* printing
@ 2010-11-18 23:18 Vedran Vucic
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-18 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello,

When I want to print from my DOS application I cannot print on my USB
HP LP1020 printer. My printer is named Laserprinter in my cups
configuration. When I print from terminal using command
lpr -P Laserprinter nameoffile
it works well.
You can find my dosemu.conf on this link:
http://pastebin.ca/1995898

Please advise.

Thanks,

Veki

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-18 23:52 ` Ivan Baldo
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2010-11-18 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

     Hello.
     The config file seems correct.
     But maybe DOSEmu isn't reading that file but another.
     Please post the file boot.log (usually in ~/.dosemu/boot.log).
     Thanks!!!

El 18/11/10 21:18, Vedran Vucic escribió:
> Hello,
>
> When I want to print from my DOS application I cannot print on my USB
> HP LP1020 printer. My printer is named Laserprinter in my cups
> configuration. When I print from terminal using command
> lpr -P Laserprinter nameoffile
> it works well.
> You can find my dosemu.conf on this link:
> http://pastebin.ca/1995898
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Veki

Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.
Freelance programmer and GNU/Linux system administrator, hire me!
Alternatives: ibaldo@codigolibre.net - http://go.to/ibaldo

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-19  0:02   ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-19  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Baldo; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

Please check this:
http://pastebin.ca/1995937

Thanks,

Veki

@ 2010-11-19  0:14     ` Ivan Baldo
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTin8-qGJ12--1RdfPT-sFB9=dS6Qx11SayLUda+a@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2010-11-19  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

     Hello.
     Your boot.log looks right!
     The DOS application prints to LPT1 or PRN? Maybe it prints to LPT2
or LPT3 in which case you can configure them in dosemu.conf to be the
same printer.
     If you execute under DOS the command "dir >PRN" does it print anything?
     HTH.
     Bye.

El 18/11/10 22:02, Vedran Vucic escribió:
> Hello,
>
> Please check this:
> http://pastebin.ca/1995937
>
> Thanks,
>
> Veki
>
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Ivan Baldo<ibaldo@adinet.com.uy>  wrote:
>
>>     Hello.
>>     The config file seems correct.
>>     But maybe DOSEmu isn't reading that file but another.
>>     Please post the file boot.log (usually in ~/.dosemu/boot.log).
>>     Thanks!!!
>>

>> El 18/11/10 21:18, Vedran Vucic escribió:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I want to print from my DOS application I cannot print on my USB
>>> HP LP1020 printer. My printer is named Laserprinter in my cups
>>> configuration. When I print from terminal using command
>>> lpr -P Laserprinter nameoffile
>>> it works well.
>>> You can find my dosemu.conf on this link:
>>> http://pastebin.ca/1995898
>>>
>>> Please advise.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Veki
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
>>  From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.
>> Freelance programmer and GNU/Linux system administrator, hire me!
>> Alternatives: ibaldo@codigolibre.net - http://go.to/ibaldo

--
Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.

@ 2010-11-19  7:11 ` Andrew Joakimsen
From: Andrew Joakimsen @ 2010-11-19  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 18:18, Vedran Vucic <vedran.vucic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I want to print from my DOS application I cannot print on my USB
> HP LP1020 printer. My printer is named Laserprinter in my cups
> configuration. When I print from terminal using command
> lpr -P Laserprinter nameoffile
> it works well.
> You can find my dosemu.conf on this link:
> http://pastebin.ca/1995898
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Veki

The HP 1020 is not a PCL or postscript printer. You must set your DOS
application to print to a PostScript printer so CUPS can translate it.
There might be a way to convert the output on-the-fly if it's not
PostScript to print it with CUPS but I am not aware of how that
functions. I stick to printers that support PCL and PostScript as they
are compatible with just about anything. Do you see a completed job in
CUPS?

I use a script to e-mail documents "printed" to PCL format, maybe it
can help you troubleshoot:

#! /bin/bash
EMAIL_TO=you@somehwere.no
EMAIL_FROM=$USER@this-domain.no
SUBJECT="Email Report"

# Config above
# Do not edit below
EPOCH=`date +%s` || exit 1
PRNTFILE=`mktemp /root/printjobs/pdfprint.XXXXXXXXXX` || exit 1
PDFFILE=`mktemp /root/pdfs/XXX` || exit 1
rm $PDFFILE
cat "$@" >> $PRNTFILE
pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=$PDFFILE$EPOCH.pdf $PRNTFILE
#rm $PRNTFILE
echo Your report is attached as a .pdf file. |  mail -a
$PDFFILE$EPOCH.pdf -r $EMAIL_FROM -s "$SUBJECT" $EMAIL_TO
~

--
Med Vennlig Hilsen,

A. Helge Joakimsen

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-19 11:35   ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-19 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Joakimsen; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

Dosemu prints normally on that print. Issuing command dir>prn prints normally.
DOS application that I use creates prn files and it worked well with
postscript printers.
I will take yur script into consideration, but I Think that I should
put in dosemu.conf that it should print prn files.
Please advise if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Vedran Vucic

* Re: printing
       [not found]       ` <AANLkTin8-qGJ12--1RdfPT-sFB9=dS6Qx11SayLUda+a@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-20 12:49         ` Ivan Baldo
       [not found]           ` <AANLkTimV3u_wcGxv+p=aBRqEtkfgyXpkgiTS8H3srAWC@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2010-11-20 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic, linux-msdos

     Hello.
     Strange then... it seems everything is configured right but your
specific application doesn't work.
     Have you waited more than 20 seconds?
     Also, you may try putting this in dosemu.conf:
$_lpt1 = "lpr -P Laserprinter"
$_lpt2 = "lpr -P Laserprinter"
$_lpt3 = "lpr -P Laserprinter"
     This is just in case that it uses another port.

