* [mlmmj] Conditionals in list texts
@ 2010-11-22  9:39 Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2010-11-22  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi, everyone,

As I mentioned earlier, I am planning to implement a feature or few that affect
list texts before producing a 1.2.18 release candidate. This probably includes the
ability to reject held posts, simultaneous subscription and moderation (which I
will email about shortly), and auto wrapping in list texts. These have all been
raised on the list before.

Another feature I would like to implement, in order to simplify list texts,
particularly so we can have fewer of them, is conditional sections. These would be
much like the C preprocessor's #if #else #endif directives, and could be used to
include or exclude parts of listtexts dependent upon various list parameters (e.g.
whether subscription is enabled, which version of the list is being subscribed to,
etc.). It would use some variant of the $whatever$ syntax, and I expect at first
that it will be very simple, probably not supporting any boolean operations or
nesting or anything.

It would reduce the number of listtexts, making a number of them more generic, but
to aid transition, at first I would look for the more specific ones as a priority,
and fall back to the new generic ones, so people's old texts continue to work.

Any comments on this before I dive in?

Ben.

* Re: [mlmmj] Conditionals in list texts
@ 2011-01-21 10:23 ` Florian Effenberger
From: Florian Effenberger @ 2011-01-21 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi Ben,

2010/11/22 Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@yahoo.com.au>:

> As I mentioned earlier, I am planning to implement a feature or few that
> affect list texts before producing a 1.2.18 release candidate. This probably
> includes the ability to reject held posts, simultaneous subscription and
> moderation (which I will email about shortly), and auto wrapping in list
> texts. These have all been raised on the list before.

this sounds really promising, thanks for all your work!

Do you know when the new texts will be available? I'm asking because
we over at The Document Foundation plan to localize the list texts in
a variety of languages and contribute them back to you. If it takes
some more months, I would translate the current texts, but if it's a
matter of weeks, we could already work on the new ones. :-)

Florian

* Re: [mlmmj] Conditionals in list texts
@ 2011-01-27  3:57 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2011-01-27  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

> Do you know when the new texts will be available? I'm asking because
> we over at The Document Foundation plan to localize the list texts in
> a variety of languages and contribute them back to you. If it takes
> some more months, I would translate the current texts, but if it's a
> matter of weeks, we could already work on the new ones. :-)

Drafting the texts is at the very top of my Mlmmj priority list, so it
will happen as soon as I have any time for Mlmmj. I am currently about a
month behind my intended schedule, so I don't want to hastily promise
when I'll get this done, only to then run late. But my hope is that this
is only a few weeks away, at worst.

Ben.