* [Buildroot] beagleboard support
@ 2011-01-18  1:06 Steve Calfee
From: Steve Calfee @ 2011-01-18  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I found a patch from last may proposing a beagleboard defconfig, but it is not
in my 11/10 release of buildroot. Does anyone know the status of beagleboard
support?

Thanks, Steve

* [Buildroot] beagleboard support
@ 2011-01-18 18:20 ` Maxime Petazzoni
From: Maxime Petazzoni @ 2011-01-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Steve,

* Steve Calfee <nospamcalfee@yahoo.com> [2011-01-17 17:06:51]:

> I found a patch from last may proposing a beagleboard defconfig, but it is not
> in my 11/10 release of buildroot. Does anyone know the status of beagleboard
> support?

AFAIK BeagleBoard support has not been merged in yet. The patch from
last May is being progressively reworked. I recently submitted a patch
for X-Loader support which is a pre-requesite to BeagleBoard support. We
then need to implement building a kernel from Git instead of from a
released tarball (kernel trees with BeagleBoard support are usually not
tarballed), and finally we can add the board support.

I haven't heard anything back on my X-Loader support patch though, but I
guess everyone is pretty busy in the beginning of the new year.

- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''
>> I found a patch from last may proposing a beagleboard defconfig, but it is not
>> in my 11/10 release of buildroot. Does anyone know the status of beagleboard
>> support?
>>

> AFAIK BeagleBoard support has not been merged in yet. The patch from
> last May is being progressively reworked. I recently submitted a patch
> for X-Loader support which is a pre-requesite to BeagleBoard support. We
> then need to implement building a kernel from Git instead of from a
> released tarball (kernel trees with BeagleBoard support are usually not
> tarballed), and finally we can add the board support.
>
> I haven't heard anything back on my X-Loader support patch though, but I
> guess everyone is pretty busy in the beginning of the new year.

Sorry for not having found the time to comment your patch timely. I'll do it now.

Your contribution is naturally appreciated, but what I think is that X-loader
should not be in buildroot at all. Although it has historical merits, I find
X-loader totally useless nowadays. I develop the buildsystem for a custom OMAP3
board, and I completely eliminated X-loader with great relief.

X-loader is made for two uses:
1. a serial loader for being able to burn a "main" bootloader (e.g. U-boot) onto
   an empty or corrupted flash (a "bricked" board);
2. a 2nd stage bootloader for normal boot, being run by the boot ROM (1st stage
   bootloader) and used to run the "main", or 3rd, bootloader (e.g. U-boot).

For the first usage, I found that barebox is a great alternative. In its
omap3530_beagle_per_uart_defconfig it has the same functionality as X-loader,
but it is well-written, supported and actively developed (while X-loader is a
fork from a very ancient version of U-boot).

About the second usage, a 2nd stage bootloader is just not needed. The OMAP3
boot ROM can directly boot the "main" bootloader if the latter is prefixed by a
suitable configuration header. You can read more about this at
http://nishanthmenon.blogspot.com/2009/05/configuration-header-no-more-x-loader.html

Finally, I don't know if X-loader can act as a "main" bootloader but I think it
doesn't. Anyway, since barebox and U-boot are around, would you choose anything
else?

Instead of putting efforts on integrating X-loader, I would instead investigate
how to integrate in buildroot the steps to generate a bootloader with a
configuration header (as per Nishanth's blog entry). I hadn't time to do it so
far, but I'd be glad to to so if time permits, as well as to review someone
else's proposal.

Luca