     Another thing you can try:
$_lpt1 = "cat >>/tmp/dosemu.lpt1"
$_lpt2 = "cat >>/tmp/dosemu.lpt2"
$_lpt3 = "cat >>/tmp/dosemu.lpt3"
     Then try printing from the program and look at those files in /tmp
to see what they contain.

     Hope this helps!
     Bye.

--
Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.

@ 2010-11-20 20:38           ` Vedran Vucic
       [not found]           ` <AANLkTimV3u_wcGxv+p=aBRqEtkfgyXpkgiTS8H3srAWC@mail.gmail.com>
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-20 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Baldo; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

The first optionbased on lpr -P Laserprinter command didnot work
The second option based on cat command did not produce any files in tmp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Vedran

@ 2010-11-22 11:17             ` Paul Crawford
From: Paul Crawford @ 2010-11-22 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: Ivan Baldo, linux-msdos

On 20/11/10 20:38, Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The first option based on lpr -P Laserprinter command did not work
> The second option based on cat command did not produce any files in tmp.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vedran

Are you sure it is printing to 'lpt' and not doing something suspect
going directly to I/O address 0x378 (where the printer port is located)?

Do you know anything about how the software normally prints?

Regards,
Paul

* Re: printing
       [not found]           ` <AANLkTimV3u_wcGxv+p=aBRqEtkfgyXpkgiTS8H3srAWC@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-22 23:32             ` Ivan Baldo
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2010-11-22 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic, linux-msdos

     Hello.
     That file that you attached seems unrelated to the problem.
     If the "cat" commands don't work then we can exclude CUPS from the
problem, the way that the program prints seems to not be compatible with
DOSEmu.
     From my part, I don't know what else to suggest :-(.
     Do you have the source code of the program? Can you see exactly how
it prints?
     Good luck!!!
P.s.: maybe you can try to use QEmu-KVM or Virtual Box or VMWare or
another virtualization technology to run DOS and the program.

El 20/11/10 18:49, Vedran Vucic escribi贸:
> Hello,
>
> When I tried to print I checked  .var/spool/cups and I attached file
> which may be helpful.
> As far asI see dosemu gives it to cups but cups does not print it.
> INdeed, I print normally from other applications and dosemu itself.
> Maybe it requires some change of format in order to get it printed out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vedran
>

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Ivan Baldo<ibaldo@adinet.com.uy>  wrote:
>
>>     Hello.
>>     Strange then... it seems everything is configured right but your specific
>> application doesn't work.
>>     Have you waited more than 20 seconds?
>>     Also, you may try putting this in dosemu.conf:
>> $_lpt1 = "lpr -P Laserprinter"
>> $_lpt2 = "lpr -P Laserprinter"
>> $_lpt3 = "lpr -P Laserprinter"
>>     This is just in case that it uses another port.
>>
>>     Another thing you can try:
>> $_lpt1 = "cat>>/tmp/dosemu.lpt1"
>> $_lpt2 = "cat>>/tmp/dosemu.lpt2"
>> $_lpt3 = "cat>>/tmp/dosemu.lpt3"
>>     Then try printing from the program and look at those files in /tmp to see
>> what they contain.
>>
>>     Hope this helps!
>>     Bye.
>>

>> El 19/11/10 03:46, Vedran Vucic escribi贸:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I do command: dir>PRN it prints a list of subfolders.
>>>
>>> My DOS application prints to PRN. Any advise?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Veki

>> --
>> Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
>>  From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.
>> Freelance programmer and GNU/Linux system administrator, hire me!
>> Alternatives: ibaldo@codigolibre.net - http://go.to/ibaldo

--
Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.

@ 2010-11-22 23:54               ` Mike McCarty
From: Mike McCarty @ 2010-11-22 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FreeDOS

Ivan Baldo wrote:

Please excuse me replying "through" you, but I didn't get the
other message.

  > El 20/11/10 18:49, Vedran Vucic escribi贸:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I tried to print I checked  .var/spool/cups and I attached file
>> which may be helpful.
>> As far asI see dosemu gives it to cups but cups does not print it.

Have you checked the status of the queue? The printer may be ok,
but the queue may be blocked. Queues may be started and stopped
independently of whether the printer is stopped.

You have found the bank of Larn.

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-23  7:30               ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-23  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Baldo; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

I printed from Dosemu before in earlier versions.  Thus, I do not
think that there is compatibility issue.
When I want my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn
file. Indeed, I would be happy if I could print that .prn file to my
printer :)
I do notr have so7uce of that application. Otherwise, I would publish it.

