* [ath9k-devel] TX packets dropped
@ 2010-11-21  7:08 David Ehrmann
From: David Ehrmann @ 2010-11-21  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I have an AR9220 mini PCI card (Sparklan WMIA-198n) on an Alix 3d2 board
running OpenWrt (2.6.32.25 kernel).  I set up the radio in AP mode, give
it encryption, then connected with another computer with an Intel
802.11n card.  The connection wasn't reliable, so I tested it with
iperf.  When the client sends packets, they almost all make it, but when
the AP sends them, no more than 66% make it.  I'm trying to figure out
what the problem could be.  It shouldn't be interference--this is in a
5ghz band, and RX was fine.  It could be a bad pigtail or antenna, but
I'm not sure how I can test for that.  It might be the motherboard's
power supply, so I'm looking into how many watts it can supply (the card
specs say it takes ~2.5 watts).  I tried forcing 802.11g mode, and the
issue was still there, and I dropped TX power, but it didn't seem to
affect anything.

Any ideas?  Is there a way to check stats on each antenna?

* [ath9k-devel] TX packets dropped
@ 2010-11-22  0:51 ` Brian Prodoehl
From: Brian Prodoehl @ 2010-11-22  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:08 AM, David Ehrmann <ehrmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an AR9220 mini PCI card (Sparklan WMIA-198n) on an Alix 3d2 board
> running OpenWrt (2.6.32.25 kernel). ?I set up the radio in AP mode, give
> it encryption, then connected with another computer with an Intel
> 802.11n card. ?The connection wasn't reliable, so I tested it with
> iperf. ?When the client sends packets, they almost all make it, but when
> the AP sends them, no more than 66% make it. ?I'm trying to figure out
> what the problem could be. ?It shouldn't be interference--this is in a
> 5ghz band, and RX was fine. ?It could be a bad pigtail or antenna, but
> I'm not sure how I can test for that. ?It might be the motherboard's
> power supply, so I'm looking into how many watts it can supply (the card
> specs say it takes ~2.5 watts). ?I tried forcing 802.11g mode, and the
> issue was still there, and I dropped TX power, but it didn't seem to
> affect anything.
>
> Any ideas? ?Is there a way to check stats on each antenna?

What do ping times look like between AP and client?  I'm seeing
similar behavior with OpenWrt trunk (r24043) and an AP with an AR9160
chip.  I'm having TX traffic queue up on the AP for seconds at a time,
so I'll have periods of no traffic at all, and then all the pings will
come through at once, with times of 8s, 7s, 6s, 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s, 1s,
and 1.97ms or whatever.  I have two other APs here with different
drivers and chipsets that don't exhibit this.  I don't remember seeing
this with recent builds of backfire, so maybe its a relatively recent
regression in OpenWrt.  You're running trunk, right?  What svn rev?

* [ath9k-devel] TX packets dropped
@ 2010-11-22  3:38   ` David Ehrmann
From: David Ehrmann @ 2010-11-22  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 11/21/2010 4:51 PM, Brian Prodoehl wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:08 AM, David Ehrmann<ehrmann@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I have an AR9220 mini PCI card (Sparklan WMIA-198n) on an Alix 3d2 board
>> running OpenWrt (2.6.32.25 kernel).  I set up the radio in AP mode, give
>> it encryption, then connected with another computer with an Intel
>> 802.11n card.  The connection wasn't reliable, so I tested it with
>> iperf.  When the client sends packets, they almost all make it, but when
>> the AP sends them, no more than 66% make it.  I'm trying to figure out
>> what the problem could be.  It shouldn't be interference--this is in a
>> 5ghz band, and RX was fine.  It could be a bad pigtail or antenna, but
>> I'm not sure how I can test for that.  It might be the motherboard's
>> power supply, so I'm looking into how many watts it can supply (the card
>> specs say it takes ~2.5 watts).  I tried forcing 802.11g mode, and the
>> issue was still there, and I dropped TX power, but it didn't seem to
>> affect anything.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Is there a way to check stats on each antenna?
> What do ping times look like between AP and client?  I'm seeing
> similar behavior with OpenWrt trunk (r24043) and an AP with an AR9160
> chip.  I'm having TX traffic queue up on the AP for seconds at a time,
> so I'll have periods of no traffic at all, and then all the pings will
> come through at once, with times of 8s, 7s, 6s, 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s, 1s,
> and 1.97ms or whatever.  I have two other APs here with different
> drivers and chipsets that don't exhibit this.  I don't remember seeing
> this with recent builds of backfire, so maybe its a relatively recent
> regression in OpenWrt.  You're running trunk, right?  What svn rev?

My ping times are typically between 2ms and 5ms, but around 1 in 15 is
more like 15ms to 50ms.  My 802.11g AP behaves roughly the same.
Traffic could be bunching up, though.  Sometimes the console (over SSH)
won't respond when I hit enter, but a few seconds later, all the new
lines show up.

I'm using r23987, so it might be the same issue.

* [ath9k-devel] TX packets dropped
@ 2010-11-22 16:36   ` David Ehrmann
       [not found]     ` <4CEB4D65.1000403@atheros.com>
From: David Ehrmann @ 2010-11-22 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I guess I got the card wrong--it's a routerboard R52N.  It uses the same
chipset, though.  Here's what's weird: I removed the the card and put it
on a Via Mini ITX motherboard.  I used the exact same OS and
configuration.  My problem went away.  After making sure it wasn't a
power supply issue, I reassembled my old configuration, and now it's
working.  Currently, I'm seeing only 1.1% TX packet drops (and 4.5ms
jitter).

That means that the mini PCI card could have been seated wrong, there's
a short in a pigtail, the pigtail-card connector had problems, or 10
feet and two walls did this.  I'm going to move it back, but if that's
not it, this problem's really worrying because it probably involves a
bad pigtail, I don't know which one it is, and it could happen again if
things get bumped around enough.

@ 2010-11-23  5:27       ` David Ehrmann
From: David Ehrmann @ 2010-11-23  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

20 Mbps.  If I'm in TCP mode, I can get 24 Mbps.  That seems a little
slow when the connection speed is 78Mbps.  If I drop the load to 2Mbps,
the loss practically disappears, so I must be saturating the link.

@ 2010-11-24 16:33         ` Björn Smedman
From: Björn Smedman @ 2010-11-24 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 6:27 AM, David Ehrmann <ehrmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> 20 Mbps. ?If I'm in TCP mode, I can get 24 Mbps. ?That seems a little
> slow when the connection speed is 78Mbps. ?If I drop the load to 2Mbps,
> the loss practically disappears, so I must be saturating the link.

I'm seeing something similar on a completely different platform
(AR913x APSoC) so this can probably be considered "normal".

I don't think link saturation is a reasonable explanation though
because, as you say, rate has to be reduced significantly (an order of
magnitude) before packet loss stops. My guess is some form of race
condition on the TX queue, but that's just speculation.

/Bj?rn