* Patching from a file containing a compressed directory (<directory>.tar.bz2)
@ 2011-01-26 21:32 Ulf Samuelsson
From: Ulf Samuelsson @ 2011-01-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

     Trying to change the at91 linux recipes.
     The "experimental" patches to be added on top of the "maxim" patch
     can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.at91.com/ and that file
     is generated from a directory of patches, which should be applied
     in alphabetical order.

     When the "obvious" SRC_URI  is used:

     ftp://ftp.at91.com/<directory>.tar.bz2;apply=yes \

      the files do not get applied in alphabetical order.

     It looks to me like they get applied in reverse order,  but I did
not check carefully.
     I tried adding a "series" file, and recompress, but that failed as
well.

     Any clue on how to get the patches applied in alphabetical order?

     If the patches are in a subdirectory to the recipe, and applied
manually
     everything is OK, but that seems to be a shame to have to resort to
that.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

* Re: Patching from a file containing a compressed directory (<directory>.tar.bz2)
@ 2011-01-26 22:57 ` Ulf Samuelsson
From: Ulf Samuelsson @ 2011-01-26 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2011-01-26 22:32, Ulf Samuelsson skrev:
>     Trying to change the at91 linux recipes.
>     The "experimental" patches to be added on top of the "maxim" patch
>     can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.at91.com/ and that file
>     is generated from a directory of patches, which should be applied
>     in alphabetical order.
>
>     When the "obvious" SRC_URI  is used:
>
>     ftp://ftp.at91.com/<directory>.tar.bz2;apply=yes \
>
>      the files do not get applied in alphabetical order.
>
>     It looks to me like they get applied in reverse order,  but I did
> not check carefully.
>     I tried adding a "series" file, and recompress, but that failed as
> well.
>
>     Any clue on how to get the patches applied in alphabetical order?
>
>     If the patches are in a subdirectory to the recipe, and applied
> manually
>     everything is OK, but that seems to be a shame to have to resort
> to that.

BTW: I figured out that I can avoid applying the file as a patch,
and just let the file be decompressed to ${WORKDIR}, and then
apply the patches manually in a "do_patch_prepend" function.

Drawback is that if there are working patches before this,
then they also need to be applied manually.

Seems strange that the patches are not applied in alphabetical order.

--

@ 2011-01-27  0:19 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2011-01-27  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: Patching from a file containing a compressed directory (<directory>.tar.bz2)
@ 2011-01-27 23:17   ` Ulf Samuelsson
From: Ulf Samuelsson @ 2011-01-27 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2011-01-27 01:19, Koen Kooi skrev:

> On 26-01-11 22:32, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>      Trying to change the at91 linux recipes.
>>      The "experimental" patches to be added on top of the "maxim" patch
>>      can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.at91.com/ and that file
>>      is generated from a directory of patches, which should be applied
>>      in alphabetical order.
>>
>>      When the "obvious" SRC_URI  is used:
>>
>>      ftp://ftp.at91.com/<directory>.tar.bz2;apply=yes \
>>
>>       the files do not get applied in alphabetical order.
>>
>>      It looks to me like they get applied in reverse order,  but I did
>> not check carefully.
>>      I tried adding a "series" file, and recompress, but that failed as
>> well.
>>
>>      Any clue on how to get the patches applied in alphabetical order?
>>
>>      If the patches are in a subdirectory to the recipe, and applied
>> manually
>>      everything is OK, but that seems to be a shame to have to resort to
>> that.
> We don't want such behaviour, putting the patches in OE and adding them
> to SRC_URI is the only acceptable way to do this.

Well no, there is always an option to take the file,
"cat" all the files together to a single file,
which will result in the patches beeing applied in the correct order.

Less ugly than adding 94 patches and listing them in the recipe...

By "Manual", I mean:

do_apply_at91_exp_patch () {
     cd    ${S}
     for    f in `ls ../${PV}-at91-exp.4/*.patch` ; do
         cat $f    | patch -p1
     done
}

Why would that be a problem?

To me, maintaining this is much less work than maintaining a
SRC_URI statement.

Obviously, it would be better if the build system
had a defined order when applying patches from a file
containing multiple patches.

@ 2011-01-28  1:07     ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2011-01-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Ulf Samuelsson
<ulf.samuelsson@atmel.com> wrote:
> To me, maintaining this is much less work than maintaining a
> SRC_URI statement.
>
> Obviously, it would be better if the build system
> had a defined order when applying patches from a file
> containing multiple patches.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that it's the build
system that's handling that.  It just calls quilt/patch to apply it..
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com