Best wishes,

Vedran

@ 2010-11-23  8:54                 ` Andrew Joakimsen
From: Andrew Joakimsen @ 2010-11-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: Ivan Baldo, linux-msdos

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 02:30, Vedran Vucic <vedran.vucic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I printed from Dosemu before in earlier versions.  Thus, I do not
> think that there is compatibility issue.
> When I want my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn
> file. Indeed, I would be happy if I could print that .prn file to my
> printer :)
> I do notr have so7uce of that application. Otherwise, I would publish it.
>
> Best wishes,
>

> Vedran
>

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Ivan Baldo <ibaldo@adinet.com.uy> wrote:
>>    Hello.
>>    That file that you attached seems unrelated to the problem.
>>    If the "cat" commands don't work then we can exclude CUPS from the
>> problem, the way that the program prints seems to not be compatible with
>> DOSEmu.
>>    From my part, I don't know what else to suggest :-(.
>>    Do you have the source code of the program? Can you see exactly how it
>> prints?
>>    Good luck!!!
>> P.s.: maybe you can try to use QEmu-KVM or Virtual Box or VMWare or another
>> virtualization technology to run DOS and the program.
>>

>> El 20/11/10 18:49, Vedran Vucic escribió:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I tried to print I checked  .var/spool/cups and I attached file
>>> which may be helpful.
>>> As far asI see dosemu gives it to cups but cups does not print it.
>>> INdeed, I print normally from other applications and dosemu itself.
>>> Maybe it requires some change of format in order to get it printed out?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Vedran

>> --
>> Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
>> From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.
>> Freelance programmer and GNU/Linux system administrator, hire me!
>> Alternatives: ibaldo@codigolibre.net - http://go.to/ibaldo

Maybe you have permissions issues with the other suggestions? Try this
in your configuration:

$_lpt1 = "cat >> ~/dosemu.lpt1"
$_lpt2 = "cat >> ~/dosemu.lpt2"
$_lpt3 = "cat >> ~/dosemu.lpt3"

Now if it's still not working, either 1) there is an issue with
editing the dosemu configuration 2) there is an issue with the DOS
application.

Are you using per-user dosemu config or systemwide? Try to make both
the same if in doubt.
--
Med Vennlig Hilsen,

A. Helge Joakimsen

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-23 18:36                   ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-23 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Joakimsen; +Cc: Ivan Baldo, linux-msdos

Hello,

I do not think that there is any issue with permission since all
attempts I made as root.

I use dosemu.conf systemwide.
I changed dosemu.conf as you suggested and it is not possible to print.
Is it possible to check somehow does DOS application gives print queue
to dosemu to print?
I also want to tell you that the same DOS aplication printed on
previous versions of dosemu.

When I use option in my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn file.
is it possible to print that .prn file from dosemu?

Thanks,

vedran

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-23 19:58                     ` Mike McCarty
From: Mike McCarty @ 2010-11-23 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,

[...]

> When I use option in my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn file.
> is it possible to print that .prn file from dosemu?

Hmm. MSDOS uses PRN as a special device. I wonder if your program
is trying to use that, and it's not getting to the printer. You
know, like CON:

BTW, did you check the queue to see if it's stalled?

Mike

@ 2010-11-23 22:48                       ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-23 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McCarty; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

When I clean /var/spool/cups and do print from my DOS app to printer I
get the queue file like one I sent already but it does not come out to
the printer.
When I get to/var/log/cups/access_log
then I see that last message is that Print Job is successful-ok.
But,nothing comes out of the printer nor printer blinks as a reaction
to receiving data.
When I Go to http://localhost:631 and print test page everything isOK
whichmeans that printer and connection with printer is OK.
Strange, isn't it?
If you want I can again put my dosemu.conf on pastebin.

Thanks,

Vedran

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Mike McCarty
<Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>
> [...]
>
>> When I use option in my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn
>> file.
>> is it possible to print that .prn file from dosemu?
>

> Hmm. MSDOS uses PRN as a special device. I wonder if your program
> is trying to use that, and it's not getting to the printer. You
> know, like CON:
>
> BTW, did you check the queue to see if it's stalled?
>
> Mike
> --
> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
> Oppose globalization and One World Governments like the UN.
> You have found the bank of Larn.
> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-26  1:15                         ` Andrew Joakimsen
From: Andrew Joakimsen @ 2010-11-26  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010, Vedran Vucic <vedran.vucic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I clean /var/spool/cups and do print from my DOS app to printer I
> get the queue file like one I sent already but it does not come out to
> the printer.
> When I get to/var/log/cups/access_log
> then I see that last message is that Print Job is successful-ok.
> But,nothing comes out of the printer nor printer blinks as a reaction
> to receiving data.
> When I Go to http://localhost:631 and print test page everything isOK
> whichmeans that printer and connection with printer is OK.
> Strange, isn't it?
> If you want I can again put my dosemu.conf on pastebin.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vedran
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Mike McCarty
> <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> When I use option in my DOS application to print on screen it creates .prn
>>> file.
>>> is it possible to print that .prn file from dosemu?
>>

>> Hmm. MSDOS uses PRN as a special device. I wonder if your program
>> is trying to use that, and it's not getting to the printer. You
>> know, like CON:
>>
>> BTW, did you check the queue to see if it's stalled?
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>> Oppose globalization and One World Governments like the UN.
>> This message made from 100% recycled bits.
>> You have found the bank of Larn.
>> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>> --

Which, again, goes back to what i said originally:

Your DOS program expects to be running on a real computer, attached to
a real printer. You have what I belive to be a winprinter meaning it
does not work with PCL5 or PostScript languages. Therefore configure
your DOS program to print to a PostScript driver and CUPS should
handle the translation.

