernel code.  as of now,
> there are still uses of all of inline, __inline__ and __inline,

"grep inline include/linux/kernel.h" looks like a good guidance.

See also the C99 standard and maybe
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Alternate-Keywords.html .
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-==-=- =-=- =====

* Re: is there some kind of standard for "inline" these days?
@ 2010-10-31 18:13   ` Stefan Richter
From: Stefan Richter @ 2010-10-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Richter wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   i asked about this some time ago and i'm curious -- is there a
>> simple standard for the use of "inline" in kernel code.  as of now,
>> there are still uses of all of inline, __inline__ and __inline,
>
> "grep inline include/linux/kernel.h" looks like a good guidance.
>
> See also the C99 standard and maybe
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Alternate-Keywords.html .

PS:  drivers/staging/ is probably the only place that is worth a
normalization.  There is always bugzilla.kernel.org for those with time to spare.
--
Stefan Richter