From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686@mclink.it>
To: "Nicolas de Pesloüan" <nicolas.2p.debian@free.fr>
Cc: bridge@lists.linux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [Bridge] Transparent wired/wirless bridge: is it possible?
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:40:22 +0100	[thread overview]

  Il 31/10/2010 00:16, Nicolas de Pesloüan ha scritto:
> Le 30/10/2010 18:20, Mauro Condarelli a écrit :
>>
>> I tried something like:
>> =====================
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> auto wlan2
>> iface wlan2 inet manual
>> up /usr/sbin/service hostapd start
>> up /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 up
>> down /sbin/ifconfig wlan2 down
>> down /usr/sbin/service hostapd stop
>>
>> auto eth2
>> iface eth2 inet manual
>> up /sbin/ifconfig eth2 up
>> down /sbin/ifconfig eth2 down
>>
>> auto br0
>> iface br0 inet dhcp
>> bridge_ports eth2 wlan2
>> bridge_maxwait 0
>> =====================
>> ... but it does not seem to work as hoped.
>
> Consider reading
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bridge,
> in particular the following sections :
>
> - 7.11 What can be bridged?
> - 7.16 It doesn't work with my Wireless card!
> - 7.17 I still don't understand!!
>
>     Nicolas.
Thanks for the pointer.
I assume the short answer (gleamed from the above link) is: "this can't
be done (easily)".

I have it working now without bridges using hostapd, dnsmasq and a
static route in the upstream router (ipfire).

This has the (small) drawback I have a second subnet and a largely
useless dnsmaq installed.

My setup is with a separate firewall (ipfire) connected to the Internet;
on the GREEN LAN I have another server with an "Atheros Communications
Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)" managed via
ath9k and hostapd.
On "server" (ubuntu-workstation 10.10; I had some problems convincing
NetworkManager not to meddle with the interfaces) I have:
========================
auto wlan2
iface wlan2 inet static
     address 192.168.2.1
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 192.168.2.255

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp # gets address from ipfire in the range
192.168.1.100-129
========================
IPV4 routing is enabled.
hostapd and dnsmasq are set and configured.

On "ipfire" I have the additional static route
route add -net 192.168.2.0/24 gw server

Any comment?
Can I simplify?
Is this The Right Way to go?