If my assumptions about your printer are correct, setting your printer
to use HP LaserJet III driver in CUPS will not work, and I never saw a
PostScript printer that didnt support PCL5.

--
Med Vennlig Hilsen,

A. Helge Joakimsen

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-26  7:56                           ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-26  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Joakimsen; +Cc: Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

Hello,

I want to share firstly a brief history of my problem that lasts at
least  three years in different ways in different versions of dosemu.

First of all I used older version that i used in RedHat 8.0.
Everything worked well.
After that I upgraded dosemu and I used lpd printing and that
"upgraded" version of dosemu with the same DOS application and the
same printer did not print well but in /var/spool/lpd sent file that
was actually ASCII and I imported it in my Openoffice and ptinted it
out. Clumys, but it worked.
At the time I have had on this mailing list discussion with person
called Claudia or so.
When I installed Vector Linux KDE Classic v 6.0 (vectorlinux.com) and
installed dosemu package compatible with Vector Linux and Slackware
12.1 (Vector Linux is Slackware based distro)  my DOS application is
workin well , using CUPS and it does not print nor it creates in
/var/spool/cups anything that can be used to do workaround.
Even more strange is that CUPS reports that print job is accepted and
successfuly done.
Indeed, I print normally using that printer from OpenOffice etc.
If you need more technical information on HP1020 and its driver please
check this site:

http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

Please note what developer of driver says for the printer:
*****************
These printers are often erroneously referred to as winprinters or GDI
printers. However, Microsoft GDI only mandates the API between an
application and the printer driver, not the protocol on the wire
between the printer driver and the printer. In fact, ZjStream printers
are raster printers which happen to use a very efficient wire protocol
which was developed by Zenographics and licensed by most major printer
manufacturers for at least some of their product lines. ZjStream is
just one of many wire protocols that are in use today, such as
Postscript, PCL, Epson, etc.
**********

Please pay attention to the components of driver and their
functionality  on the same page.

Thanks,

vedran

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-26 10:31                             ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: Andrew Joakimsen, Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> [...]
>>> When I Go to http://localhost:631 and print test page everything isOK
>>> whichmeans that printer and connection with printer is OK.
>>> Strange, isn't it?
>>> If you want I can again put my dosemu.conf on pastebin.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Vedran

>> Which, again, goes back to what i said originally:
>>
>> Your DOS program expects to be running on a real computer, attached to
>> a real printer. You have what I belive to be a winprinter meaning it
>> does not work with PCL5 or PostScript languages. Therefore configure
>> your DOS program to print to a PostScript driver and CUPS should
>> handle the translation.
>>
>> If my assumptions about your printer are correct, setting your printer
>> to use HP LaserJet III driver in CUPS will not work, and I never saw a
>> PostScript printer that didnt support PCL5.

Hi Vedran, here Andrew and others tried help You and it seem for me as
You ignore them. Things are probably simple:

- You can print to any printer either:
 1) application is capable sent output in printer language
 2) or there is PPD Linux driver and app is capable sent output in
postscript
 3) or there is PPD Linux driver and you can convert application output
to postscript

You must be clear which above method is possible, and thus you need
know which output format your application can produce - until now I
nowhere in your post saw this information.

- your Laserjet 1020 printer isn't postscript printer, but is supported
in Linux - that means Linux print driver is able convert input
postscript job to printer language.

- is very few DOS apps, which can output in postscript, and probably
none of them know ZjStream protocol. But usually they can print to PCL
printer. Then for me seems best way (and maybe just one) for you:

1)- configure your app to print to PCL printer
2) configure Linux printer with right Linux driver (foo2zjs, you likely
already have it, when you can print from Linux apps)
3) configure DOSEMU printing for convert PCL to PS, as wrote Andrew
before, or as (simple way, without e-mailing):
$_lpt1='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4
-sOutputFile="|lpr -P YourPrinter1" -'
$_lpt2='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=-
-|lpr -P YourPrinter2'

"pcl6" command is from GhostPCL package, which is available at:
http://www.artifex.com/downloads/

When You will wish examine your app output, you can configure its output
to file:
$_lpt1 = "cat >/tmp/MyAppOutput"

Regards, Franta Hanzlik
(Sorry for my English)

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27  7:42                               ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-27  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frantisek Hanzlik; +Cc: Andrew Joakimsen, Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

Hello,

When I applied what you suggested and compiled GhostPCL I got the
following error message when I started dosemu:
root:# dosemu
In file included from built-in global.conf:122
                 from :122
Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) syntax error
Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command 'sOutputFile'
Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command
'"|lpr -P Laserprinter"'
3 error(s) detected while parsing the configuration-file

My global.conf is here:
http://pastebin.ca/2003520

My dosemu.conf is here:

http://pastebin.ca/2003522

Thanks,

Vedran

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27 15:44                                 ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-27 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: Andrew Joakimsen, Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I applied what you suggested and compiled GhostPCL I got the
> following error message when I started dosemu:
> root:# dosemu
> In file included from built-in global.conf:122
>                  from :122
> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) syntax error
> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command 'sOutputFile'
> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command
> '"|lpr -P Laserprinter"'
> 3 error(s) detected while parsing the configuration-file
>
> My global.conf is here:
> http://pastebin.ca/2003520
>
> My dosemu.conf is here:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/2003522

>> Hi Vedran, here Andrew and others tried help You and it seem for me as
>> You ignore them. Things are probably simple:
>>
>> - You can print to any printer either:
>>  1) application is capable sent output in printer language
>>  2) or there is PPD Linux driver and app is capable sent output in
>> postscript
>>  3) or there is PPD Linux driver and you can convert application output
>> to postscript
>>
>> You must be clear which above method is possible, and thus you need
>> know which output format your application can produce - until now I
>> nowhere in your post saw this information.
>>
>> - your Laserjet 1020 printer isn't postscript printer, but is supported
>> in Linux - that means Linux print driver is able convert input
>> postscript job to printer language.
>>
>> - is very few DOS apps, which can output in postscript, and probably
>> none of them know ZjStream protocol. But usually they can print to PCL
>> printer. Then for me seems best way (and maybe just one) for you:
>>
>> 1)- configure your app to print to PCL printer
>> 2) configure Linux printer with right Linux driver (foo2zjs, you likely
>> already have it, when you can print from Linux apps)
>> 3) configure DOSEMU printing for convert PCL to PS, as wrote Andrew
>> before, or as (simple way, without e-mailing):
>> $_lpt1='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4
>> -sOutputFile="|lpr -P YourPrinter1" -'
>> $_lpt2='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=-
>> -|lpr -P YourPrinter2'
>>
>> "pcl6" command is from GhostPCL package, which is available at:
>> http://www.artifex.com/downloads/
>>
>> When You will wish examine your app output, you can configure its output
>> to file:
>> $_lpt1 = "cat >/tmp/MyAppOutput"

Hello Vedran,
both lines in my post starting "$_lpt1=..." and "$_lpt2=..." are wrapped
by mail client, thus part

-sOutputFile="|lpr -P Laserprinter"

should be at end of previous line (and this must be uncommented, of course).
And You have omitted postrophe sign at its end. Entire line must end
with apostrophe "'" - all after

$_lpt1=

is command, which is run by dosemu and at its stdin dosemu pushes print
job from dos app (see dosemu doc). And entire this command is escaped
with apostrophes (').

Franta

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27 16:10                                 ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-27 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: Andrew Joakimsen, Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I applied what you suggested and compiled GhostPCL I got the
> following error message when I started dosemu:
> root:# dosemu
> In file included from built-in global.conf:122
>                  from :122
> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) syntax error
> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command 'sOutputFile'
> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command
> '"|lpr -P Laserprinter"'
> 3 error(s) detected while parsing the configuration-file
>
> My global.conf is here:
> http://pastebin.ca/2003520
>
> My dosemu.conf is here:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/2003522

Sorry, I yet noticed that You omit minus (-) sign at end of "$_lpt1="
command ("-" sign mean, for pcl6 command, it must read its input from
stdin). All command line should be as:

$_lpt1='pcl6 ... -sOutputFile="|lpr -P MyPrinter" -'

(see attached full-length version)

FH

[-- Attachment #2: dosemu_PCL-to-PS_defined_print.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 259 bytes --]

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27 16:37                                   ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-27 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frantisek Hanzlik; +Cc: Andrew Joakimsen, Mike McCarty, linux-msdos

Hello,

When I corrected as  you mentioned dosemu started normally. I entered
my DOS application and tried toprint, but in terminal I have seen
error message that pcl6 command is not found.
Any suggestion? Any link or slink needed for that purpose?  Is there
any path tweaking required?

Best wishes,

Vedran Vucic

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote:
> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I applied what you suggested and compiled GhostPCL I got the
>> following error message when I started dosemu:
>> root:# dosemu
>> In file included from built-in global.conf:122
>>                  from :122
>> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) syntax error
>> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command 'sOutputFile'
>> Error in /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf: (line 363) unrecognized command
>> '"|lpr -P Laserprinter"'
>> 3 error(s) detected while parsing the configuration-file
>>
>> My global.conf is here:
>> http://pastebin.ca/2003520
>>
>> My dosemu.conf is here:
>>
>> http://pastebin.ca/2003522
>
> Sorry, I yet noticed that You omit minus (-) sign at end of "$_lpt1="
> command ("-" sign mean, for pcl6 command, it must read its input from
> stdin). All command line should be as:
>
> $_lpt1='pcl6 ... -sOutputFile="|lpr -P MyPrinter" -'
>
> (see attached full-length version)
>
> FH

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27 17:44                                     ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-27 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I corrected as  you mentioned dosemu started normally. I entered
> my DOS application and tried toprint, but in terminal I have seen
> error message that pcl6 command is not found.
> Any suggestion? Any link or slink needed for that purpose?  Is there
> any path tweaking required?

You wrote before You build ghostpdl package itself.
Was compiled properly?

Was properly installed?

Is pcl6 binary runnable?

Is pcl6 binary in PATH in dosemu environment? (when no, you can specify
absolute path, e.g. $_lpt1='/my/path/pcl6 ...

You should probably in this phase tune both things, dosemu and
pcl6/ghostpdl, separately:

1) in dosemu.conf lpt specification configure output to normal file:

$_lpt1='cat >/tmp/x.pcl'

and verify that file "/tmp/x.pcl" is rightly created and is in PCL format.

2) verify that pcl6 command work right by manually creating postscript
file from previous PCL:

pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl

and again verify that file "/tmp/x.pcl" is rightly created and is in
postscript format

3) verify this postscript file printing:

lpr -P Laserprinter x.ps

When all this steps works, You can set final "$_lpt1='....'" command in
dosemu.conf, as you have now.

!!ATTENTION!! Sorry for mistake in all my previous mails: I incorrectly
specify "-sDEVICE=" parameter to "pdfwrite", which is obviously bad (I
clipboard copy this from my cfg, where I use pcl6 to create PDF
documents from DOS print output).
Right parameter value should be "pswrite":

$_lpt1='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4

@ 2010-11-27 18:53                                       ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frantisek Hanzlik; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

I installed ghostpdl properly.
When I do:
$_lpt1='cat >/tmp/x.pcl'
I get in /tmp folder file that is output from the program and it is
actually text file.

When I do other command:
pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl
I got the following error message:
Warning interpreter exited with error code -1
Flushing to end of job

Obviously interpreter is an issue.

I think that we are very close to the solution. DO you have any idea
about -1 error code of interpreter?

Thanks,

Vedran

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote:
> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I corrected as  you mentioned dosemu started normally. I entered
>> my DOS application and tried toprint, but in terminal I have seen
>> error message that pcl6 command is not found.
>> Any suggestion? Any link or slink needed for that purpose?  Is there
>> any path tweaking required?
>
> You wrote before You build ghostpdl package itself.
> Was compiled properly?
>
> Was properly installed?
>
> Is pcl6 binary runnable?
>
> Is pcl6 binary in PATH in dosemu environment? (when no, you can specify
> absolute path, e.g. $_lpt1='/my/path/pcl6 ...
>
> You should probably in this phase tune both things, dosemu and
> pcl6/ghostpdl, separately:
>
> 1) in dosemu.conf lpt specification configure output to normal file:
>
> $_lpt1='cat >/tmp/x.pcl'
>
> and verify that file "/tmp/x.pcl" is rightly created and is in PCL format.
>

> 2) verify that pcl6 command work right by manually creating postscript
> file from previous PCL:
>
> pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl
>
> and again verify that file "/tmp/x.pcl" is rightly created and is in
> postscript format
>

> 3) verify this postscript file printing:
>
> lpr -P Laserprinter x.ps
>

> When all this steps works, You can set final "$_lpt1='....'" command in
> dosemu.conf, as you have now.
>
> !!ATTENTION!! Sorry for mistake in all my previous mails: I incorrectly
> specify "-sDEVICE=" parameter to "pdfwrite", which is obviously bad (I
> clipboard copy this from my cfg, where I use pcl6 to create PDF
> documents from DOS print output).
> Right parameter value should be "pswrite":
>
> $_lpt1='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4
> -sOutputFile="|lpr -P YourPrinter1" -'
>
> FH

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27 20:08                                         ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed ghostpdl properly.
> When I do:
> $_lpt1='cat >/tmp/x.pcl'
> I get in /tmp folder file that is output from the program and it is
> actually text file.
>
> When I do other command:
> pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl
> I got the following error message:
> Warning interpreter exited with error code -1
> Flushing to end of job
>
> Obviously interpreter is an issue.
>
> I think that we are very close to the solution. DO you have any idea
> about -1 error code of interpreter?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vedran
>

> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote:
>> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I corrected as  you mentioned dosemu started normally. I entered
>>> my DOS application and tried toprint, but in terminal I have seen
>>> error message that pcl6 command is not found.
>>> Any suggestion? Any link or slink needed for that purpose?  Is there
>>> any path tweaking required?
>>
>> You wrote before You build ghostpdl package itself.
>> Was compiled properly?
>>
>> Was properly installed?
>>
>> Is pcl6 binary runnable?
>>
>> Is pcl6 binary in PATH in dosemu environment? (when no, you can specify
>> absolute path, e.g. $_lpt1='/my/path/pcl6 ...
>>
>> You should probably in this phase tune both things, dosemu and
>> pcl6/ghostpdl, separately:
>>
>> 1) in dosemu.conf lpt specification configure output to normal file:
>>
>> $_lpt1='cat >/tmp/x.pcl'
>>
>> and verify that file "/tmp/x.pcl" is rightly created and is in PCL format.
>>

>> 2) verify that pcl6 command work right by manually creating postscript
>> file from previous PCL:
>>
>> pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl
>>
>> and again verify that file "/tmp/x.pcl" is rightly created and is in
>> postscript format
>>

>> 3) verify this postscript file printing:
>>
>> lpr -P Laserprinter x.ps
>>

>> When all this steps works, You can set final "$_lpt1='....'" command in
>> dosemu.conf, as you have now.
>>
>> !!ATTENTION!! Sorry for mistake in all my previous mails: I incorrectly
>> specify "-sDEVICE=" parameter to "pdfwrite", which is obviously bad (I
>> clipboard copy this from my cfg, where I use pcl6 to create PDF
>> documents from DOS print output).
>> Right parameter value should be "pswrite":
>>
>> $_lpt1='pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -dNOPAUSE -sPAPERSIZE=a4
>> -sOutputFile="|lpr -P YourPrinter1" -'
>>
>> FH

I never got with ghostpdl to any bigger problems and not sure how
diagnose your.

You can try some pcl6 (gs) debug switches, here is their doc:
http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscript/trunk/gs/doc/Use.htm#Debug_switches
You can study ghostpdl source code.

Can you send me (or past somewhere for download) your PCL output from
DOS app? I can probe convert it with my ghostpdl build.

Have you installed and rightly configured URW TTF fonts? ghostpdl
package require them.

S pozdravem
František Hanzlík

Luční 502           Linux/Unix/LAN/Internet       Tel: +420-373729699
33209 Štěnovice      e-mail:it@hanzlici.cz        Fax: +420-373729699
Czech Republic         http://hanzlici.cz/        GSM: +420-604117319
Tento mail neobsahuje viry, byl odeslán z operačního systému Linux

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-27 21:12                                           ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-27 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frantisek Hanzlik; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

Please find attached output of my DOS application.
Fonts are in /usr/local/ghostpdl-8.71/urwfonts

I am not sure that pcl6 is aware oftheirlocation.

I still have the same error message.

Thanks,

vedran

[-- Attachment #2: x.pcl --]

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-28  2:20                                             ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-28  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please find attached output of my DOS application.
> Fonts are in /usr/local/ghostpdl-8.71/urwfonts
>
> I am not sure that pcl6 is aware oftheirlocation.
>
> I still have the same error message.
>
> Thanks,
>
> vedran
>

> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote:
>> Vedran Vucic wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I installed ghostpdl properly.
>>> When I do:
>>> $_lpt1='cat >/tmp/x.pcl'
>>> I get in /tmp folder file that is output from the program and it is
>>> actually text file.
>>>
>>> When I do other command:
>>> pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl
>>> I got the following error message:
>>> Warning interpreter exited with error code -1
>>> Flushing to end of job
>>>
>>> Obviously interpreter is an issue.
>>>
>>> I think that we are very close to the solution. DO you have any idea
>>> about -1 error code of interpreter?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Vedran

>> I never got with ghostpdl to any bigger problems and not sure how
>> diagnose your.
>>
>> You can try some pcl6 (gs) debug switches, here is their doc:
>> http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscript/trunk/gs/doc/Use.htm#Debug_switches
>> You can study ghostpdl source code.
>>
>> Can you send me (or past somewhere for download) your PCL output from
>> DOS app? I can probe convert it with my ghostpdl build.
>>
>> Have you installed and rightly configured URW TTF fonts? ghostpdl
>> package require them.

My pcl6 works likely OK (see its output at:
http://www.hanzlici.cz/tmp/x.ps.bz2
), there is probably some wrong in your ghostpdl package.

Regarding TTF fonts location - problem may be there, you should correct
their path, this which is defined in ghostpdl source codes seems
appropriate for windos build.

I have located fonts in "/usr/share/fonts/urw-ttf/", then I patched
"pl/pjparse.c" as you can see in attached patch (there are some other
smaller patches, as I want use zlib and png system shared libraries
etc., and use some paths as conventional in my distro (Fedora).

SPEC file, which describe how I build ghostpdl and font RPM packages, is
contained in source rpm
(http://www.hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/ghostpdl/14/ghostpdl-8.71-2.fc14.src.rpm)
or i got it for you to
http://www.hanzlici.cz/tmp/ghostpdl-8.71-fc14.spec
Notice instaled libpaper-devel, freeglut-devel, expat-devel,
libjpeg-devel, libpng-devel and zlib-devel packages.

At http://www.hanzlici.cz/packages/fedora/ghostpdl/14/ are my ghostpdl
RPM packages for current Fedora version (14; I have at this site dosemu
RPM packages as well)

Hope this help.
Franta Hanzlik

[-- Attachment #2: ghostpdl-fedora-8.71.patch.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 1163 bytes --]

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-29  6:10                                               ` Vedran Vucic
From: Vedran Vucic @ 2010-11-29  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frantisek Hanzlik; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hello,

I recompiled ghostpdl with fonts and I have done print from my
DOSapplication to /tmpwith x.pclasoutput.

After that I have done command pcl6.....
and I Got message that it cannot read x.pcl file which is actually the
same that I sent you already.
Everything is done as root so permissions are not issue.

best wishes,

Vedran

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-29  7:09                                                 ` Frantisek Hanzlik
From: Frantisek Hanzlik @ 2010-11-29  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vedran Vucic; +Cc: linux-msdos

Vedran Vucic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recompiled ghostpdl with fonts and I have done print from my
> DOSapplication to /tmpwith x.pclasoutput.
>
> After that I have done command pcl6.....
> and I Got message that it cannot read x.pcl file which is actually the
> same that I sent you already.
> Everything is done as root so permissions are not issue.
>
> best wishes,
>
> Vedran

Are You sure that Your pcl6 command syntax is right? In minimal version it should be as:

pcl6 -sDEVICE=pswrite -sOutputFile=x.ps x.pcl

What print pcl6 command, when you run it without parameters? My output is:
$ pcl6
Usage: pcl6 [option* file]+...
         -sDEVICE=<dev> -g<W>x<H> -r<X>[x<Y>] -d{First|Last}Page=<#>
         -J<PJL commands>
Version: 8.71 (r10735 released 2010-02-10)
Build date: Thu Nov 25 02:45:35 2010
Devices: x11 x11alpha x11mono x11cmyk ljet4 djet500 cljet5pr cljet5c
 bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags pcxmono pcxgray pcxcmyk pswrite pdfwrite pxlmono
 pxlcolor bmpmono bmp16m bmpsep8 pbmraw pgmraw ppmraw png16m pngmono
 jpeg wtscmyk wtsimdi imdi nullpage

At end You can debug program (e.g. with strace). But then it seems as is something wrong in your build. You can compare your outputs from ./configure with mine - they are at:
http://www.hanzlici.cz/tmp/configs.tar.bz2

It is probably all what I can help You, I'm not big programmer and debugging like this over mailing list is problematic.

Franta Hanzlik

* Re: printing
@ 2010-11-29 18:39 ` Ken Heard
From: Ken Heard @ 2010-11-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

* Re: Printing
       [not found]   ` <1049541317.1761.7.camel@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2003-04-06 15:32   ` S. Barret Dolph
From: S. Barret Dolph @ 2003-04-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

My apologies for incomplete answers. I am trying to figure how to find
the answers to your questions.

> 1. How is your printer physically connected to the system? (parport,
> serial, USB, network?) If it is a parport printer, do you have all the
> right modules installed?

The printer is connected by a cable to the computer but it is not USB.

> 2. Which lpd daemon does Mandrake 9 use?
I don't know but will look this up.

> 3. What printer is it? Does the Linux printer site (I've misplaced the URL,
> so you'll need to search for it) report anything special about it and Linux?

HP Laserjet 1100 but there is nothing special listed on the Linux
printer site about the printer.

> 4. What does its entry in /etc/printcap look like?

# This file was automatically generated by cupsd(8) from the
# /etc/cups/printers.conf file.  All changes to this file
# will be lost.
Printer:

> 5. How are you trying to print under Linux? (What apps are you printing from?)

Gnome Ximian Evolution, KWord, Kspread, Mozilla.

> 6. What happens if you try to dump a file directly to the printer? (How you
> do this depends on the answer to Q1, but an example would be: "cat
> /etc/passwd >/dev/lp0").

Don't understand but I am checking on this.

> 7. Assuming you are using a typical lpd daemon, what do these result in?
>
>          A. lpr -pdefault /etc/passwd
>          B. lpq
>
> (Change "default" if the printer use a different printcap entry.)
Checking this out. (Ie. Don't understand.)

> 8. Did this printer work under any other version fo Linux, or is this your
> first try using it with a Linux system? If the first, please provide details.

Worked ok under an older version of Mandrake.

> 9. Does your general description of the problem conceal any pattern you've
> seen? For example, after a boot/init, the first attempt to print works but
> not later ones? Or power-cycling the printer causes printing temporarily to
> resume? Or ... ???

I still can't find a pattern. I haven't been able to figure out when the
printing finally comes.

-

@ 2003-04-05 16:22     ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-04-05 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S. Barret Dolph; +Cc: linux-newbie

I assume your sending this as a private reply, rather than to the list, was
a typo. I've added the list back in via a Cc: entry.

You chose not to answer pretty much all of my questions, or to answer them
in ways that are uselessly vague (e.g., "I tried several different apps
..."). That's your choice, of course. But I'm afraid that the tiny bit of
added info you chose to send does not make me think of anything new. (My
next step would be to check the Linux printer database .. it might indicate
what to do about the empty printcap file, which is surely involved in your
problem ... but I already suggested doing that, so it is not anything new.)

I can't give you decent advice about how to fix printcap because you tell
me too little about the printer -- for example, telling me it previously
worked in reply to "How is your printer physically connected to the
system?" does not let me give you the appropriate printcap entry to access it.

Possibly someone else here will see something in your reply that I missed.

@ 2003-04-01 17:08 ` Ray Olszewski
       [not found]   ` <1049541317.1761.7.camel@localhost.localdomain>
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-04-01 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S. Barret Dolph, linux-newbie

@ 2003-04-01  9:23 S. Barret Dolph
From: S. Barret Dolph @ 2003-04-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

@ 2002-11-22  3:38   ` James A. Goodwin
From: James A. Goodwin @ 2002-11-22  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

>At 09:16 PM 11/17/02, James A. Goodwin wrote:
>>I have a small home network that contains 3 machines
>>
>>Linux 2.4.5
>>Win98
>>Max OS 9.1
>>
>>I have Samba and netatalk set up for file-sharing.
>>
>>I am setting up printing on an HP842C using apsfilter.
>
>How is this printer connected to the network (which machine, if any,
>hosts it)?
The printer is connected to the Linux machine /dev/lp0 and is set up
using apsfilter.

>Windows is broken?  Have you tried HP's own drivers for this
>printer, that always just works for me.

What I ended up doing is making a second printer queue for use by
Windows that doesn't use a filter and using HP's driver.  I don't
really like this solution but for a small network, it works.

Regards,
Jim

* Re: Printing
@ 2002-11-19 15:30 ` Scott Taylor